I spent $9 on changing a mess of songs from the old to the plus format and $9.99 on Pink Floyd's Animals. The larger files sound pretty damned good.

haven't heard of this how large are the larger files?

They are at 256kbps, so I would imagine they are twice as big as the 128kbps ones, I would figure.

Well, you wouldn't be able to play the file with the DRM on it, would you? You'd have to burn it to a cd and then re-rip it, thus lowering the quality.

I know you can take those off some how w/o re-ripping em. My friend has a program that does it. Have to ask him about it.

I would guess if they keep the DRM on it they won't.

Itunes Plus is DRM free, however:

With great power comes great responsibility' date=' and apparently with DRM-free music comes files embedded with identifying information. Such is the situation with Apple's new DRM-free music: songs sold without DRM still have a user's full name and account e-mail embedded in them, which means that dropping that new DRM-free song on your favorite P2P network could come back to bite you.[/quote']
Itunes Plus is DRM free, however:

Oooo, that's dirty. Thanks for posting that.

i have tried several times to discern lossy vs. lossless. usually with very frustrating results. itunes songs that i have bought sound pretty good. it wasn't till i was aware of bit rates that i started to worry about it. so i did research and settled on 192 aac. lately i have been worried about not having an ipod forever, so have been using 192 mp3. i guess 256 is overkill in some cases, especially new music from mid 90s to now. all of that seems to have the same loudness to me. now, i have tried to put older stuff from the 70s in a less lossy or lossless format on my ipod and i just cant hear the difference. volume is still really low, i still have to adjust it. these different levels of loudness are pretty frustrating on shuffle. i know its not just about loudness, but clarity etc. i do think it is the source that determins all this stuff. YHF sounds great, to my ears, even at 160, where as Tonight's the Night still sounds like a 70s record at 320 or lossless.

oh well, ranting. more power to the audiofiles here. feedback?

the loudness issue has nothing to do with the bitrate... that all depends on the source.

as for whether you can tell the difference or not, that comes down to personal preference. although, it's doubtful that anyone could blindly tell the difference between 320kbps (which i find a bit overkill usually) and lossless. i like ripping with LAME at V2/APS. the file size is pretty manageable, and i can't discern any difference in sound, esp on my ipod.

i use ivolume for my mac to better equalize volume levels of different cds. it has worked well.

i use 256 aac for encoding and its pretty near flawless with acceptable file sizes. 192 aac or vbr lame encoded mp3 is going to be near perfect, too. it really matters on what music you listen to and how you listen to it.

isn't 256 overkill? I always thought the 192 aac was good enough

I agree, but they do sound sweet on the iPod.