Great, great show - probably the best I have ever heard the band play - Jesus Etc was stunning, as was Via Chicago. Dragged a bunch of Wilco newbies to the show and they were more than impressed. Only negative they really picked at was what they felt were Jeff's nasty comments toward some American fans in the audience. After the usual shout-outs for Chicago and other American cities Jeff asked if they were Americans and then said, "Man, we come over here to get away from you people." I have heard similar comments at other shows so I wasn't surprised, but my friends felt that he went on too far and made too much fun of people who essentially, Americans or not, were going fairly far out of their way to go to the show and thus put money in their pockets. Anyone else picked on this and also, anyone feel that he's a bit overboard in this regard? It reminds me of something from a Douglas Coupland book in which he defines "Expat Envy" or something like that as "Going to a strange exotic place only to find other expats exactly like you who thus then spoil your ideal travel fantasy."

I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure this is an ongoing joke about the "poverty jet set" (to use another Coupland neologism). It was probably intended as a backhanded shout-out rather than an insult. I don't think Jeff is that mean. :)

Sounds like it was an incredible show. I'm trying not to think about how long it will be before I get to hear the new songs live. Lucky people!

I would have thought so as well but it wasn't a one-off during the show - it came back again several times. At one point after the guys Whooped again in that rather Iconic American way that is instantly reconizable, Tweedy asked what they were doing in Germany - "are you guys hedge funds traders or something?" To which one of them said, "Teaching English!" And Tweedy said, "Ugh, I pity the fools." It got a laugh but one of my friends claims he saw Nels cast a slightly withering glance over at Jeff, who then wisely laid off adding any more comments about Americans in Germany. It was hardly a show spoiler; there were simply too many incredible moments, including the marathon workout on Spiders, which I was suprprised to see tucked into the encore section. I had kinda given up expecting to hear it. Would have liked to have my friends hear the NOTHING part in Misunderstood but that was a small matter.

I think Jeff just started to realize that the more he egged them on, the more loud and obnoxious they were going to get, so he stopped. From my vantage point, that was kind of the gist of the look that Nels gave Jeff. Actually, the hooting and hollering wasn't that obnoxious, really. I think part of what Jeff meant with the whole "we come over here to get away from you people" statement was just that that sort of stuff happens all the time in America and maybe being in Europe, there's some hope that it won't be as prevalent over here.

That is to say that one of the main reasons the band plays in Europe (and overseas, in general) is because it's an opportunity to get its music heard by a wider audience and not just by the same kind of Americans who come to shows in the U.S. I can't speak for Jeff or anyone else, but being an American traveling in Europe, I know the single biggest thing I want to avoid doing is being the stereotypical "ugly American." Maybe there was some of that sentiment in Jeff's comments as well...:ninja

I expected some reference to the location of the show - unless there is a second Alter Schlactherhof in Dresden, that's the spot where Kurt Vonnegut survived the firebombing of the city and later inspired Slaughterhouse Five.

I can't speak for Jeff or anyone else, but being an American traveling in Europe, I know the single biggest thing I want to avoid doing is being the stereotypical "ugly American." Maybe there was some of that sentiment in Jeff's comments as well...:ninja

Thanks for clarifying, Paul. I thought maybe that earlier post was referring to a certain group of loveable American rock tourists who definitely put that tired stereotype to rest. The next time I travel to Europe, I'm going to sew an American flag on my backpack.

I expected some reference to the location of the show - unless there is a second Alter Schlactherhof in Dresden, that's the spot where Kurt Vonnegut survived the firebombing of the city and later inspired Slaughterhouse Five.

According to my guidebook, Vonnegut was actually in the convention center during the firebombing -- I guess it

hey pivoboy, have we drunk some pivo together???

After the show at the Blue Note???

Anyway,

you got right, Mr. -bbop- Cheeztastic, what Vonnegut called .Slaughterhouse no 5. is appr. at the same point,

but on the other side of the river, the area .Messe Dresden. former an area of some slaughterhouses.

I think about the conversation between one american to another one, just right in front of the stage:

there wasn't any ugly americans in the audience. It seems to me, as a german fan, it's a funny running gag

from the side of audience. Just like "Jeff, I love you..." or "...Thanks for coming from Kansas City. And now be quiet..."

At one point I was even thinking about to say: "Jeff, in Germany we love you too..."

But that's the problem, sometimes we are lovers without the right words for. And when Jeff was doing that

"we come over here to get away from you people" -statement he's continued with: "we come to get some

connection/conversation to other people, to local poeple..." Maybe he missed a little bit of that conversation,

while the usual suspects doing their hollers. By the way I think maybe they aren't special-wilco-backpackers

or jet-setters but just american students in europe. If I'd be in the U.S. and a german band would come over

to play in some cities I'd also scream out loud where I'm from, just to say hello to my countrymen.

Maybe it was just a misunderstood, and Jeff was feeling like "back in his old neighborhood" but all in all

it was an amazing performance and real good concert with an incredible set-list-arrangement...

I think Jeff just started to realize that the more he egged them on, the more loud and obnoxious they were going to get, so he stopped. From my vantage point, that was kind of the gist of the look that Nels gave Jeff. Actually, the hooting and hollering wasn't that obnoxious, really. I think part of what Jeff meant with the whole "we come over here to get away from you people" statement was just that that sort of stuff happens all the time in America and maybe being in Europe, there's some hope that it won't be as prevalent over here.

That is to say that one of the main reasons the band plays in Europe (and overseas, in general) is because it's an opportunity to get its music heard by a wider audience and not just by the same kind of Americans who come to shows in the U.S. I can't speak for Jeff or anyone else, but being an American traveling in Europe, I know the single biggest thing I want to avoid doing is being the stereotypical "ugly American." Maybe there was some of that sentiment in Jeff's comments as well... :ninja

I think you are totally right here, judging from what I saw during the amazing 3 nights we spent together.

You are most right about you not being the stereotypical American (are there "ugly" Americans anyway?! Not for me :D), you were great company, and we can't wait to do that and much more again. The sooner the better :yes

I think you are totally right here, judging from what I saw during the amazing 3 nights we spent together.

You are most right about you not being the stereotypical American (are there "ugly" Americans anyway?! Not for me :D), you were great company, and we can't wait to do that and much more again. The sooner the better :yes

Awww...thanks, Dunja,

Not sure whether to put this in this thread or the actual show thread, but Jeff singled out a little group of loud Americans at the show in Stuttgart tonight. He basically just said something to the effect of Americans are so loud and you can have a good time without being so loud. He later apologized to them, going over and blowing them a kiss during Hummingbird. But the point is, there's just no need to be the loudmouth, ugly American. Much better to be the subtle American, I think.

Anyway, the guys tonight were apparently from Chicago and made it eminently clear by yelling out stuff like, "Go Cubbies!" So I think the very light chiding they got from Jeff was deserved. Actually, I've noticed this quite a bit over the past couple of years, that Chicago people feel like they have some sort of claim on the band so they need to make their presence felt. I guess it's kind of like what pivoboy was saying about how if he was in the U.S. and a German band came over to play, he'd hoot and holler because they're his countrymen. I think there's a similar sort of Chicago pride thing that happens, not that it's always a good thing...:pirate

Actually, I've noticed this quite a bit over the past couple of years, that Chicago people feel like they have some sort of claim on the band so they need to make their presence felt. I guess it's kind of like what pivoboy was saying about how if he was in the U.S. and a German band came over to play, he'd hoot and holler because they're his countrymen.

Yeah, I think you're right, whenever Neil Finn plays in DC it seems like the entire staff of the New Zealand and Australian embassies attend as a group. They create an amazing ruckus between songs until Neil acknowledges them (which always happens early), and then they're appropriately reverential the rest of the show.

the last time i saw sondre lerche in los angeles there was a group of norwegian students next to me. all night they were discussing and strategizing just what greeting to yell to him regarding their all being from norway.

**note: they were speaking norwegian amongst themselves. i had a low-profile norwegian with me who gave me the skinny. :lol

...Chicago people feel like they have some sort of claim on the band so they need to make their presence felt...:pirate

Was there a Wilco concert anytime without any Chicago-natives, I wonder...

And who have claims of what? Every-one, no-one? The guys who have the loudest hollers?

It's a good question, and it could be the reason those lines in .What light.

And if the whole world’s singing your songs

And all of your paintings have been hung

Just remember what was yours is everyone’s from now on