Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Director Peter Bogdanovich had just finished telling the slightly wary crowd at the luxe Steven J. Ross theater in Burbank on the Warner Bros. studio lot that his Tom Petty doc, Runnin' Down A Dream, had formerly been running long-"But we got it down to 3:58". That' right, just a hair under four hours and even if you're a glutton for things Petty, as this correspondent is, that's pretty tall corn.

Bogdanovich also apologized to the Tuesday evening crowd for almost subtitling it, "An American Odyssey", which might have been "pretentious".

Truth is, over time Petty took the blows--from fetching up on the streets of L.A. to sign a bad deal with producer-impresario Denny Cordell, through struggles with his labels (his insistence on rewriting the original, crappy deal with ABC, followed by the famous scrap when MCA tried to use him to up the price of CD's to $9.98), the artistic struggles to keep his band busy and happy under his not always so benevolent dictatorship, plus a divorce, an arson fire that destroyed most of his earthly goods, the death via drugs of a band mate, the prolonged and painful alienation of another, the hand he shattered by punching on wall while making Southern Accents and now, though this is barely hinted at in the unsurprisingly worshipful film commissioned by Petty, the long, ongoing slog through the wreckage of the music business. A perennially strong touring band, Petty and his Heartbreakers have sold over a hundred million albums over time, but lately have been in need of a hit.

The Runnin' Down A Dream film, and accompanying three-disc DVD, is meant more as a recap than a commercial tide-turner. It will close the New York Film Festival on October 14, be unspooled in perhaps twenty markets countrywide (with the houses well papered by radio promotions) on October 15th, and then be available as a three-disc package (exclusively from Best Buy, at least through the holiday buying season, and listed at $29.99, with early orders five bucks less.

With most of the major audience-pleasers given at least a nod--from "American Girl": through ""Don't Come Around Here No More" (which was the lynch pin of Petty's amazing run as a featured MTV performer) and more recent fare like "Learning To Fly", and "I Won't Back Down", it's a brimming sampler of Petty's considerable accomplishments. By the time George Harrison (the Traveling Wilburys band mate was filmed before his death), Johnny Depp, Jackson Browne, Eddie Vedder and others have finished, the film's tried almost too hard to cement Petty's kingly pop stature. Bogdanovich pointed out to the crowd that he likes finding new worlds, and even his career-making The Last Picture Show was set in a Texas he'd barely known when he set out to make it. (A nice touch at the premiere was the presence of Cybill Shepherd, whom he'd infamously fallen for back then in 1971).

What makes this film festival-worthy is mostly the stuff found in emotional cracks that have barely been prized open previously--Petty's anger (from a difficult upbringing, tastefully documented Ken Burns-style) as an artistic motor, his steely resolve as a band leader (he's an odd mix of remorseless and remorseful), his strong sense of his own worth as it battles his perfectionism. Shot through with laughs that often depend on Petty's sly comic timing as a storyteller, and with charged band performances that make it worth seeking out the film in a theater with a good sound system, Runnin' Down A Dream will test your patience at times, but also offers rich rewards. It's as Petty says at the end of the coffee-table book (a well-made thing from Chronicle Books at $39.95): "For that couple hours on stage time just stops, and there isn't any other world but that one."

Runnin' Down A Dream: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

A Film by Peter Bogdanovich

Release Date: 10/16/2007

A 4 disc set, 3 DVDs with over 5 hours of video, 1 CD of rare and unreleased tracks

2 DVD, four hour Director's cut of famed Peter Bogdanovich's Runnin' Down a Dream

This movie contains hours of never before seen footage and interviews with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers plus music from the storied rock band's entire career. The movie features interviews with George Harrison, Eddie Vedder, Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Jeff Lynne, Rick Rubin, Johnny Depp, Jackson Browne and more. Also 1 DVD of the celebrated 30th Anniversary Concert in Heartbreaker hometown, Gainesville Florida

Disc 1:

Gainesville 2006

Elvis

What's In A Name

Mike

Benmont

B.Y.O.F (Build Your Own Festival)

Fast Forward

Deals

A Broken Bond

Ron & Stan

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Third

Fuel

Howie

Poet

Disc 2:

Bob Dylan

Strange Coincidences

Scott

The Bottom Line

Steve

John

Round Trip

Rock & Roll Heaven

Runnin' Down a Dream (End credits)

One 30th Anniversary Concert

Disc 3:

Listen To Her Heart

Mary Jane's Last Dance

I Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

Saving Grace

I'm A Man

Oh Well

Handle With Care

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Stevie Nicks)

I Need To Know (with Stevie Nicks)

It's Good To Be King

Down South

Southern Accents

Insider (with Stevie Nicks)

Learning To Fly

Don't Come Around Here No More

Runnin' Down A Dream

You Wreck Me

Mystic Eyes

American Girl

Bonus Soundtrack CD

Disc 4:

Breakdown

Anything That's Rock and Roll

Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)

American Girl

Shadow of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)

Stories We Could Tell

Keeping Me Alive

Honey Bee

Lost Highway

There is a companion coffee table book to the boxed set that was also released on Tues. I'm a big fan, so i picked up both the book and the DVD set at Best Buy. The book has the same name and picture cover as the boxed set and is about 240 pages long. There's some really cool pictures in the book. The DVD set is terrific! It's well worth picking that one up, in my opinion.

I've watched about half of this so far. I'm a petty fan and have enjoyed it. But to me it very much has a feeling of Deja vu as it seems to be made in the mold of "No Direction Home". I understand both are documentaries but it seems to me like a great director like Bogdanovich would be able to put a little more of his own stamp on the show. Am I wrong here? (that is a rhetorical question)

Runnin' Down A Dream: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

A Film by Peter Bogdanovich

Release Date: 10/16/2007

A 4 disc set, 3 DVDs with over 5 hours of video, 1 CD of rare and unreleased tracks

2 DVD, four hour Director's cut of famed Peter Bogdanovich's Runnin' Down a Dream

This movie contains hours of never before seen footage and interviews with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers plus music from the storied rock band's entire career. The movie features interviews with George Harrison, Eddie Vedder, Stevie Nicks, Dave Grohl, Jeff Lynne, Rick Rubin, Johnny Depp, Jackson Browne and more. Also 1 DVD of the celebrated 30th Anniversary Concert in Heartbreaker hometown, Gainesville Florida

Disc 1:

Gainesville 2006

Elvis

What's In A Name

Mike

Benmont

B.Y.O.F (Build Your Own Festival)

Fast Forward

Deals

A Broken Bond

Ron & Stan

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Third

Fuel

Howie

Poet

Disc 2:

Bob Dylan

Strange Coincidences

Scott

The Bottom Line

Steve

John

Round Trip

Rock & Roll Heaven

Runnin' Down a Dream (End credits)

One 30th Anniversary Concert

Disc 3:

Listen To Her Heart

Mary Jane's Last Dance

I Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

Saving Grace

I'm A Man

Oh Well

Handle With Care

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Stevie Nicks)

I Need To Know (with Stevie Nicks)

It's Good To Be King

Down South

Southern Accents

Insider (with Stevie Nicks)

Learning To Fly

Don't Come Around Here No More

Runnin' Down A Dream

You Wreck Me

Mystic Eyes

American Girl

Bonus Soundtrack CD

Disc 4:

Breakdown

Anything That's Rock and Roll

Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)

American Girl

Shadow of A Doubt (A Complex Kid)

Stories We Could Tell

Keeping Me Alive

Honey Bee

Lost Highway

Where was the first part of your post quoted from?

This set is one I've been waiting for. The dvd portion, anyway. I intend to buy it.

This quote is incorrect:

>>>"followed by the famous scrap when MCA tried to use him to up the price of CD's to $9.98)"

CDs didn't exist when that "famous scrap" took place.

The 2 DVDs are really good. It took several nights to get through it all, but I really liked the whole thing.... other than all of the hair dye... why do musicians feel they need to have jet black hair when they are as old as they are? Petty dyed his hair too... I find it disturbing.

But the music and interviews are fantastic.

Loved the dvd documentary.......I agree with the statement that they are the best american rock and roll band..........always loved TP and the Heartbreakers..........highlight to me was when he and Stevie Nicks sang Insider on the live dvd.........that was out of this world..........

The 2 DVDs are really good. It took several nights to get through it all, but I really liked the whole thing.... other than all of the hair dye... why do musicians feel they need to have jet black hair when they are as old as they are? Petty dyed his hair too... I find it disturbing.

But the music and interviews are fantastic.

tweedy dyes his hair. cheesy.

Saw this on Sundance last night. Highly recommended. If not only for footage of the Traveling Wilbury's in the studio.

someone already said this, but it'll be on again this Saturday at 2pm ET on Sundance Channel

all of the wilbury's footage comes from this DVD, which is totally amazing:

http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Wilburys-C...0164&sr=8-1