Ryan Adams in Champaign 10/4

I don't do set lists but here are some lights and lows of the show.

Ryan was definately in good spirits tonight. He seemed to have something to say in between most songs. Lots of Fucks and Oh my gosh and seemed to be having an ordeal into his 4th day of no smoking. He wondered out loud why he would do such a thing while on tour. Some of this stuff as humorus mostly for the younger college kids (nothing against you guys) but being 33 it got to be a bit annoying. He'd go over to the side of the piano and just bang on it. Even his bandmates seemed a little tired of the constant rambling.

However, the music they played was fantastic. They were definately on and were very tight. Een Ryan was patient with the guitar tech when his pedals suddenly quit working toward the end of the set and again during the encore.

Ryan is for sure a guy I can cross off my list and say I've seen of musicians I worship. I knew going in I would be listening to mostly new stuff and songs that are with the Cardinals but a part of me really wished it would have been more of a "greatest hits" Ryan such as songs from his Whiskeytown days. I recall only Stars Go Blue and Rescue Blues of songs he played from his older catalog.

This was probably only the first concert I've been to where the lead singer takes an intermission and the house lights come on halfway through the set so he could take a piss. Another highlight was they played for nearly 2 1/2 hours. (Although a lot of it as mentioned was talking)

I was a little worried Ryan would be pissed. I got there right at 7:30 to about 50 people. I as really worried noone was gonna be there. Eventually the bottom almost filled up with a few scattered up in the balcony.

I'm sure there will be a set list on here soon.

from RAA:

Set 1 (8:15)

Goodnite Rose

Rescue Blues

A Kiss Before I Go

Peaceful Valley->

What Sin->

Beautiful Sorta

Nightbirds

Please Do Not Let Me Go

Off Broadway->

Bartering Lines

Set 2 (9:30)

Sweet Lil Gal (piano)

Two (band)

Sun Also Sets

Cold Roses

(A bit freaking out due to 4 days with no cigs)

-Band Intros-

Dear John

Shakedown on 9th

Goodnight Hollywood Blvd.

Encore 10:10

Everybody Knows

When Stars Go Blue

Easy Plateau->

Space

End 10:39

I was at this show, because I am a student at U of I. I had my doubts, because I bought tickets and my roommate wanted to go (he works for the company that brings the talent to the school). Him and I were very very impressed. The last time I saw him was at Lollapalooza, and the band was so much tighter. The music sounded great, and I was pumped that he played such a long set. "Shakedown on 9th Street" was a personal highlight, and the version he did was awesome.

I loved this show. It was so funny banter-wise and fantastic musically.

I lucked into a front row seat after the "pee break." "Sweet Lil Gal" was really beautiful on piano. And "Easy Plateau" is one of my fav's, and it morphed into "Space" and ... woah. What a killer way to end a show. "Bartering Lines" was a highlight. Well, the whole dang performance was wonderful.

Favorite banter? Probably the slagging he gave to Maroon 5, singing high-pitched and weird like that Maroon 5 guy does, making fun of their lyrics (and his own) and their name. "I think we need a number in our band name." Several times he would strike a Pete Townsend/windmill style stance with one arm up in the air ready to rip into a rock star moment, but then playfully ask "now what song are we doing?" and never did a single windmill. He was obviously having a great time on stage.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I had my reservations about this show too. I'm so happy I did because I've been dabbling a little in his newer stuff and this just made me more interested. I was surprised that there were so few people there when it was scheduled to start, but he was out all day trying to find new shoes, and I'm pretty sure he was at the Bread Company across the street until a little before 8:00. The band didn't wander into the auditorium until 8:00 anyway. Yeah.

It was free for me because I'm a member of Starcourse (the "company that brings the talent"), and it was interesting hearing what other people were saying about him when we were all watching in the back. Yeah, he's entertaining, but man, he knows he is good and probably thinks he is better than he is. All the jabs at Maroon 5 were really funny, but at one point my friend was just like, if I was a fan of his I'd be pissed that he bitches for 5 minutes between each song. But when he finally did start up, his stuff is solid.

Oh, and obviously, I've been trying to suggest Wilco or at least a Tweedy solo show for us to book. He was here last year, and I hope with all the breaks in the tour we'll be able to catch him.

Keep up on the Wilco show!!! I doubt if he'll be here solo again, at least for awhile since he was just here last fall. I think it was the fall. I imagine he'll stop through here before the tour is done. At least he usually does. Yeah, Ryan was at the Bread Company. Somebody asked if they wee part of the Cardinals. One guys said yes, the other said no. Ryan was also downtown Champaign I believe at the Salvation Army shop and a guitar store.