What Wilco does for me

I witnessed Wilco's music for the first time when I saw them live in 1996. I thought they were great, but didn't really get into them like I should have... I only listened to them off and on for the next ten years but didn't completely fall in love with their music until early last year. I'm not exactly sure what did it, but I truly re-discovered the band when I was on a search for some new music after wearing out "My Morning Jacket" CD's.

I did a Google search to find other people's opinions on Wilco's best album. No one really had a single favorite album, but a lot of people either chose YHF or Summerteeth. I went with Summerteeth... This was right around the time when I started performing with my band again, and I was on the road a lot. It took a few times of listening to the album start to finish before it really took effect. I remember driving home at 3 in the morning and listening to "She's a Jar" and thinking "Wait a minute... there's something really special about this band"... Each song, even the happy up-beat ones, gave me sort of a dark/eerie feeling, but a feeling of comfort at the same time... It's hard to put it into words. All the songs just felt perfect to me... Even the songs I had never heard before seemed like they had been with me my entire life. Another song that really stood out on "Summerteeth" was "My Darling". I was able to relate to the words because I am a fairly new father... I would listen to each word feeling like I knew what he was going to say next... Again, like I had heard the song before... Now I own every album including the albums they did with Billy Bragg. There have only been a couple bands in my life that have affected me like Wilco has. I don't even have to say that Jeff Tweedy is a musical genius and Wilco is one of the greatest bands of this generation... Any Wilco fan already knows that.

I have shared these same thoughts with my wife who is also becoming a huge fan... It's nice that I get to share them with you all.

One song that really stood out on "Being There" was "My Darling".

If I'm not mistaken, and I very well could be, "My Darling" appears on "Summerteeth" and was written/sang by one Jay Bennett, former member of the Chicago based alt-country band Wilco. No one here really likes him all that much. I appreciate, however, that he can have a cigarette in his mouth at all times. It's both amazing and baffling.

Jeff sings it on ST, Jay sings it on his album "Palace at 4am"

Hmmmm. Each time it comes on ST, I think, this really sounds like Jeff. I just assumed Jay sang that way on purpose, to please the Tweedster. My bad, I should have checked the album credits. When Jay does it live-solo on "IATTBYH" it sounds a helluva lot like the album version. That's why I assumed he sang it.

Welcome Lamrod, please don't take my sarcasm to heart.

Hmmmm. Each time it comes on ST, I think, this really sounds like Jeff. I just assumed Jay sang that way on purpose, to please the Tweedster. My bad, I should have checked the album credits. When Jay does it live-solo on "IATTBYH" it sounds a helluva lot like the album version. That's why I assumed he sang it.

no it doesn't.

"My Darling" is on "Summerteeth"...

your post reminded me why music is so important...it brings so many people togeher who all feel the same stuff. :wub

Oops.. I feel like an idiot now! But thanks for pointing that out.. I have changed it on my post. I guess I got it mixed up because I listen to all of the albums together.. Like one big album.

no it doesn't.

Oh, again, my bad. Have we lost our right to opnionate? I think it sounds similarly, except it's done solo. Now I have a reason to watch the DVD.

When I got into Wilco I also listened to them as one big album as well. Good call.

Great Post LW, Sad some people make new Wilco fans feel stupid when they post but I know where they are coming from. I am way past the "being angry" because Wilco has changed and the fanbase has expanded. I have come to realize that with any band creative and worth listening to, will ultimately come into some sort of commercial success. I do miss the "bar band" days of the mid to late 90's but I also really enjoy the theatre setting and sound of the band today. Come to grip with it " Sky Blue Sky" will be sold at Starbucks and I am just fine with that. This is still one of if not the most creative band going today and I say welcome all new fans.

Oh, again, my bad. Have we lost our right to opnionate? I think it sounds similarly, except it's done solo.

If you listen to ST it's pretty obviously Jeff though. And I for one don't hate Bennett at all. But anywhos, check out this version of My Darling on youtube, it's so good. I love that woozy keyboard part