Ryan Adams & the Cardinals

This was my fifth Ryan show. I was pumped for it, and (for the most part) the guys did not disappoint.

The show was supposed to start at 9 (there was no opener :w00t ). The lights were down and the house music had stopped, but there was no band. 9:05ish: The house music started again, and I started to worry. For the next 20 minutes or so, the crew brought out set lists, fiddled with stuff onstage, etc., and one guy kept shooting nervous glances backstage. But at 9:25 the band came out...

... and rocked. Although I'd heard most of these songs at previous shows, every single number was fresh. A lot of the intros were different to the extent that I didn't immediately recognize some songs (and I'm pretty familiar with his catalog). There was a good amount of jamming thrown in, and the Cardinals definitely took ownership of the older material. Ryan's voice sounded amazing, and the band was on fire.

It was great to hear Bartering Lines and I loved the very moving version of Peaceful Valley, but the highlight for me was I See Monsters (the last song of an 80-minute set). Holy. Fucking. Hell. The live version completely kicks the ass of the version on Love Is Hell.

And then they were gone. And they didn't come back. :ohwell Almost immediately after the band left, the house music started playing and the lights came up. Almost no one in the audience left, though. The band had been on such a roll and, except for the late start, everything seemed fine (and it seemed like Ryan was in a good mood), so everyone was expecting an encore. Then the crew came out and started unplugging things and taking stuff offstage. Still, hardly any of the audience had left. Finally, security came around and started telling people they had to leave (although the first people the geniuses told this to were the ones closest to the stage, and we couldn't go anywhere because the people behind us hadn't left yet).

Even though I was bummed that there wasn't an encore, the songs that were performed were amazing. It was definitely the best I've heard the band play.

OK, I'll shut up now. Here's the set list:

A Kiss Before I Go

What Sin

Off Broadway

Cold Roses

Please Do Not Let Me Go

Dear Chicago

Bartering Lines

Peaceful Valley

Beautiful Sorta

Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.

Magnolia Mountain

Two

Easy Plateau

Blue Hotel

I See Monsters

Good Times. Thanx for the review. I don't beleive they have done an encore this summer.

just one set, and gone. You make it sound as if the band was playing electric, were they?

Be the first of summer if so. Definitely the first set of the summer with more old songs

than the new ET tunes.

I'm hitting the Louisville, KY & Germantown, TN shows in 2 weeks and can't wait.

Good Times. Thanx for the review. I don't beleive they have done an encore this summer.

just one set, and gone. You make it sound as if the band was playing electric, were they?

Be the first of summer if so. Definitely the first set of the summer with more old songs

than the new ET tunes.

I'm hitting the Louisville, KY & Germantown, TN shows in 2 weeks and can't wait.

they've done encores in Chicago and New York. I'd prefer it if bands didn't do them though, especially when they're planned out.

they've done encores in Chicago and New York. I'd prefer it if bands didn't do them though, especially when they're planned out.

Isn't this part of the entire experience really? The two fake encores Wilco always does (usually) are most certainly planned. I have only seen one real encore in the last few years. Dave Alvin played Fitzgeralds and played one fake encore and then actually was called back for a real one because the crowd was so pumped up. I think the fake encore is expected.

LouieB

i am seeing ryan tonight and am so excited. was the band playing electric? also did ryan play any instruments or just sing? i know he hurt his hand or something.

edit: based on a review from alt-country.org ryan played guitar and it was electric! i am so excited

It was electric, and Ryan played guitar for the 1st time since his accident.

Pretty great show, especially juxtaposed against the Hiro show on Tuesday.

They did an encore in Detroit.

He is back to playing electric? Oh, darn! I wanted to see him one more time acoustic. :hmm That was a freakin beautiful show in Detroit.

Oh well, I can deal with it. ;)

They did an encore in Detroit.

He is back to playing electric? Oh, darn! I wanted to see him one more time acoustic. :hmm That was a freakin beautiful show in Detroit.

Oh well, I can deal with it. ;)

I read some reviews over on ryanadamsarchive.com. people described it as all electric, but they were set up like the acoustic shows, everyone was sitting down and Brad was playing his stripped down kit.

6/29 is a sweet show. Torrent on the Ryan Adams Archive board.

Hoping for a show(s) like last Friday in Louisville>Germantown.

i was at the 6/29 show...two encores...2 hour 40 minute set...seems like you just sort of have to get lucky with this guy

one of the best shows ive ever seen:

6/29/07 Somerville Theatre, Somerville, MA

Cold Roses

Please Do Not Let Me Go

Let It Ride

Elizabeth, You Were Born To Play That Part

Oh My God, Whatever, Etc.

Mockingbird

Dear Chicago

Peaceful Valley

Dear John

I Taught Myself How To Grow Old

Two

Easy Plateau

Goodnight Rose

What Sin Replaces Love>

A Kiss Before I Go

Slider (John's birthday song, cake, etc.)

Carolina Rain

1st Encore:

The Sun Also Sets

Games

Blue Hotel

Beautiful Sorta

Pearls On A String

Wild Flowers

2nd Encore

The End

Tears of Gold

Off Broadway

Magnolia Mountain

i was at the 6/29 show...two encores...2 hour 40 minute set...seems like you just sort of have to get lucky with this guy

one of the best shows ive ever seen:

Lucky you. We listened to this show all day yesterday.

You are right, better to enter the venue with little to no expectations.