Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch

i have a theory that he was holding back his best stuff for Sirens, thus why we got what we got on the last DBT record (which wasn't all that great of an album to begin with, no matter what you say about Jason's contributions. it's easily their weakest of the last 4)

I wish they would've included When The Well Runs Dry in ABAAC.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah! That's a big kick in the gut.

I've been catching 3-4 DBT shows a year since Decoration Day. This will be a major change to their sound. Decoration Day and Outfit are two of my favorite DBT songs. I'm more of a fan of Jason and Patterson, than Mike.

They were on such an upswing for the past four years, playing to bigger and bigger crowds. I hope this does not become a setback. Patterson and Mike struggled for so many years to get to where they are today.

I wish Jason the and the Truckers the best. I'm looking forward to seeing Jason tomorrow night

Somehow I missed that. I just read it over on ninebullets.

From what Jason posted on his myspace page it definitely looks like leaving DBT wasn't amicable on his end. That's too bad.

How do you figure that?

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Regarding DBT

Current mood: Hopeful

Thanks to everyone for your kind words in the last day or so. I'm doing fine, and I'm excited about the new opportunities I've been given. I think 'Sirens' is a great record, and I have to say it'll be nice to be the boss for a while. We made it to Iowa city after driving all night, so forgive me if it takes a while for me to get back to you guys. I've been bombarded with positive emails and phone calls and it has done me a lot of good.

I ask that you continue to support the Truckers (they are still friends of mine) and check out my solo band when we come around. I think we're calling it Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, at least for now, and we'll be burning up the road. If you have inquiries, I think Patterson's blog on the DBT page is answer enough. It's well put.

-Jason

The previous post:

Friday, April 06, 2007

I am not in the Drive By Truckers anymore.

Category: Music

I am not in the Drive By Truckers anymore. Go figure. I wish them luck. I will not answer questions about it.

The previous post:

yeah...that sounds REAL acrimonious. :monkey

Listen...I am a really rotten bastard. I KNOW acrimony and hard feelings. However, sometimes you just say "fuck it" and call it quits without punching anybody out.

Now if Jeff and Jay had whacked each other around when UT broke up, it might have been better.

yeah...that sounds REAL acrimonious. :monkey

Listen...I am a really rotten bastard. I KNOW acrimony and hard feelings. However, sometimes you just say "fuck it" and call it quits without punching anybody out.

Now if Jeff and Jay had whacked each other around when UT broke up, it might have been better.

There was at least one other post on his myspace account that has since been erased that made it sound like it wasn't his choice. Something about how he would change it if he could, but he can't. That combined with the picture he had up for about 48 hours (the one of him looking at the camera, smoking the cigarette, holding up the advert for the new album, and flicking off the camera) made it look like he wasn't amicable on his side. But then he took out that post, put up a new picture, put up a new post where he talked about being excited about what the future holds. It definitely changed the vibe.

I just remembered this crazy night:

10-30-2004

Wilco played the Auditorium on the middle night of their Halloween run. After the last note of Be Not So Fearful, we jumped in a cab and went to Metro.

Drive by Truckers walked out onstage literally as we got to the top of the stairs of the main floor at Metro. It was 11:30pm. They raged straight through to 2:30am.

a legendary Chicago evening.

Here's a link to the show:

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2004-10-30.akg391.flac16

That makes me remember this crazy night:

12-31-2004

Wilco played Madison Square Garden in NYC. After the last note of "Comment" I jumped in a cab and went to the Bowery Ballroom. Drive by Truckers had just taken the stage. It was 1:30am. They raged straight through to I have no idea when, because I ran out of steam finally by 3:00/3:30 or so and they were still rocking.

a legendary New York City evening. :rock

Jason was fucking stellar tonight opening for Son Volt.

setlist:

Try

Grown (both new songs sounded a lot better live)

God Damn Lonely Love

Ain't Never Gonna Change

The Assassin (w/ a nice comment about Patterson before it)

Magician (this one was kinda boring)

Dress Blues

Jailbreak (smokin' Thin Lizzy cover)

Chicago Promenade (jason on keys, sounded real nice live)

Does he know that the parting wasn't amicable?? He should have announced it as "one of Patterson's shitty songs... and Patterson is dumb". Maybe you misheard him?

At any rate, thanks for the setlist Solace... I'm off to see him tonight.

Jason was fucking stellar tonight opening for Son Volt.

setlist:

Try

Grown (both new songs sounded a lot better live)

God Damn Lonely Love

Ain't Never Gonna Change

Magician (this one was kinda boring)

Dress Blues

Jailbreak (smokin' Thin Lizzy cover)

Chicago Promenade (jason on keys, sounded real nice live)

Did he make any mention of the split?

I'm not surprised Jason is no longer in the DBT. Actually I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. The last time I saw DBT the tension between Jason and Patterson onstage was noticeable and that was several months ago. Jason seemed like an outsider.

Did he make any mention of the split?

nope

after Never Gonna Change he said "that was a Drive By-Truckes song" and then commented about The Assassin, and how his "good friend Patterson Hood" wrote this amazing song, but "didn't really play it much anymore, so he said it was cool if i played it"

i think the initial decision and timing probably surprised/hurt Jason, but I have a feeling w/ the dust settles, i don't think either side will be that harsh in passing blame on how it came about. it's not like i can't see them sharing the stage in the future.

I'm not surprised Jason is no longer in the DBT. Actually I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. The last time I saw DBT the tension between Jason and Patterson onstage was noticeable and that was several months ago. Jason seemed like an outsider.

Really? I saw them a few months ago and they seemed fine to me.

Really? I saw them a few months ago and they seemed fine to me.

Now that I think about it I first noticed it at the DBT three night run in Boulder 12/29-12/31/05. At the start of the 2nd nights show Jason appeared to be irritated by Patterson's apparent drunkeness. He really didn't seem to be into the show but it also seemed like he was distant. I don't mean to imply Jason and Patterson had some issues because I don't know, just that Jason and Patterson didn't click onstage the last times I saw DBT.

Probably the best thing that could happen on both sides. Just talkin' out my ass, how long could you expect a young, talented guy like Jason to be satisfied as a junior partner in DBT? Let's face it: this is about as good as it's gonna get for the more "seasoned" Hood/Cooley. So Jason gets antsy, gets divorced from the bass player (couples and bands never a good mix), and the tension on the bus, in the studio, on stage becomes unmanageable. So now Jason gets to see where his talent can take him, and the Truckers carry on without so much emotional baggage. and if they wanna play with someone their own age, how about Brent Best? Will Johnson's got some spare time between his 4-5 other bands.

He was quite good opening for Son Volt here in Chicago last night too....

I don't know how he feels about the split, but he played a Patterson Hood song here....

LouieB

hey Lou... I didn't know that you were going but I guess I shouldn't be suprised. Do you miss any shows?

Jason was damn good but he doesn't appear to be ready to be the lead guy just yet. The setlist was pretty much the same as what Solace posted. Dress Blues was a great closer. Would have loved to hear Decoration Day but I guess I'll have to wait until he comes back around as a headliner.

Son Volt was just unreal. I'll have to try and find a setlist but it seemed as if they played about 80 songs. It was a great night of music.

hey Lou... I didn't know that you were going but I guess I shouldn't be suprised. Do you miss any shows?

Jason was damn good but he doesn't appear to be ready to be the lead guy just yet. The setlist was pretty much the same as what Solace posted. Dress Blues was a great closer. Would have loved to hear Decoration Day but I guess I'll have to wait until he comes back around as a headliner.

Son Volt was just unreal. I'll have to try and find a setlist but it seemed as if they played about 80 songs. It was a great night of music.

I miss tons of shows.....frankly I was shocked I dragged my sorry ass out of the house to this one, but it was worth it.

Jason's band was very good, but you are right, he doesn't seem totally comfortable up front yet. I would have liked to hear more of the DBT stuff, but clearly he is pushing a new album. The guitar player covering Psycho Killer was fun.

SV did go on and on; my problem with them (although I enjoyed the show plenty) was that so many songs still sound alike, but when Jay went into the more recognizable stuff (from Trace and Okemah) the audience came alive.

LouieB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gearing up for this record to be released and I just made a playlist of Jason's DBT songs.

Outfit

Decoration Day

The Day John Henry Died

Danko/Manuel

Never Gonna Change

Goddamn Lonely Love

Easy On Yourself

Daylight

When The Well Runs Dry

Did I miss anything? Hard to believe that this is only 9 songs long, but the songs from the Decoration Day and Dirty South are some of the best stuff DBT has done.

In other news, Spooner Oldham is playing some shows with DBT. Pretty cool. I'm interested to see where this goes for DBT and Jason.