Planet Terror was kind of stupid, but also highly entertaining. Rose McGowan was smokin' throughout, but that go-go dance intro was probably the coolest thing ever.

Death Proof was phenomenal. Among QT's best work, ever, in my opinion. Wow. The tension builds so well in the final car scene, I was having the time of my life. The dialogue was brilliant, it was so great to see he could still do that. Kill Bill saw a retreat from his best dialogue, because the dialogue lacked that casual dimension.

The trailers are really hilarious too, a real treat. I reccomends going to this movie ASAP.

apparently, the film has failed to deliver at the box office to the point where the weinsteins are considering padding an extra reel or two into each flick and releasing them separately. that was already the plan for the euro release. they spent over $35m to market this and only got $13m on opening weekend. crazy considering how well sin city did.

both groups of girls talking in Deathproof were mind-bogglingly boring and incredibly annoying. if i were sitting next to them in a restaurant i would seriously leave. the car stuff and any scene with kurt russell was awesome, though. i really preferred planet terror by a wide margin, it was just plain cool.

from the Now Watching Thread:

grindhouse.jpg

True to form, Rodriguez bored me while Tarantino mesmerized me.

wow, it was the exact opposite for me. I thought Planet Terror was awesome, from top to bottom. casting Jeff Fahey and Michael Biehn as brothers was genius.

the first 20 minutes of Deathproof was incredibly boring, I was ready to walk out. I just wanted those girls (especially Sydney Poitier) to shut up. but I stuck with it, and in the end, it was worth it. although I can't imagine watching it with the missing footage put back in.

I liked the first 20 minutes or so of Planet Terror, but then I grew weary... the experience as a whole never lived up to the highs of a few select fragments or gags. The problem I have with Rodriguez is that while he has boundless enthusiasm for the nuts-and-bolts of filmmaking, he's just not a very strong storyteller. All of Planet Terror is told at precisely the same pitch, and for me that grew repetitive. The fact that he's reviving old junk tropes doesn't forgive it, either, especially in light of how Tarantino, by contrast, skillfully avoided the pitfall of producing juvenile crap when paying homage to juvenile crap. In fact, I was thankful to need a restroom break near the end of Planet Terror; I was happy to kill a few minutes while waiting for Tarantino's segment to arrive.

I really enjoyed the oddball structure of Death Proof. The opening stretch is, perhaps, a bit demanding, but there are many admirable things going on during it. The conversation is perfectly calibrated and acted; while I never liked those girls, I believed in them as individuals and enjoyed watching the characterizations. Plus, the opening stretch is loaded with fantastic ideas and imagery. Remember when Poitier dances to the jukebox and finally, at the end of an unnaturally long take, spins her hair for the amusement of everyone else in the bar? The way that scene was done, in terms of tone, composition, speed, and affection for human movement, reminded me of the dancing scene in Band of Outsiders. (I know it's cliche to compare Tarantino to Godard, but I can't help it... that's what I thought of while watching.) Once the first killings occur, the movie becomes an inspired mashup of the slasher and gearhead genres, and I was hooked. I especially enjoyed hanging out with the second group of girls. And of course the centerpiece stunt is riveting; it captures a very real sense of speed and physical vulnerability and probably ranks among the best stunt scenes I've ever seen. Plus, for my money, Tarantino's revenge punchline is far wittier than anything in Planet Terror.

I thought that was some of the worst dialogue I've ever sat through. so much so, that I guess it distracted me from noticing anything good going on cinematically. things do pick up though, and Kurt Russell's breaking of the 4th wall was awesome.

Yeah, I liked that, too. Reminded me of Funny Games, where the bad guys keep winking at the audience.

so overall, I liked Grindhouse, the good far outweighed the bad, and I'm even considering seeing it in the theater a 2nd time.

I loved both those movies. Most fun I've ever had at the movie theatre.

Hobo With A Shot Gun was my favorite trailer. Machete was pretty stellar too.

I loved both those movies. Most fun I've ever had at the movie theatre.

Hobo With A Shot Gun was my favorite trailer. Machete was pretty stellar too.

Hobo with a shotgun? I missed that one.. when did they show it?

I'm kind of baffled by folks dissing Planet Terror, just confused on what people who didn't like it were expecting? It was a bad Zombie flick, not perfect by any means, but I sure thought it worked for what it was, all the way down to the John Carpenter old school score.

I certainly didn't think QT's dialogue was anything to remember, to many people worship at his dialogue altar anyway. I liked Death Proof, do I think Death Proof could have been the end all - be all, oh yeah. The car sequences were great, and the flip of the sets of girls was okay. Really, not a lot to review here, but I seriously disagree with QT's dialogue being amaZing, I felt that was hardly the case. I wonder if he has an editor (or second opinion) script wise, sometimes I feel he could use one.

Again in this day & Age of cinema, which pretty much blows in Amercia, I think we all hope for something great, but when I go into watch a homage to Grindhouse movies, I really want nothing more than to have some fun, and both movies provided plenty of those moments.

FYI. . . the guy who gets his head blown off in the Machete trailer, by Cheech Marin, he was in my last short. R.E.M.

FYI. . . the guy who gets his head blown off in the Machete trailer, by Cheech Marin, he was in my last short. R.E.M.

that's awesome! I've heard that Rodriguez is shooting a full version of Machete, to be released with Grindhouse, when it comes out on DVD. if it turns out to be true, color me excited.

I think he is, not sure if it falls before or during the next Sin Cities, but we shall see. The way he kind of has his compound set up here, it lends itself to shooting a lot at once, especially with the sin cities on the green screen.