So, I need help. There's this thing that Nels does wear he picks really fast and creates this giant wash of sound. I think he has reverb and fuzz on, but I'm not sure how he achieves this effect. He does it during the live versions "Handshake Drugs," "Muzzle Of Bees" and "At Least That's What You Said." I'm sure there's more songs that he does that on, but at the moment they escape me. Thanks!

Yeah, like at the end of the Impossible Germany solo? When Jeff and Pat come back in? I know what you mean too. I think the stuff live sounds a bit more...rambunctious than the stuff in Impossible Germany, which sounds a little more controlled. My friends and I just call it the "blastoff" noise. Unfortunately no one makes a Nels Cline signature pedal.

he doesn't use hammer technique, instead he stretches his hand to hit the same note on two strings, and alternate between the actual note and the note chromatically below it.

so he's hitting two E's, and alternating one finger between E and E flat. All whilst fanning the guitar.

has anyone else ever played a fuzz factory? I'm not so sure that Nels employs it as often as stated

I use one... and I think your right.

Yeah those things sound bat shit crazy. I bet he uses it in noise parts more than anything.

Probably.

It's hands down the best fuzz I've ever owned. You can nail a classic fuzz-face sound with it and then tweak it to your satisfaction. However, subtle inputs make for dramatic changes. What statrts out warm a fuzzy easily evolves into nasty and over the top.

Honestly, I wish I could afford a second unit: One for my normal overdriven fuzz and a second for high oscillation effects.

Edit: About the initial Nels question. FWIW....It's probably more technique than anything (that wash of sound...yeah, I know what your talking about). Mix in a heaping helping of delay with that sweeping pick technique and you get something along those lines. Sounds a little more compressed too tho. to my ears.

• 2 weeks later...