Learning to play guitar,

Since I bought my first album, I have always wanted to play guitar but have never had the chance to learn because of monetary reasons. This year, things have changed; my roomate is a music education major and has a dozen or so guitars propped up all over our room. He has been generous enough to let me learn on one of them.

Which brings about my question, what songs should I start out with? My roomate is into Metallica and Incubus and the like, and I can't say I'm a fan. Are there any Wilco/Tupelo/Loose Fur songs that could show my hands around a guitar to get familiar with playing?

Since I bought my first album, I have always wanted to play guitar but have never had the chance to learn because of monetary reasons. This year, things have changed; my roomate is a music education major and has a dozen or so guitars propped up all over our room. He has been generous enough to let me learn on one of them.

Which brings about my question, what songs should I start out with? My roomate is into Metallica and Incubus and the like, and I can't say I'm a fan. Are there any Wilco/Tupelo/Loose Fur songs that could show my hands around a guitar to get familiar with playing?

Via Chicago is a pretty great song and also relatively easy. 3 chords -- D, A and G. In that order.

i am trying to break your heart is simple on an acoustic, i stick a capo on 2 then its, A-Em-D, the little solo runs are simple to they are all over this site, if u wanna get fancy ask your roomate for some simple suspended chords to add flair to it

California Stars is super easy.

Guest Left Arm Tan

misunderstood is extremely simple, just:

D - G

D - G

D - G

G - D

doesn't get much simpler than that.

just practice your chord shapes over and over again, and play the songs over and over again.

and then start challenging yourself with the harder shit.