Intricacy of SBS lyrics

People talk about the directness of the SBS lyrics, but I'm not really buying it so much these days. Either Way is extremely direct and readable, as is Hate it Here and a few others. But I'm still wrestling with the narrative of a lot of the songs, particularly Side With the Seeds and Shake it Off. To label the lyrical nature of SBS as direct is somewhat short-sighted and not entirely representative.

I have only listened to the album three times, but from what I've heard, some songs such as "Hate It Here," "What Light," and "Either Way" are very direct, which isn't a bad thing as some think. Because I think "Either Way" is so rich and beautiful.

But I also think some of the songs are indirect such as "Impossible Germany," "You Are My Face," "Sky Blue Sky," and "Side With The Seeds." However, I can't make a final judgement call because I have yet to ponder over written down lyrics or listened to the album many of times. In short, I would say half and half.

particularly Side With the Seeds and Shake it Off.

I'm not sure I would desribe the lyrics (for the album SBS) as "direct." IMO, this is Jeff's most thoroughly emotional album yet. From beginning, to end, he allows the listener in quite a bit, which I think is neat. And, the flow of the record is more continuous and narrative than previous records. It seems to have a true beginning, middle and end (I love how the last three tracks flow).

Side with the Seeds is rather unique lyrically:

The treetops nod

the rain applauds

The park grows dark

And the swings all slowly die

No one wins but the thieves, so why side with anything???? Bizarre.

As for Shake it off: I would say the lyrics are relatively deep and interesting. Musically, I find it the weakest on the record (and sort of out of place) but that argument is for a different thread.

As for other tracks lyrically, Either Way, Walken, What Light and Hate it Here sound pretty straight forward. You are My Face, Impossible Germany and SBS are a bit more complex. I have really begun to love this record. It seems very natural and unforced. Can't wait for the upcoming June shows.

Side with the Seeds is rather unique lyrically:

The treetops nod

the rain applauds

The park grows dark

And the swings all slowly die

No one wins but the thieves, so why side with anything???? Bizarre.

Having sat alone watching the rain and the night come after fights with a lover, these lyrics actually seem pretty straight forward (though beautifully poetic) to me.

'No one wins but the thieves, so why side with anything' I think this speaks about the desire and willingness to compromise in relationship/marriage, when the only other option is breaking up. Why take sides or hold to a position when so much is at stake? The' thieves' being those who profit from divorce.

That's my interpretation anyway. It's the greatest part of poetry really. You have to give the words some part of yourself. :wub

Simplistic=bad

Simple, especially when used to communicate/illuminate complicated or mysterious concepts=good