New Lauryn Hill song...finally

I'm not sure how many Lauryn Hill fans hang out on Wilco's board, but for those that are here, she's got a new song out. It's called "Lose Myself" and it's on the soundtrack for Surf's Up. You can check it out on iTunes. It wasn't at all what I was expecting (not the sound anyway), but the lyrics are all Lauyrn Hill. Rolling Stone did a short write up on it in their latest issue (in the Download section). They mentioned the song is apparently in response to Beyonce who said she would never "lose herself" like Lauryn Hill did. It's been five years since Ms. Hill put out anything, and so far I dig the shit out of this song. Her MTV2 Unplugged album is incredible (if you just skip past all her talking), and I hope this is all a sign of an album in the not too distant future. Five years is too long!

Miseducation is a classic - never actually heard that unplugged album, and your post might be the first good thing I ever read about it - worth checking out, huh?

Another good album from her would be nice.

Miseducation is a classic - never actually heard that unplugged album, and your post might be the first good thing I ever read about it - worth checking out, huh?

I think the unplugged album is either one you love or hate. When I listen to it on the computer I usually just make a playlist with the songs on the album, skipping over the sometimes long and out there "interludes" or her talking about the songs, love, sanity, and the music industry. All the songs on the album were new at the time (none were from Miseducation). I would have loved to heard what she did with them with a full band, but I'm just happy to have the versions on the unplugged album. It's a very bare and immediate performance.

Agreed on the unplugged album - the "interludes" can be interesting but it's a lot of rambling ... although it's a pretty fascinating look into her state of mind at the time. Regardless, songs like Mr. Intentional and Adam Lives In Theory are pretty awesome.

I was really psyched to see the reunited Fugees performance in the Dave Chapelle movie a while back but once I finally got to watch it, I was a little let down. Lauryn just didn't have the oomph I was looking for...granted, that could have more to do with the Fugees not getting along well or whatever. The Score is still one of the coolest hip-hop albums ever, Miseducation is chock full of good times, Unplugged is a little uncomfortable to listen to if I recall correctly.

As far as Beyonce comparing herself to Lauryn...apples and oranges.

The Score is still one of the coolest hip-hop albums ever

+1 x 5000 :thumbup

That record is on my desert island top 20 easily, it's perfection from beginning to end.

I'm also a big fan of Miseducation... and actually don't mind some of the talking, so should check out the unplugged album sounds like. :thumbup

Thanks for the head's up on the song as well...think I need to search that one out. :) Would love to hear something new of hers.

miseducation is in my top 10 all time, but her unplugged album does not do anything for me.

the "talking" on the fugees or miseducation does not compare to what she decides to get off her chest on the unplugged.