just read the pitchfork review

havent heard that saying for a while!

For those not fluent in italian curses:

vafanculo.jpg

"Often when we say a record has "atmosphere," we mean it as a put-down. From Sgt. Pepper's to the present, a record's sonic appeal-- the effects, the mood, the spaces between the notes-- is inextricable from how it hits us. But when an artist pushes atmosphere in place of songs, it's frequently thought of as a crutch. Most listeners don't trust a mood to grab their hearts the way they trust, say, a human voice; nobody counts on production to deliver the "money note." ~Pitchfork's review of "Return to Cookie Mountain" by TVOTR

Initially, I thought Pitchfork would give SBS a positive review. Sure, there was that stereotype of Pitchfork that made me think otherwise, but I figured that judging from the quote I posted above, they'd be smart enough to see SBS as a good album full of many deceptively simple songs, and appreciate it for what it was, avoiding the usual dad-rock crap-journalism. But nah; they just interpret it as boring dad rock, when YHF itself had many boring songs saved only by some good studio gadgetry. I don't mind if someone doesn't like the record, but it just shows that Pitchfork is nothing more than a bunch of indie snobs who will wet their pants at incoherent noise* like Boards of Canada, Grizzly Bear, and Tv on the Radio, but will trash something direct and genuine out of fear that their hipster rating will take 20 negative hit points for doing otherwise.

*All very good bands btw; I just can't listen to them on a daily basis.