Sleepers, getcher sleepers

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Zumaya in one of my leagues, despite the fact that holds is not a stat category. I also have Joe Nathan, J.J. Putz, Tom Gordon and Francisco Cordero in that league. That's what happens when eight people autodraft and four people draft live, and only one of them is paying attention to pitching.

If you're in a really deep league, then Zumaya is a good guy to have. This is of course assuming that you don't need anymore starters, and that there aren't any good closers available. I like having a middle reliever or two -- a lot of times they'll bring down your ratios, and in Zumaya's case will pad your K as well, without eating up a lot of your innings.

My draft is a week from Saturday. I'm getting antsy.

this just in: my cousin preranked dan haren above johan santana

Your cousin has no business playing fantasy baseball. I hope he doesn't have any money riding on that league.

Your cousin has no business playing fantasy baseball. I hope he doesn't have any money riding on that league.

he's actually a she. and i think my uncle will probably take money from her just for being that dumb. what's sad is she knows her baseball... i'm now pondering if she is on drugs... also, my older brother usually just tries to get as many red sox as possible. and then somehow he always ends up winning the league.

BJ Upton. No way that Ben Zobrist is gonna make it out of april.

i haven't drafted my other team yet though so there's still time for an all sleeper team.

I'm still holding out hope that BJ Upton will be the Marlins centerfielder by opening day, and will put up a Hanley Ramirez-lite season (which in itself is a Jose Reyes-super lite season, which is still awesome.), which would make him arguably the most productive center fielder in Marlins history.

I'm still holding out hope that BJ Upton will be the Marlins centerfielder by opening day, and will put up a Hanley Ramirez-lite season (which in itself is a Jose Reyes-super lite season, which is still awesome.), which would make him arguably the most productive center fielder in Marlins history.

so are you impressed with my pick?

If you're in a really deep league, then Zumaya is a good guy to have. This is of course assuming that you don't need anymore starters, and that there aren't any good closers available. I like having a middle reliever or two -- a lot of times they'll bring down your ratios, and in Zumaya's case will pad your K as well, without eating up a lot of your innings.

Well, I don't play in an innings-limited league, so I don't have to worry about that whole thing.

I just think middle relievers, more than any other position fluctuate more year to year. With the exception of Scott Shields (always beastly, and a good pickup in case K-Rod gets hurt, which just seems inevitably when you watch him pitch), Mike Gonzalez (who I can't see being all that great since his WHIP and K rate don't support a sub 2.5 era, unless he sports a ridiculous ground ball ratio, but I can't find anything to support that), and a couple of others, most of them vary widely from year to year.

Zumaya's always had good home run ratios in the minors, but he's the type of pitcher who relies on extremely low hits allowed, and that is one category that can fluctuate widely based on a few factors (defense, mostly). But he does put up some ridiculous strikeout numbers, so he'll probably be pretty effective. Relievers aren't bad in fantasy leagues if you don't have any better option. It's always a better idea to put Zumaya or Shields in if your only other alternative is Brian Moehler or Mark Redman.

so are you impressed with my pick?

It's a good pick, but it's kind of boring to pick a former top prospect in all of baseball as a sleeper. I'll allow it, though, as I'm a huge fan of Upton's and I would love to see him in Teal and black (as opposed to like, teal-ish and grey, or whatever the rays have). The Rays have so many good position players, it's ridiculous...

It's a good pick, but it's kind of boring to pick a former top prospect in all of baseball as a sleeper. I'll allow it, though, as I'm a huge fan of Upton's and I would love to see him in Teal and black (as opposed to like, teal-ish and grey, or whatever the rays have). The Rays have so many good position players, it's ridiculous...

i picked him last year too, and he got sent down to the minors.

I really cannot wait to do my keeper league draft this sunday. I'm keeping Upton, Santana, Uggla, Willingham, Chris Ray and Carlos Quinten. I think that sets me up with a decent bench, and the top starting pitcher in the game. I'm also going to go for Ben Sheets if he comes under 15-20 and probably gonna go all out for Peavy. Chris Ray will give me a good starting point for saves, so I may just ignore them inthe draft and play the waiver wire for saves.

I think most of my keepers are going to be bench warmers for a good part of the year, though I have to say, if I can work it out so Quinten and WIllingham are my 4th and 5th outfielders, and pick up 3 other guys who can get me some good value (Looking for 30 homers, 100 rbi a piece, which is about what I expect from WIllingham, to be honest.) I'll be aiming for maybe one guy who can swipe 30 bags but not kill me in all of the other categories (Jason Bay? Mark Teahan? THere aren't many players out there who can provide plus value in every category including steals, but I think Teahan's gotta be on my radar).

Unfortunately, in keeper leagues, there isn't much you can do int he draft, compared to in normal leagues... I may be looking at a long season, since I had a tough year last year. I'm hoping Upton finds some solid playing time, Willingham meets my projections, Uggla doesn't come back too hard down to earth, and Quinten takes the Rookie of the Year race and makes it a one man thing.

so, as suggested i'm looking for a way to move figgins out of the lineup, and i'm looking at dumping Jhonny Peralta 'cause i have two much better shortstops, but the best person available is Wigginton... (at least in terms of someone that can be put in the 2B spot and hit a few homeruns) which is just sad....

edit: not sure if i should go for a second catcher instead....

so, as suggested i'm looking for a way to move figgins out of the lineup, and i'm looking at dumping Jhonny Peralta 'cause i have two much better shortstops, but the best person available is Wigginton... (at least in terms of someone that can be put in the 2B spot and hit a few homeruns) which is just sad....

I wouldn't dump Figgins, as he's still got some trade value. You might be able to trade him for someone with a little more power out of the 2B spot, or even go for a decent innings eating pitcher, since you've got a couple of guys who are real injury risks. Maybe Dontrelle Willis. He'll be steady and won't hurt you anywhere. You might be able to pull something off and then pick up a guy like Wigginton or Mark Ellis (if he's still available) to plug in at 2B. They'll provide neutral to positive value and won't really kill you.