Installing a strap button

Okay so, I've got a Yamaha acoustic (FG730) that I enjoy a lot, except...it doesn't have a strap button on the heel, and I hate having the strap on the headstock. Just doesn't feel right to me, I'm not as comfortable playing like that. Anyone know if Yamaha uses bolted on necks, or are they glued? I'd like to install another strap button (maybe even strap locks) on there, but I'm kind of nervous about drilling the heel. It's not a really nice guitar or anything but I'm kind of attached to it (or I will be, once I get the strap on there as I like it). Thanks!

If you do it yourself, make sure your pilot hole is a smaller diameter than the strap screw, and to prevent drilling too deep wrap a piece of duct tape or electrical tape around the bit demarking your max depth. The Collings and Taylor websites have instructions for installing a strap button and both these manufacturers use bolt-on necks.

in general, a guitar center tech is only different from a guitar center salesperson because he's the only person in the store that knows an allen wrench is a type of tool and not some specific guy's tool. avoid gc for mechanical issues. just look at how cruddy their in-store setups are before you ask them to put down the glue they're sniffing and drill into your baby.

• 4 weeks later...