Son Volt at Cain's

i'm probably going. they did play at cain's in fall 96 i think. alejandro escovedo opened!!! chickamauga was the only ut song played. i remember being a little disappointed in jay's lack of enthusiasm but i just wasn't aware that that's the way he is at most shows. really, from what i can remember it was a great show. ben harper will be there a couple of days before so it should be a good weekend for music in tulsa.

they did play at cain's in fall 96 i think.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about flying to DC for Memorial Day weekend where in 5 days I can catch Son Volt, Andrew Bird, Joseph Arthur and Stars of Track and Field. But I think I'll save the money and just go see SV in Tulsa instead.

EDIT: those DC shows are actually a week before Memorial Day weekend.

We went to Tuesday night's show at the Vic. We see Jay solo/Son Volt just about everytime he comes through and this was probably my least favorite time seeing him. (I don't want to say it was the worst, because it was not a bad show). The sound was really bad, especially on his vocals and I was not that impressed with the band. It just seemed like no one was allowed to have any fun. Now, I know that Jay isn't a have fun on stage kind of guy, but when he toured with Canyon a few years back, the band was really tight and really rocking and were genuinely enjoying themselves. I don't know anything about who is playing with this new incarnation of Son Volt, but the guitarist seemed to have trouble playing the countryesque songs and it wasn't until about halfway through the show that they seemed to get going. They seemed restrained for the first half of the show. They did a super-rocking Voodoo Candle/Vitamins that kind of loosened everything up and closed with Life Worth Living (totally rearranged) and an awesome Chickamunga. I've seen Jay twice with Mark Spencer on guitar and it seems like they have a pretty good musical repoire/respect and it translates on stage. The second half was a pretty good show. I'm convinced that Jay could be a rock star if he really wanted to be one. The highlight of my evening was that Mick from Riviera was our waiter at dinner before the show. He was really nice.

Wow, where were you standing CF? I thought the sound was great where I was standing. However, the Vic is notorius for having shitty sound if you are standing beneath the balcony. I saw Son Volt several times when Trace came out and they were great. They lost me somewhere around WST (although I love the album). They just seemed to be bored live. That seems to have changed for me when Jay starting putting his solo stuff out. I've seen him solo and it was great. I've also seen Son Volt 2 a couple of times and they have been very tight. A bit business-like but they get it done.

Wow, where were you standing CF? I thought the sound was great where I was standing. However, the Vic is notorius for having shitty sound if you are standing beneath the balcony. I saw Son Volt several times when Trace came out and they were great. They lost me somewhere around WST (although I love the album). They just seemed to be bored live. That seems to have changed for me when Jay starting putting his solo stuff out. I've seen him solo and it was great. I've also seen Son Volt 2 a couple of times and they have been very tight. A bit business-like but they get it done.

That must be it! We stood below the balcony and we've never done that. We are usually up front or in the balcony. Good to know, so we never stand there for Jeff/Wilco.

i commented on another thread about the Chicago show.....

I thought they were better at the Randolph St. fest last summer. All in all there seems to be little enthusiasm from the band until they launch into songs from Trace, which the audience knows and likes hearing. There seemed to be some buzz around SV I which is lacking in SV II.

As I also said before, I think I am done with Jay....

LouieB

There are no one named Boquist in da band......... :yawn
That could be part of it, but either way, even the new band members don't have to seem so disconnected.

There was a distinct moment this summer at Randolph St. where the band clearly showed some interest after an hour of workman like playing and that was when the old songs began to be played. Band members actually smiled at one another for the first time and they started looking like they were actually enjoying being on stage. I realize that there are groups where you are supposed to appear stoic and not show emotion, but that whole thing is BS as far as I am concerned. Playing music in a big time band should be fun and that sense of fun should be communicated to the audience (the same as in sports...). Plenty of bands play serious material, but there should me some moment of lightness in every performance.

LouieB

me and Creativetype will be going to see the Hold Steady in Norman on June 10. woo!

where? i can't find it on their website or pollstar. if that's the case i won't be driving in to see jay farrar. since i'm southside okc i'll definitely be at the hold steady show.

Yes, red1996 and I are banding together again ... :rock :rock

Hate to miss SV at the Cain's (I was there back in 1996 and caught them later in OKC at the Will Rogers Theater), but the chance to see The Hold Steady rock such a small venue as the Opolis in Norman was too good to pass up.

Here's some concert info on the Oklahoma show:

The Hold Steady - June 10 - The Opolis

I'm really excited about this show. Seems like an impressive act for the Opolis to land, no?

Glad to see VC folks going. If I can pick you out I'll buy you a beer.

we'll try and find a pic...

Clay - you got a pic to post that has us in it? i can't find the one from Wichita...

here's Hold Steady ticket info:

http://www.okctickets.com/e/126/holdsteadyillinois/

we'll try and find a pic...

Clay - you got a pic to post that has us in it? i can't find the one from Wichita...

271921672_6ac9a0a43e.jpg

I'm up front with the brown tee and flannel ... red1996 is the dude with the plaid shirt, glasses and cheesy grin two rows back.

:cheers

A beer would be nice.

271921672_6ac9a0a43e.jpg

I'm up front with the brown tee and flannel ... red1996 is the dude with the plaid shirt, glasses and cheesy grin two rows back.

:cheers

A beer would be nice.

I literally was just barely cut out of this pic. I was right by the woman in turquoise and the man in red. If only Jeff had panned a little left.

I figure a beer is the least I can do for all the wonderful photos you've posted in the last couple of years.

Are you -- or anyone else from Okla -- going to travel to any of the currently announced Wilco shows?

I literally was just barely cut out of this pic. I was right by the woman in turquoise and the man in red. If only Jeff had panned a little left.

I figure a beer is the least I can do for all the wonderful photos you've posted in the last couple of years.

Are you -- or anyone else from Okla -- going to travel to any of the currently announced Wilco shows?

you were there, too? crazy....

i know i'm dreaing, but a Wilco show at the Zoo Amphitheatre in the summer would be pretty sweet...

you were there, too? crazy....

i know i'm dreaing, but a Wilco show at the Zoo Amphitheatre in the summer would be pretty sweet...

Heck yeah I was there. If Wilco is within 200 miles, I won't miss it. I drove up there by myself in the pouring rain. I met a lot of great fans, including Kidsmoke, a father and daughter who flew in from Atlanta, two college guys from KU, and a husband and wife who made the group pic (the blonde wearing green and the guy behind her). Too bad I didn't make it over far enough to meet you two (and get in the pic!)

Wilco at the Zoo? Yeah, that would be the best! After trying for years and years, I have finally converted one of my best friends to Wilco. Kicking Television and SBS finally did it (maybe he likes Nels??). He said he's going to the next show with me. So yeah, the zoo would be great.

Heck yeah I was there. If Wilco is within 200 miles, I won't miss it. I drove up there by myself in the pouring rain. I met a lot of great fans, including Kidsmoke, a father and daughter who flew in from Atlanta, two college guys from KU, and a husband and wife who made the group pic (the blonde wearing green and the guy behind her). Too bad I didn't make it over far enough to meet you two (and get in the pic!)

Wilco at the Zoo? Yeah, that would be the best! After trying for years and years, I have finally converted one of my best friends to Wilco. Kicking Television and SBS finally did it (maybe he likes Nels??). He said he's going to the next show with me. So yeah, the zoo would be great.

i think we figured out there was no one from Kansas in the front row at a Kansas show...

i think we figured out there was no one from Kansas in the front row at a Kansas show...

I found that remarkable also. The closest thing I could find to "locals" were the KU guys, but Lawrence is just as far from Wichita as OKC is.