Lead guitarist wanted...

so who is then? i'm not saying nels is, by any means, just wondering who you (and others) would say is..

My favorite guitarist is J Mascis (note favorite i don't know how you really judege the best guitarist of a generation)

Him and Nels are very different and I like them both a lot for what they do. I wonder if they ever jammed together considering they both play on mike watt's album ball hog & tugboat.

I just watched some footage from I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, and Jay is a heck of a lot better than I thought he was. I've only seen Nels live, but it looks like Jay would be a whole lot of fun to watch up close as well.

Nels has bashed J. Mascis in print...OUCH!

http://hootpage.com/hoot_nelsshinebox1.html

Word kept leaking out that Mascis was in town. It was true, he showed up behind the stage at the end of the set.

As we walked offstage to a really good response (Watt's locked in on a set list that he likes, so we always end w/"Tuff Gnarl" now). Watt asked J to do "Maggot Brain". J, typically lethargic, took Watt down stairs to the dressing room, where I guess a million dudes had showed up (and drunk all our beer, etc). I waited offstage for what seemed like forever, finally shouting, "What is this England!?" to nobody in particular. Finally they came out for the selfsoilage hour: J, Watt & King from Urge Overkill on drums (J's idea apparently). J on my guitar playing in the wrong key for almost half the song, then went to Emixo. instead of Eaeolian. King never got the groove. Then this Watt fan, Scott went out on Vince's drums to cinch the soilage quotient. J went on forever, gradually turning up everything to 10. It stunk! It was rockstar bullshit I hate to admit. Then the crew returned for "Piss Bottle" (which was when I discovered the pedal settings. J had left the guitar on the stage w/ the compressor on just squealing). That was it.

Avoided all backstage schmooze and broke down gear. J bailed, I acknowledged him, but I didn't know what to say. King was so drunk, I don't think he knew anything. Steve Reed: "I hate it when the gigs get cheapened". I did say something to Watt that was a dig. He's always going on about J's photographic musical memory, so I said, upon seeing that Watt was bugged by the slackness, "so much for J's photoraphic memory!" Watt howled and found J & started telling him what key it's in. I guess he didn't remember it at all.

Define generation. Nels is in his early 50s.
He is one of the best guitarists of MY generation (talkin about my gggggeneration....) Prior to joining Wilco he was certianly one of the best little known guitarists of anyone's generation.

LouieB

To give J. Mascis the benefit of the doubt, Nels, in the same tour diary, says this about J.'s guest appearance from 10 days later:

"Mascis came out & did "Maggot Brain", & this time it was no soilage--he sounded great. "

Nels has bashed J. Mascis in print...OUCH!

http://hootpage.com/hoot_nelsshinebox1.html

Word kept leaking out that Mascis was in town. It was true, he showed up behind the stage at the end of the set.

As we walked offstage to a really good response (Watt's locked in on a set list that he likes, so we always end w/"Tuff Gnarl" now). Watt asked J to do "Maggot Brain". J, typically lethargic, took Watt down stairs to the dressing room, where I guess a million dudes had showed up (and drunk all our beer, etc). I waited offstage for what seemed like forever, finally shouting, "What is this England!?" to nobody in particular. Finally they came out for the selfsoilage hour: J, Watt & King from Urge Overkill on drums (J's idea apparently). J on my guitar playing in the wrong key for almost half the song, then went to Emixo. instead of Eaeolian. King never got the groove. Then this Watt fan, Scott went out on Vince's drums to cinch the soilage quotient. J went on forever, gradually turning up everything to 10. It stunk! It was rockstar bullshit I hate to admit. Then the crew returned for "Piss Bottle" (which was when I discovered the pedal settings. J had left the guitar on the stage w/ the compressor on just squealing). That was it.

Avoided all backstage schmooze and broke down gear. J bailed, I acknowledged him, but I didn't know what to say. King was so drunk, I don't think he knew anything. Steve Reed: "I hate it when the gigs get cheapened". I did say something to Watt that was a dig. He's always going on about J's photographic musical memory, so I said, upon seeing that Watt was bugged by the slackness, "so much for J's photoraphic memory!" Watt howled and found J & started telling him what key it's in. I guess he didn't remember it at all.

That is really cool to read. I had not seen that before thank you for sharing. I still love both of them when it comes to guitar :thumbup