I now have a grafted cactus, a flowering cactus, an orchid, and an aloe plant. Do you have any tips or resources that you could share so that I can keep my plants alive and healthy? I should mention that whether they like it or not, they are being grown indoors.

Thanks in advance.

-fooln

PS I have cactus, palm and citrus soil for the cacti and aloe plant, orchid soil for the orchid and plain old top soil for my zebrina plants.

I now have a grafted cactus, a flowering cactus, an orchid, and an aloe plant. Do you have any tips or resources that you could share so that I can keep my plants alive and healthy? I should mention that whether they like it or not, they are being grown indoors.

Thanks in advance.

-fooln

The cactus should be grown in the best light you have. South or southwest exposure. The aloe as well. Good light, they will really languish otherwise. Let these plants dry out well between waterings.

The orchid likes a different culture. In nature it lives on the bark of trees. It likes humidity and bright, indirect light. It should be in a bark or some other coarse material. I submerge the pot in water and let it sit there a minute. Let the bark absorb lots of moisture. I drain it, and put it back. Water it again when the bark feels dry a knuckle or two in. Orchids (phalaenopsis anyway) are really surprisingly easy to grow. Fertilize with orchid food.

With most indoor plants, I err on the side of too dry than too wet. And use lukewarm water.

Good luck!

I am distraught. After a few short weeks, my Orchid is starting to die. :ohwell It was a very special birthday present and Ill do anything I can. I've been watering it like you said, but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on how to save it?

I am distraught. After a few short weeks, my Orchid is starting to die. :ohwell It was a very special birthday present and Ill do anything I can. I've been watering it like you said, but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on how to save it?

you can take it to a good florist and see if they can figure out the problem. I am not an indoor plant person but i can grow just about anything OUTside.

What do you mean by 'dying'? Are the blooms dying and falling off? That's normal. Orchids bloom once a year, and their blossoms last a long time. When all of the individual blossoms die you need to prune the flower stalk.

If the foliage is dying that's a bit more complicated. For me to even have a clue about that, I would need to look at a picture or at least have a little more info. :)

How many times have you watered it since you started this thread?

Which indoor lighting equimptment would best fit the needs of Jess Flick and her ,umm.......shrubs?

High pressure halide and sodium, but Flick is off the weed.

What do you mean by 'dying'? Are the blooms dying and falling off? That's normal. Orchids bloom once a year, and their blossoms last a long time. When all of the individual blossoms die you need to prune the flower stalk.

If the foliage is dying that's a bit more complicated. For me to even have a clue about that, I would need to look at a picture or at least a little more info. :)

How many times have you watered it since you started this thread?

High pressure halide and sodium, but Flick is off the weed.

Blooms are dying and falling off, check. Thought, the blossom on the end seems to be holding on as long as it can.

There are three large leaves that are quite green and are rubbery and bendy(not dry and brittle)....so maybe I'm over reacting....if more info is required, let me know...I can do pics, just not right now.

I don't know about how many times I've watered it, but it's been watered enough to maintain the "moist soil two knuckles deep" rule you gave me. :)

I guess the plant could have been given to me at the end of its bloom cycle?

Blooms are dying and falling off, check. Thought, the blossom on the end seems to be holding on as long as it can.

There are three large leaves that are quite green and are rubbery and bendy(not dry and brittle)....so maybe I'm over reacting....if more info is required, let me know...I can do pics, just not right now.

I don't know about how many times I've watered it, but it's been watered enough to maintain the "moist soil two knuckles deep" rule you gave me. :)

I guess the plant could have been given to me at the end of its bloom cycle?

Yep, that is usually the last one to drop. Sounds like everything is fine. My blooms generally last about 2 months start to finish. Now you wait another 10 months or so for the next bloom cycle...:)

In the meantime, you might do a little research about how to bring it back to bloom next year. Orchids are wonderful plants but rather plain for most of the year. Patience is the lesson.

Also, just as reference, I water my orchids once every week or two.

Yep, that is usually the last one to drop. Sounds like everything is fine. My blooms generally last about 2 months start to finish. Now you wait another 10 months or so for the next bloom cycle...:)

In the meantime, you might do a little research about how to bring it back to bloom next year. Orchids are wonderful plants but rather plain for most of the year. Patience is the lesson.

Also, just as reference, I water my orchids once every week or two.

Thank you so much. I've got enough on my plate right now, I didn't want to have to worry about being called a plant killer.

Thank you so much. I've got enough on my plate right now, I didn't want to have to worry about being called a plant killer.

That's the weird thing about plants as gifts; there is often a certain presumed responsibility by the giver to the recipient.

When I give plants as gifts (and except to gardening buddies, a rare occurence for that very reason), I always understand, as well as communicate, that there is no pressure or expectation to keep the plant alive. Gifts don't need to have stress strings attached to them.

Care of Phalaenopsis Orchids