The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History

And speaking of books, mark your calanders: On Nov. 15, "The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting" by Jim Walsh, will be released. Here are the details on the book, from the publisher:

For the first time, all of the hearsay, half-truths, legends, and allegations associated with this maelstrom of a rock & roll band are unraveled in this oral history by longtime Twin Cities music journalist Jim Walsh.

Through interviews with family, friends, and fans; former manager Peter Jesperson; Twin/Tone record label cofounder Paul Stark; and musicians around the nation influenced by the band, Walsh lays bare with painful clarity a tale that unfolds like a tragicomedy in three perfect acts. Celebrated by national publications, the Mats often seemed more hell-bent on sabotaging their status as critical darlings than parlaying it. With their markedly apolitical stance amid their decidedly political peers, their uncool embrace of "classic rock" influences like KISS and The Faces, and their Dionysian appetites (and the resulting tendency to literally fall on their own faces), The Replacements lasted 12 years despite themselves.

From the band

With the words oral history in the title, I would think it will read like the first David Crosby book or the Edie Sedgewick book - that is, written in blocks consisting of other people/the band members speaking about the band. I have read probably at least a hundred if not more rock books by now.

I don't know if there's anything left to read about this band that will be new or revelatory, nevertheless I'm sure I'll be checking it out when it comes out.

• 3 months later...

okay, the past two hours spent reading this thing served as a virtual timewarp to sitting around a dingy, frank zappa poster laden room in our shithole of a fraternity house at 3PM on a Friday afternoon w/ my musical sherpa and future best friend...drinking tall boys of schaeffer, occasionally chasing it w/ shots of night train, smoking way too many cigarettes and having my glam-metal loving freshman mind blown by 'Left of the Dial'.

the parity of being turned onto good music by word of mouth or stumbling on it yourself of my college days to the pre-internet-file share-torrent DIY era the band came up in is palpable. it's also rekindled my undying love for them and everything they didn't stand for.

i think i'm going to play 'pleased to meet me' while the kids play in the living room. rock osmosis...rockmosis.

the parity of being turned onto good music by word of mouth or stumbling on it yourself of my college days to the pre-internet-file share-torrent DIY era the band came up in is palpable. it's also rekindled my undying love for them and everything they didn't stand for.

As much as I love the instant gratification factor of modern technology, I do miss the days of lucking into a band. I bought my first 'Mats album based solely on word-of-mouth. One of the best musical gambles I ever made.

Looking forward to the book. I want to read it back-to-back with "Petal Pusher: A Rock and Roll Cinderella Story" by Laurie Lindeen (Mrs. Westerberg). Yeah, I love rock books.

Despite the fact that rock bios aren't my cup of tea, I will likely be devouring this one. The Replacements have to be one of the most underrated bands in the history of bands.

Not underated...they just didn't sell the shitload of records that they deserved to.