Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Billboard Article

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are going on tour this fall, but they'll be coming to a computer rather than a city near you.

To promote "The Live Anthology," a box set due out Nov. 24, Petty and company are launching the Superhighway Tour, an eight-week virtual experience. The "tour" begins at 10 a.m. EST on Sept. 29; for $24.98, fans will receive 24 of the 48 tracks on the basic "Live Anthology" set over an eight-week period up to treasury's Nov. 24, when "ticketholders" will receive the remaining songs from the box set.

Throughout the "tour" fans will also receive background information on the tracks, including band commentaries, reviews and other memorabilia. "Tickets" are available at tompettysuperhighwaytour.com.

"The Live Anthology" will feature concert recordings from 1978-2007, produced by Petty, Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate. In addition to Petty favorites it will also include covers such as the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil," the Zombies' "I Want You Back Again," Fleetwood Mac's "Oh Well," Booker T. and the MG's "Green Onions," James Brown's "Good Good Lovin'," the theme from the James Bond film "Goldfinger" and more.

The collection comes in three editions: the standard release, which includes 48 tracks on four CDs; a deluxe version exclusively at Best Buy that adds a fifth CD of live tracks as well as a Blu-Ray disc with all 62 tracks, DVD of a previously unreleased 1978 New Year's Eve concert in Santa Monica, Calif., a DVD of Martyn Atkins' unreleased "400 Days" documentary from the 1995 "Wildflowers" tour and a vinyl copy of the 1976 "Official Live 'Leg" promotional album; and a vinyl box set with 51 tracks on seven 180-gram LPs and a deluxe book.

"The Live Anthology" is only the second official Petty live released on CD, following "Pack Up the Plantation: Live!" in 1985.

Did you read the RS piece about the Live Anthology? Petty was a madman for recording his shows, even at the start. Sounds like a pretty wild collection he's put together.

I actually heard about this the other day. Leftsez was talking about receiving the discs and listening to them. I will have to check that out. I don't know if I need another Tom Petty live cd though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Runaway Jim

We forget how great TP was and is...

Petty is one of the greatest in my book. But I forget it sometimes too.

"Time to Move On" is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time.

Superhighway Website

You might think after so many years making great rock n’ roll music that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers would have a few live albums on the books.

But on November 24, Petty and Co. will release just their second (official) live album, Live Anthology, a four-disc set featuring many of Petty’s best performances from 1978 to 2007. The 48-song track list also features some choice covers, including Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” the Zombies’ “I Want You Back Again” and James Brown’s “Good, Good Lovin.”

The new collection brings together material culled from hundreds of hours of live concert recordings covering every era of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ tours and represents the best tracks as chosen by producers Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate.

Fans will be able to bathe in all this live, Tom Petty goodness with a variety of purchase choices:

* The standard edition CD features 48 tracks on four CDs

* There’s a five-CD version sold exclusively at Best Buy; comes with a Blu-Ray disc with all 62 tracks, a DVD of a 1978 New Year’s Eve concert in Santa Monica, a second DVD of Martyn Atkins’ unreleased “400 Days” documentary from the 1995 Wildflowers tour, and a vinyl version of the 1976 Official Live ‘Leg promo album

* A seven LP vinyl box set of 51 tracks mastered directly from the uncompressed 24-bit 96K files and pressed on 180-gram audiophile quality high performance vinyl.

* A re-mastered vinyl of the 1976 Official Live ‘Leg bootleg.

That’s a lot of Tom Petty, but so worth it. The guy (and his band) is a rock n’ roll legend.

He’s also not shy about tapping the digital side of the music experience. On September 29, Petty debuts SuperHighway Tour – a virtual portal where fans can download 24 of the 48 Live Anthology tracks over an eight week time frame leading up to the November 24 release. The website also features band commentary, photos and merchandise.

A free preview of the SuperHighway Tour also starts on September 29, which includes a free download of a track from the 1981 run of shows at Los Angeles’ Forum.

Seriously, Petty’s website is where it’s at – definitely worth a perusal for fans; this is how it’s done when you really want to give the fanbase the very best ‘experience’ possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Just saw them in July at Riverbend in Cincinnati which in my opinion is one of the worst live venues in the counrty but 10 minutes from the house. They sounded amazing which doesn't happen at Riverbend, or as I affectionately call it Reverb-bend.