gear swap question

So assuming i know what i get out of both amps and assuming i already know i like the marshall sound - would you say i'm making a good trade to swap a early 2000s fender blackface (evil) twin amp for an early 80s marshall jcm 800 that was just given a clean bill of health by a tech?

i know that i'd rather have the marshall (i have other big fenders anyway) and being as i bought the twin for $500 and this guy is asking $750 for the 800 that it makes financial sense - but i just want to hear someone else's opinion on the matter before i pull the trigger.

In my opinion, it's a bit of apples and oranges. It will depend on the style of music you like to play. I used to play through a Marshall half-stack and now use a Fender combo. The Marshall had great gain and sounded really awesome on heavier rock and roll. For country, blues and more 'vintage' overdrive tones, the Fender is superb. I'd take the Fender clean over the Marshall and day of the week.

thanks guys - and yeah, as i said - i've had (and have others) of both fenders and marshalls and know what to expect out of both - and yeah - having already got a deluxe and couple of smaller fender's i think i'd like the JCM in the arsenal -

i guess i was just looking to make sure no one said - "wait! don' trade do that - the twin is worth more than you think" or soemthing, basically being insecure before pulling the trigger. i think i'm going to do it this weekend though.

I'd do the trade if I were you. You already have some nice Fender amps. You'll have fun with the Marshall. Ask the owner of the Marshall if he has a receipt or paperwork from the tech that checked out the amp. That will come in handy if you decide you don't like the Marshall and want to sell or trade it.

thanks guys - and yeah, as i said - i've had (and have others) of both fenders and marshalls and know what to expect out of both - and yeah - having already got a deluxe and couple of smaller fender's i think i'd like the JCM in the arsenal -

i guess i was just looking to make sure no one said - "wait! don' trade do that - the twin is worth more than you think" or soemthing, basically being insecure before pulling the trigger. i think i'm going to do it this weekend though.

Nice, yeah, definitely go through with the trade then.

I was eyeing the Deluxes a while back, still can't decide on what to buy (plus I'd have to do some saving for the deluxe at this point).