I posted this question in the Wanted tablature thread but thought perhaps it might get more attention here. I'm wondering if anyone knows exactly how the harmonized guitar effect at the end of Loose Fur's Wanted is achieved? Is it just two or more guitars or is there some effect at work? What exactly is the harmonization? Octaves? Fifths? Thanks!

Generally, NOT ALWAYS, but generally, you harmonize with the 3rd and the 6th of your fundamental note. This is easy harmony but effective. Harmonizing with a fifth makes a power chord, kind of 'a mini chord', since it's a perfect interval. 2nds, have harmonics too close to the root's harmonics and therefor cause tension. Fourths can be interesting. 6s are MAGICAL. Ever noticed how the key of E minor is a lot like the key of G major? Yeah baby! ..Uh, 7ths, once again, close harmonics, bad vibes, bad vibes!

7ths are one of the most important intervals in rock music. Obviously unless you're trying to make some real tension you don't want to put a 7th below the other guitar player's root, but the one above, or even an octave above that is awesome. I agree that 6ths are really cool, I dont use them enough in harmony cause alot of the time they get in the way of the 5th in any chord instruments, but again, take it up enough octaves and it creates the space to avoid any 2nds.

So in "Wanted" what's going on? It doesn't seem to be contrasting movement. It seems as though the "same" notes (or same riffs/patterns) are being played an octave (and perhaps a fifth) apart. Is this correct? I don't have a good recording set up to experiment with this too much.

Ok I acutally listened to the song instead of just being bossy about guitar playing. Sounds like (i didn't have my guitar in hand) just octaves of that line. It could even be a pedal but if you listen close I think theres enough variation to assume its two guitars. But why ponder the guitarmonies of "Wanted" when clearly the most glorious are on "Wreck room"?

But why ponder the guitarmonies of "Wanted" when clearly the most glorious are on "Wreck room"?

Thanks! I recently wrote a song and there is a little riff that plays during the chorus that I want to have a similar sound to the harmonies on Wanted. ;)

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I know Jeff has had a Boss PS-5 pedal in his arsenal which I assume could pull off that harmony-octave sound. It could also be a matter of technique or mixing two guitars, but I think you could also do it with a good octave/harmonizer pedal.