NEW DBT Album Announced

1st few listens of BTCD and I like it a lot. I think Cooley is one hell of a singer songwriter. Some of his stuff blows me away.

BTW, i didnt say the band was ruined when Jason left, I said the triple-threat was gone. It's a rare band that had three such talented songwriter/musicians

Jason's new album is pretty strong too :) Dress Blues is a beauty

Actually, now would be the only time to declare it an "instant classic." Wait any longer, and it will only be "classic." :D

Touche!!! :cheekkiss

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much in the same way when Jason's songs from ABAAC were played.

eh? what shows did you see?

i'll agree Jason's tracks from ABAAC weren't his best, but he wrote the best songs on The Dirty South by FAR... not even close actually.

i have a feeling Jason kept his best tracks to himself instead of pushing them for ABAAC.

I'm kind of surprised no one's commented on this album now that it's officially out, but I guess such is the nature of today's listening timeline/experience. Anyway, four of the guys over at Nine Bullets did a song-by-song review of the album that I dug. I'm cross-posting here what I posted over there. I know some of you frequent that board as well...

I like the song-by-song rundown, so I'm going to humbly submit my opinions now that I've got a copy in hand. I'll admit that when I first heard the 30 second clips on Amazon I was kind of underwhelmed. How dumb of me to make an opinion based on those snippets. Like Patterson says, this one's a grower, and after listening to CMT.com's stream and now listening to the CD, I gotta say it has really grown on me. This is one of their best. There are still some songs that I'll need time to come around on, but all in all I'm glad we got the album they made. I don't think I'd cut a single track, because I think I'll eventually come around to appreciate every single song.

Wes Freed's artwork is really great this time around (although there isn't a lot of it) and the packaging of everything was done really well.

Okay, on to my attempt at a sorta short song-by-song review...

Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife

What an absolutely gorgeous and heartbreaking song. A really strong opener. I can only imagine the power this song will have over me if our twins due this summer are girls.

3 Dimes Down

Somehow when I heard the 30 second clips, I was under the impression there weren't many rockers on this album. I was wrong and this song is part of the reason. I bet this is going to be great live.

The Righteous Path

I can honestly say that for me this is one of Patterson's best songs...and not just on this album. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm really into this song right now.

I'm Sorry Huston

I know there's a lot of consternation over the Shonna songs, but I for one am really stoked she's writing and singing for DBT. This song has really grown on me. I think it takes a verse to really click for me, but I'm glad it's here.

Perfect Timing

Cooley fucking owns this record and it's not hard to see why with a lyric like "I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long." (As has been mentioned elsewhere!)

Daddy Needs a Drink

Not my favorite Patterson song, but it's worth it for Neff and Spooner alone. They really make this song. I also really like Shonna's voice paired with Patterson's.

Self Destructive Zones

"Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old." I never thought a Cooley song would share something in common with a Nirvana song, but there you are.

Bob

This is a perfect example of why I'm glad all these songs are on the album, even the ones I don't particularly like right now. When I first heard "Bob" I disliked it, dismissed it, and thought it didn't fit the album. Now it's one of my favorites. I think it's some really stellar writing by Cooley. It should be a hit on country radio.

Home Field Advantage

How did I miss this when I thought this album wasn't going to bring the rock? I won't say this is one of Shonna's best on the album. I'll just say it's one of the best on the album period.

The Opening Act

I'll admit this is one I'll have to come back to at some other time. Right now it doesn't do a lot for me, but that doesn't mean it won't at some point in the future.

Lisa's Birthday

Another one that I can do without now, but maybe that will change. I will say I'm glad they're playing different types of songs and trying other things out, because how boring would it be to have a ton of songs (or albums) from a band that all sound the same?

That Man I Shot

After Jason's "Dress Blues," I think this is the best Iraq War song going. I know a lot has been said (by Patterson and others) about addressing the political by talking about the personal, and this is an amazing example of that. I also love the way the guitars comes in at the beginning.

The Purgatory Line

I don't think Shonna's voice sounds like Neko Case's (no one sounds like Neko), but I think this song would have fit in well on Blacklisted or Fox Confessor Brings the Flood. I never thought I'd hear a song like this on a DBT record, but I'm really happy it's on this one.

The Home Front

Ultimately I don't think this song is as effective as "That Man I Shot," if that's even the right word. I think this song will always be connected to "That Man I Shot," and the latter is the better of the two. (For me anyway.)

Checkout Time in Vegas

Shonna's harmony/backing vocals are one of the great surprises of this record, and the second verse of this song is a great example of that.

You And Your Crystal Meth

This is yet another song I'll have to come back to at some point. It'll take more time to grow on me.

Goode's Field Road

I know this is an older Patterson song, but it shares the same theme as almost as every other Patterson song on this album: the love for and responsibility of family. I think it's clear Patterson's a real family man and that really speaks to me at this time in my life.

A Ghost to Most

This man can turn a fucking phrase. I remember when they started playing these songs last year, and this one immediately stood out for me. What an absolutely awesome chorus (whether you think it's bridges or britches Wink .)

The Monument Valley

This is a perfect closer and Patterson vocals sound great on this one. Everyone's contributions on this record stand out well, especially Shonna, Neff and Spooner's.

A very good and thoughtful post. I agree with a lot of what u said. I think a little editing would have helped this album but its still very strong. Fav cuts for me The man I shot, 3 dimes down, and the righteous path.

i'll agree Jason's tracks from ABAAC weren't his best, but he wrote the best songs on The Dirty South by FAR... not even close actually.

i have a feeling Jason kept his best tracks to himself instead of pushing them for ABAAC.

Jason wrote the best songs by far? Not even Close? I had no Idea he wrote Lookout Mountain, Where the Devil Don't Stay, Carl Perkins Cadillac...Interesting. I learn something new everyday.

All kidding aside, Jason's songs in Dirty South are very good and as a whole are among his best, however...I don't think they are the best on the album by far. There are some dammed good songs on there from Cooley and Patterson more than equal to anything Jason did. Either way it is all a matter of opinion and personal taste anyway.

Jason wrote the best songs by far? Not even Close? I had no Idea he wrote Lookout Mountain, Where the Devil Don't Stay, Carl Perkins Cadillac...Interesting. I learn something new everyday.

All kidding aside, Jason's songs in Dirty South are very good and as a whole are among his best, however...I don't think they are the best on the album by far. There are some dammed good songs on there from Cooley and Patterson more than equal to anything Jason did. Either way it is all a matter of opinion and personal taste anyway.

i'll give you Carl Perkins is one of the top songs on Dirty South, but the other 2, not for me, sorry ;).

the best songs for me on Dirty South (in order):

Goddamn Lonely Love

Danko/Manuel

The Day John Henry Died

Carl Perkins Cadillac

Tornadoes

Never Gonna Change

of those Jason wrote 4, so you can see why i hold Jason in such high regard in terms of that record, and my 2 favorite songs on Decoration Day are both written by him as well :)

i'll give you Carl Perkins is one of the top songs on Dirty South, but the other 2, not for me, sorry ;).

Goddamn Lonely Love

Danko/Manuel

The Day John Henry Died

Carl Perkins Cadillac

Tornadoes

Never Gonna Change

of those Jason wrote 4, so you can see why i hold Jason in such high regard in terms of that record, and my 2 favorite songs on Decoration Day are both written by him as well :)

I guess we will have to agree to disagree here. I personally don't think anyone song stands out from the pack in an album full of good songs. Where the devil don't stay sets the tone for the album and sucks the listener into that great trifecta opening the album. Look out mountain on the other hand closes out the album's final three very strong cuts. Any of which are among the best they have ever done. Granted Lookout Mountain is an older song remade, but in the context of this cd it is perfect right where it is.

I guess we have to disagree on Decoration day too...Hell No I Ain't Happy, Marry Me, Sounds Better in the Song, MY Sweet Annette, Something's got to give, When the Pin Hits the Shell, Decoration Day, Loaded gun in the closet All fairly equal in my eye's.

I guess my point is that Jason was and is a good song writer who fit in nicely with the group, but did not stand out greatly from the others...in my opinion.

I guess my point is that Jason was and is a good song writer who fit in nicely with the group, but did not stadn out greatly fromt he others...in my opinion.

fair enough...

i will say for em though, the 2x i saw them live in '00 before Jason joined, they were just a good live rock band. the 10 or so times i saw them with him on board, they had transcended into an incredible live band (and still are without him now).

as i said above (i think?) Jasons's voice is also heads and shoulders ahead of Patterson's & Cooley's for me, so that has a lot to do with why i prefer his stuff so much too.

Goddamn Lonely Love

Danko/Manuel

The Day John Henry Died

Carl Perkins Cadillac

Tornadoes

Never Gonna Change

Best of TDS (in order):

Cottonseed - MC

Puttin' People on the Moon - PH

Where the Devil Don't Stay - MC

Never Gonna Change - JI

The Sands of Iwo Jima - PH

Lookout Mountain - PH

Goddamn Lonely Love - JI

The love is equally distributed. BTW, "Decoration Day" is the best song Jason has ever written.

fair enough...

i will say for em though, the 2x i saw them live in '00 before Jason joined, they were just a good live rock band. the 10 or so times i saw them with him on board, they had transcended into an incredible live band (and still are without him now).

as i said above (i think?) Jasons's voice is also heads and shoulders ahead of Patterson's & Cooley's for me, so that has a lot to do with why i prefer his stuff so much too.

Never seen them live. Had tickets a couple of times, but haven't made it ever. For me I love Cooley's growling more than any of them. Patterson comes and goes for me. On the three albums they were together I always gravitated towards Cooley songs then Isbell then Patterson. So that should give a little perspective on where I am coming from. I guess with three singers and three songwriters you will have all sorts of differing opinions on who is the better, but as always it's our own opinions. I'm sure that there are some people out there who probably think Shonna has the best songs on the new album.

I've seen the band several times. No piss breaks for Deco Day, Outfit, Lonely Love, Never Gonna Change, but a lot of folks head for the stalls when Daylight, John Henry, Danko, and Easy on Yourself pops up.

I've seen the band several times. No piss breaks for Deco Day, Outfit, Lonely Love, Never Gonna Change, but a lot of folks head for the stalls when Daylight, John Henry, Danko, and Easy on Yourself pops up.

those people are idiots then...

not that i look around for it, but can't say i've seen anyone "head for the stalls" at any of the dozen+ DBT shows i've seen, no matter the song being played.

as for those Isbell songs, while some people don't like Daylight (i do, that soaring harmony kills me), but those other 3 songs are also some of DBT's best work too (especially Danko & John Henry)

Best of TDS (in order):

Cottonseed - MC

Puttin' People on the Moon - PH

Where the Devil Don't Stay - MC

Never Gonna Change - JI

The Sands of Iwo Jima - PH

Lookout Mountain - PH

Goddamn Lonely Love - JI

The love is equally distributed. BTW, "Decoration Day" is the best song Jason has ever written.

Decoration Day is one tremendous song. It gave me chills the first time I heard it.

SRO has too many filler tracks for me... even moreso than this new one (but i think this new one has higher highs)

That's the beauty of this whole conversation...we all see womething in each of these albums that moves us, be it Jason's songs or Cooley and Hood or the theme's whatever. They each hold something. FOr me SRO works because of the story it tells and I hear no filler. Each song has it's place on the album and they all work together. But what I find to be an appealing song is someone else's filler and vice versa.

those people are idiots then...

not that i look around for it, but can't say i've seen anyone "head for the stalls" at any of the dozen+ DBT shows i've seen, no matter the song being played.

as for those Isbell songs, while some people don't like Daylight (i do, that soaring harmony kills me), but those other 3 songs are also some of DBT's best work too (especially Danko & John Henry)

I'm with you completely...with the exception of "Easy on Yourself"...that song blows.

edit: Great article in popmatters interviewing Cooley and Hood - link

blows???

ok, i can see not being your favorite, but blows??

that song is great at Jason solo shows too

maybe harsh... it just sounds like a Blue Oyster Cult tune to me. I love Jason but I think I agree with your earlier assessment that he held his best stuff for the solo endeavor. Personally, I think Blessing & a Curse would be a great album if Jason's offerings were a bit stronger. You plug Shotgun Wedding and Brand New Kind of Actress in place of the tunes that they went with and that would be a really strong album.