Mildew stain on tweed covering

I have a Fender Blues Deville 4x10 that is less than a year old. At a recent gig, someone sat a drink on the top and it left a wet spot.. I didn't notice it at the gig, so I put the cover on the amp and took it home.. Well, the next day, I found that it left a large mildew spot on the Tweed covering.. Normally, I wouldn't care to have a stain or two, but this looks REALLY bad. I have tried to wipe it out with cleaner, but that does no good.

Anyone know of any good product that could remove the mildew? Or am I screwed and would be better off buying a piece of tweed to recover the spot?

Thanks in advance..

You had me at "wet spot"

I've had other problems with the tweed cover on my bassman, and I've resigned myself to thinking that said blemishes are simply mementos that future fans will credit to my blistering touring resume.

You had me at "wet spot"

I've had other problems with the tweed cover on my bassman, and I've resigned myself to thinking that said blemishes are simply mementos that future fans will credit to my blistering touring resume.

Haha.. Yeah.. I'm starting to accept that there isn't much I can do about it.. I guess it'll just have to be my first battle scar. Thanks for the reply.

I agree -- it appears you are stuck with a battle scar unless you feel up to a little reupholstering. You can purchase Fender tweed material online and replace the stained cloth, but that would be quite a project to undertake on a year-old amp.

Personally, I think a few stains and tattered spots give an amp character. Still, that first stain, scratch, dent, etc. on a guitar or amp is the toughest to handle -- especially on a nice tweed-covered amp like yours. Condolences.

Scotch Guard the bitch to prevent future stains perhaps?

I'm planning on covering it with something.. You think Scotch Gaurd would do the trick??

I did my own repair for the mildew stain yesterday. I took a piece of tweed from inside the back of the amp (part that you can't see). I cut out a square around the stain, and then put the piece over it.. Yeah, you can see the lines of the patch now instead of the stain, but I guess it looks better than it did.. Maybe some day I'll recover the whole top part of the amp.

I dunno why, I'm just anal about the way my equip looks.. I have a 93 strat that looks practically new because of this.

I'm not super super familiar with Scotch Guard, but the material should be porus enough to absorb enough of the chemicals that you won't need to be worrying about someone messing it up-- I'd look into some other options though. I've got a lil' baby Carvin Vintage 16 that has a nice tweed covering that looks like it's been shellac'd. I happen to dig the way it looks, it's a nice texture but durable as hell. Maybe there's a waterproofing clear treatment like that you could look into?

I'm not super super familiar with Scotch Guard, but the material should be porus enough to absorb enough of the chemicals that you won't need to be worrying about someone messing it up-- I'd look into some other options though. I've got a lil' baby Carvin Vintage 16 that has a nice tweed covering that looks like it's been shellac'd. I happen to dig the way it looks, it's a nice texture but durable as hell. Maybe there's a waterproofing clear treatment like that you could look into?

Yeah, I heard that some people have used Shellac, but it dries so fast that it's hard to make it look really nice.. You will get a bunch of brush streaks etc. because it dries almost instantly.. I'll look into some other things, but surprisingly there isn't that much on the web that covers this subject..

You might even give the folks at Carvin or another closely approximate company a shout. The coating on mine definitely isn't shellac, that was a poor choice of words. It's not especially hard or anything, it's got almost a gummy / rubbery feel to it without being sticky in anyway. It makes it feel like it's equal part impact shielding as well as preventative covering. I know that can't be the case-- I don't know any tubes that won't explode anyway with a bump way way within it's protection threshold--but that's the impression I get. Let me know if you want some close up photos or anything and I'll try n' help ya out.

You need to search for info on "laquering" the tweed. That is what fender did in the fifties, and their is a bunch of info available on that because so many people build those amps. I think there is some stuff on www.mojomusicalsupply.com about it.

You need to search for info on "laquering" the tweed. That is what fender did in the fifties, and their is a bunch of info available on that because so many people build those amps. I think there is some stuff on www.mojomusicalsupply.com about it.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.. It definitely needs some kind of coat now that I have a square on the top where I made my little repair. Maybe something dark that would hide it.. Like a dark orange or something.. That would probably look pretty darn cool! Why am I so obsessed with the way my amp looks? Once I laguer it, maybe I'll post a pic or something.. If you guys care.. :)

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.. It definitely needs some kind of coat now that I have a square on the top where I made my little repair. Maybe something dark that would hide it.. Like a dark orange or something.. That would probably look pretty darn cool! Why am I so obsessed with the way my amp looks? Once I laguer it, maybe I'll post a pic or something.. If you guys care.. :)

I totally understand the obsession. There's just something about that Fender tweed.

I've paid more in repairs on my instruments than the cost of them alone.I say leave it as is,you'll be proud of those scars in years to come.If doesn't effect the sound than all else is sweet memories!

I shouldve mentioned in my earlier post that I have a clark (boutique Fender Copy www.clarkamplification.com) Deluxe amp, and it has a laquered tweed finish. I play in bars several times a week, and I dont have an amp case or cover. It has some scuffing along the sides and the bottom, but the tweed has held up really well. There is no fraying, and the amp has supported many sweating pint glasses (and a few spills!!!) with no problem, the liquids brush right off. I think the process makes the road rash/bar tan that your amp will develop look cooler too, because every non-laquered one I have seen looks fuzzy because the tweed frays. The laquer keeps the tweed together better.

I shouldve mentioned in my earlier post that I have a clark (boutique Fender Copy www.clarkamplification.com) Deluxe amp, and it has a laquered tweed finish. I play in bars several times a week, and I dont have an amp case or cover. It has some scuffing along the sides and the bottom, but the tweed has held up really well. There is no fraying, and the amp has supported many sweating pint glasses (and a few spills!!!) with no problem, the liquids brush right off. I think the process makes the road rash/bar tan that your amp will develop look cooler too, because every non-laquered one I have seen looks fuzzy because the tweed frays. The laquer keeps the tweed together better.

Yeah, I'm looking into a laquer now.. Time to make a trip to Home Depot.

I like it a lot. I got it a few years ago back when I didn't know much about amps, but I was lucky enough to go on someone's recommendation. It takes a little while to get used to-- for the longest time I didn't know how to set the levels properly, but with some experimenting it ends up quite, quite nice.

I play a late 90's Tele standard through it, with the volume maxed and the tone dialed fairly low--it's great for cleans, but where it really shines is with the Soak and the levels dialed all the way up. The result is this chunky, thick, dirty ass tone that's fantastic for switching between rhythm and leads with no adjustment whatsoever. Have you ever had one of those Crunchie chocolate bars, with the thick crunchy, spongey toffee? It's kinda like that, but more rock and roll. If you'd like a couple samples, I can try and record some for you on whatever settings you were lookin' for.

i've heard the clips, but computer speakers kinda fail to do it right. thanks for your impressions. I'm torn on getting either another quad-x preamp (biggest regret selling that thing) or a vintage 16. i rarely use my belair because it's just too loud for my current setting.

Yeah, the 16's plenty, plenty loud. It's almost too loud for my house, but if you really push it delicately it's not bad for zeroing in. It's never been turned up to it's highest, and to be honest, I'm pretty damn scared to do so.

What guitar(s) are you planning on running through it?

I've got a nice Ibanez maple hollowbody with a rosewood neck with an SD Jazz and Pearly Gates swapped out-- that thing pulls off some really nice tones, but it lacks the high end I really like. I find to get the most out of it, I pretty much pishaw anything to do with the equalizing knobs and have them cranked all the way or at five, so if you've got something a little darker I'm not sure if it'll be exactly how I described.

That being said, I've been playing lately and it's quite versatile. One of my roomates has a Dot, I'll grab it from him within the next few days, dial it up and let you know what's what. If I can record something I will, but I highly doubt it'll pan out-- at best, I can compare it to a couple tunes you might know, or at the very least approximate what it's like.