http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/arti...e-anything-els/

Fountains of Wayne: Too Smart to Be a Rock Band, Too Smart to Be Anything Else

[16 April 2007]

A self-aware songwriter, Adam Schlesinger still finds a way inside everyone else's head. PopMatters talks to the ingenius popsters about their new album and more.

by Will Layman

Fountains of Wayne is that rare rock band that tells fabulous stories.

The band

• 1 year later...

From Billboard:

Fountains Of Wayne Get Busy On New Album

It's been a busy year for Fountains Of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger. After nabbing a nomination for best original score for the songs he co-wrote for the Broadway adaptation of Cry-Baby, he was asked by writing partner David Javerbaum to help pen the lyrics for "A Colbert Christmas Special," which began airing this week on Comedy Central.

Now, things are back in motion for Fountains Of Wayne's next record, which Schlesinger hopes to have out in 2009.

"We still have a ways to go, but we have eight songs that are relatively close to complete now. We're looking to regroup after the New Year and do the second batch," Schlesinger tells Billboard.com. "I think we're trying some different things on this record, but we're still the same band, to me. It's kind of too early to say what direction it's going to as a whole."

Schlesinger's also in the midst of recording with Ivy, originally his main band but overshadowed in recent years by the success of Fountains Of Wayne. "That one's been slow going for many reasons," he reports. "But we have a record that is halfway done as well. Two other members had babies recently."

Fountains Of Wayne will take to the road this winter for a short acoustic tour, which Schlesinger promises will showcase a handful of new tunes.

Here are Fountains Of Wayne's tour dates:

Jan. 14: Bellingham, Wash. (Walton Theater)

Jan. 15: Seattle (Triple Door)

Jan. 16: Portland, Ore. (Wonder Ballroom)

Jan. 18-19: San Francisco (Cafe Du Nord)

Jan. 21-22: Los Angeles (Largo)

Jan. 23: San Juan Capistrano, Calif. (Coach House)

Jan. 24: San Diego (Anthology)

Feb. 19: Alexandria, Va. (Birchmere)

Feb. 20: Annapolis, Md. (Ramshead)

Feb. 21: Philadelphia (Tin Angel)

Feb. 25-26: New York (Joe's Pub)

Feb. 28: Boston (Paradise Rock Club)

Marc 1: Northampton, Mass. (Iron Horse Music Hall)

From Billboard:

Fountains Of Wayne Get Busy On New Album

It's been a busy year for Fountains Of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger. After nabbing a nomination for best original score for the songs he co-wrote for the Broadway adaptation of Cry-Baby, he was asked by writing partner David Javerbaum to help pen the lyrics for "A Colbert Christmas Special," which began airing this week on Comedy Central.

Now, things are back in motion for Fountains Of Wayne's next record, which Schlesinger hopes to have out in 2009.

"We still have a ways to go, but we have eight songs that are relatively close to complete now. We're looking to regroup after the New Year and do the second batch," Schlesinger tells Billboard.com. "I think we're trying some different things on this record, but we're still the same band, to me. It's kind of too early to say what direction it's going to as a whole."

Schlesinger's also in the midst of recording with Ivy, originally his main band but overshadowed in recent years by the success of Fountains Of Wayne. "That one's been slow going for many reasons," he reports. "But we have a record that is halfway done as well. Two other members had babies recently."

Fountains Of Wayne will take to the road this winter for a short acoustic tour, which Schlesinger promises will showcase a handful of new tunes.

Here are Fountains Of Wayne's tour dates:

Jan. 14: Bellingham, Wash. (Walton Theater)

Jan. 15: Seattle (Triple Door)

Jan. 16: Portland, Ore. (Wonder Ballroom)

Jan. 18-19: San Francisco (Cafe Du Nord)

Jan. 21-22: Los Angeles (Largo)

Jan. 23: San Juan Capistrano, Calif. (Coach House)

Jan. 24: San Diego (Anthology)

Feb. 19: Alexandria, Va. (Birchmere)

Feb. 20: Annapolis, Md. (Ramshead)

Feb. 21: Philadelphia (Tin Angel)

Feb. 25-26: New York (Joe's Pub)

Feb. 28: Boston (Paradise Rock Club)

Marc 1: Northampton, Mass. (Iron Horse Music Hall)

Nice!

PS. Both NYC show sold out! NUTS!

bad rap? that song is typical of what they do, just happened to be a fluke hit

if that is what you think then, ok. I prolly won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. I think the majority of their songs are much better then Stacey's Mom. Traffic and Weather is a great album imo.

And I meant bad rep, as in reputation. This is a bad rap:

worstcoversvanillaice.jpg