He's covered as much territory as a lot of other guys who are considered to be greats. Whether or not you think he stacks up to them quality-wise is a different matter, but he's covered as many styles of music as almost all of the still-worshipped guitar gods of the '60s. It's not like many of them were really genre hoppers.

He's covered as much territory as a lot of other guys who are considered to be greats. Whether or not you think he stacks up to them quality-wise is a different matter, but he's covered as many styles of music as almost all of the still-worshipped guitar gods of the '60s. It's not like many of them were really genre hoppers.

guitar playing styles, not musical styles ;)

I could probably agree with that. People have had such easy access to music over the last several years. Maybe as a result, musicians are held to different standards than they were by fans and their fellow musicians in the '60s when the world of music was not just a mouse click away. Seems like you have to do more, or make some huge stylistic progressions to get that sort of acclaim these days. Certainly Jack White has played in an equal or greater number of music styles as Eddie Van Halen, SRV or Randy Rhodes, to name a few.

One genre hopper and certified Guitar God is Jeff Beck.

Jack's prowess on the guitar got him recognized a few years back. Seems Beck liked what he heard and felt The Stripes would be perfect to cover some Yardbirds songs at a show in England. (Venue??????)

I'm sure is was awkward, raw and contained many moments of shredding glory.

Although he can't touch Beck's softer side, he certainly is able to capture SOME of his ferociousness.

That's what I like most about JW - Raw power w/ good melodies.

if I want percision, i'll listen to S. Vai or EVH. :guitar