Cold War Kids + Religion = losers?

And Blind Faith. I would actually go to church if 1.) It started at a slightly less ungodly hour than 10 a.m. and 2.) They played good music instead of white-people-singing-off-key music. Bleh.

go to an A.M.E. church dude - rockin' the house - though a little too much excitement for me. I like things a little more mellow.

I like the music at the church I go to - it's mostly folky traditional stuff with a lot of "world" music thrown in. I especially like it when they do African spirituals.

I admit the 10am thing is rough - which is one reason I don't go as much as I would like.

Plenty of artists work from a religious perspective and are not shunned,

George Harrison, Sufjan Stevens, REVREND Gary Davis... etc.

Sufjan is pretty much in the same camp as CWk.... George Harrison was basically a Buddhist, but the Reverend Gary Davis was in totally different class along with all the greats who sang sanctified music such as Blind Willie Johnson up through Sister Rosetta Tharpe and any number of gospel singers both early and contemporary. I have no complaints with any of these acts, but they aren't all the same either in what they are performing (style of music) or how their religion impacts their music. cryptiques point about contemporary Christian music being inane is certainly true (the same as so much contemporary country sucks), but you can hardly put Sufjan Stevens and Gary Davis together musically simply because they both sing about Christianity.

LouieB

You do know that One True Vine is from Wilco and not Cold War Kids, right? ("B-side" from SBS)

it took me a while but i figured it out on my own. alas, i preordered the lp and didn't get the extra tracks or dvd. i used to obsess about collecting every single song by wilco and whiskeytown but i've since mellowed. i imagine i'll hear it one day in a future age, so to say.

Sufjan is pretty much in the same camp as CWk.... George Harrison was basically a Buddhist, but the Reverend Gary Davis was in totally different class along with all the greats who sang sanctified music such as Blind Willie Johnson up through Sister Rosetta Tharpe and any number of gospel singers both early and contemporary. I have no complaints with any of these acts, but they aren't all the same either in what they are performing (style of music) or how their religion impacts their music. cryptiques point about contemporary Christian music being inane is certainly true (the same as so much contemporary country sucks), but you can hardly put Sufjan Stevens and Gary Davis together musically simply because they both sing about Christianity.

LouieB

The point wasn't about Chrisitanity. These three were examples of artists with a religious impetus who created music with inspiration from, rather than a prostlization about, the religion. Obviously there are several more examples, heck, even bach signed his peices in tribute to god even when they weren't about god.

The point wasn't about Chrisitanity. These three were examples of artists with a religious impetus who created music with inspiration from, rather than a prostlization about, the religion. Obviously there are several more examples, heck, even bach signed his peices in tribute to god even when they weren't about god.
Yea, I know....just something to talk about I suppose....

I guess the idea that contemporary Christian rock and Rev. Gary Davis play(ed) the same kind of music is just too creepy a thought to let it go.

LouieB

Yea, I know....just something to talk about I suppose....

I guess the idea that contemporary Christian rock and Rev. Gary Davis play(ed) the same kind of music is just too creepy a thought to let it go.

LouieB

Maybe the only difference between Creed fans and Danielson fans is one has heard a recording of davis doing 'I'll be allright someday'. Now THAT's creepy.

Maybe the only difference between Creed fans and Danielson fans is one has heard a recording of davis doing 'I'll be allright someday'. Now THAT's creepy.
Now you have totally lost me..... :lol You win...!!!!!

The only part of this statement that rings a bell is I know Creed is some sort of rock group I don't listen to..... :omg

Somehow I knew this was a discussion I shouldn't have gotten involved in.... :huh

LouieB

Has anyone here heard John Davis' (of Superdrag) solo album? Every song on there has a religious theme, and IMO they're as good as anything Superdrag ever played.

Now you have totally lost me..... :lol You win...!!!!!

The only part of this statement that rings a bell is I know Creed is some sort of rock group I don't listen to..... :omg

Somehow I knew this was a discussion I shouldn't have gotten involved in.... :huh

LouieB

Danielson is music group that's actually pretty good, nobody likes them because their pretty out there, kind of Cpt. Beefheart-esq in my opinion. I would put them in the Christian Music category because his music is very much topically about religion. And creed is just horrible.

But I think your point is a really good one. Why do you think something like Byrds singing 'I Am A Pilgrim' doesn't get the byrds trashed as religious band, but the cwk do, I don't think it's a simple as saying one is tounge-in-cheek and one is propaganda.

I mean, I am a pilgrim was certainly ment to be a gospel song in it's original forum. And personally, I love gospel songs and blues songs like Down By the Riverside or Oh Mary Don't you Weep, but can I perform them earnestly without being a Christian? I dunno, at least to me it feels like I can because the message I'm trying to give isn't in the literal words, but maybe I'm the hypocrite and the cwk are not.

And Gary Davis' I'll be all right some day on the 'A little more faith' album is the song that made me want to play guitar.

Has anyone here heard John Davis' (of Superdrag) solo album? Every song on there has a religious theme, and IMO they're as good as anything Superdrag ever played.

I like his solo album better than the final Superdrag album.

Since you brought him up, there's been rumors of a possible Superdrag tour. Really, really hoping for it. They were probably my favorite live band of the late 90s. Also they have a new CD out of old b-sides and some alternate versions of album tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Changin-Tires-Road-R...7901&sr=8-1

I like his solo album better than the final Superdrag album.

Since you brought him up, there's been rumors of a possible Superdrag tour. Really, really hoping for it. They were probably my favorite live band of the late 90s. Also they have a new CD out of old b-sides and some alternate versions of album tracks.

http://www.amazon.com/Changin-Tires-Road-R...7901&sr=8-1

Im not "christian" persay but I like Starflyer 59 and Luxury

As much as I would love to call 'one true vine' a hymn written by Jeff Tweedy, I think that it is about his wife. He has said in interviews that she has saved him, and that this record was an attempt at singing directly to her. I think that he has found a different 'vine' in his wife than the one that he was waiting in line for. And while I don't agree with the possibility of an earthly 'true vine' I do think it is absolutely beautiful imagery.

I love this stage of Jeff's lyricism more and more as I listen to SBS and the b-sides.