First Coppola film in a decade premieres

First Coppola film in a decade premieres

By MARTA FALCONI, Associated Press Writer Sat Oct 20, 5:57 PM ET

ROME - It is Francis Ford Coppola's first movie in a decade, and the Oscar-winning director said Saturday that audiences should

"Youth Without Youth" is Coppola's first movie since "The Rainmaker" in 1997. It was having its public premiere Saturday evening at the Rome Film Festival.

At an earlier screening for the press, reactions were mixed, and Coppola asked people to see it more than once.

"When you venture into new territories ... you know that it's different than 'Spider-Man' or 'Shrek' or other films that are immediately met with success. So, part of being an artist who wants to look at new areas (is knowing that) it will take a while for people to be familiar with the film," he said. "I only ask you to think that my film was interesting."

"Youth Without Youth" tells a metaphysical story about a 70-year-old Romanian professor of linguistics (played by Tim Roth) who miraculously becomes younger after being struck by lightning. The accident gives him abnormal intellectual abilities which attract the attention of the Nazis as World War II looms. Turned into a fugitive, he is also tormented by dreams of his lost love.

The film, shot in Romania, is adapted from a novella by the Romanian philosopher-author Mircea Eliade.

In other comments, Coppola sought to play down critical remarks he was quoted making about Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Jack Nicholson in a recent magazine interview.

In the November issue of GQ magazine, Coppola was quoted as saying that the three Oscar-winning actors have become apathetic and lost their passion for taking on good roles.

He also called De Niro "wealthy and powerful"

Sometimes I wonder if the Godfather series was less the genius of Coppola and more the genius of a script, an ensemble and editing. This was encouraged by reading "The Kid Stays in the Picture" by producer Robert Evans. Nonetheless a gutsy philosophical picture is usually worth a shot. I'll probably see it when it comes to the states.

Sometimes I wonder if the Godfather series was less the genius of Coppola and more the genius of a script, an ensemble and editing. This was encouraged by reading "The Kid Stays in the Picture" by producer Robert Evans. Nonetheless a gutsy philosophical picture is usually worth a shot. I'll probably see it when it comes to the states.

I don't know the full details, but I've read Evans and Coppola had a huge falling out during the filming of "The Cotton Club" and that they are sworn enemies. Thus, Evans might have an agenda. I don't know, I'm just a bit of skeptical of his claims. Coppola has never again matched the first two "Godfather" films, but, really, how could he? If anyone doubts Coppola's talent, I would suggest they view "The Conversation." He wrote and directed this between the "Godfather" and "Godfather Part 2" and it's perfect. Also, "Apocalypse Now." Yeah, it is flawed, but I love its ambition and I never tire of watching it. After "Apocalypse," I can't really recommend anything he did. I think he was in financial trouble in the 80's and, as a result, was driven more by financial need than by artistic vision. In the 1990's, I think he came to care more about producing wines than films. Anyway, his four near great to perfect films from the 1970's will always keep me interested in what he is doing. When I get the chance, I'll definitely check this new one out.

I have no more interest in what a director says than what an actor says - his skill is film direction and he'll always attract my interest due to what he's made before - and this film looks like he challenged himself to try it. Curious to see the results.