• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like those two cover images - i'm guessing Bamboo is fan made?

i would really just like to hear the albums - hopefully Rhino or someone will get ahold of all of it.

Yes - and it was to be his second solo album - never came out.

Bamboo

• 2 months later...
Wilson's 'Ocean' Set For Expanded Reissue

Dennis Wilson

January 24, 2008, 10:25 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Late Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson's cult classic 1977 solo album, "Pacific Ocean Blue," will be released May 13 in an expanded edition by Caribou/Epic/Legacy. The project has been out of print for more than 15 years due to copyright disputes.

Billboard.com has learned that "Pacific Ocean Blue" will be available in a two-CD edition as well as a vinyl version via Sundazed. Disc one of the reissue will include the original 12-track album plus previously unreleased bonus songs which are still being sorted through by label archivists.

Hardcore fans will be delighted with the contents of the second disc, which will make available for the first time songs intended for "Bambu," Wilson's never-released follow-up to "Pacific Ocean Blue."

Liner notes for the album are being penned by Beach Boys scholars such as David Leaf, Jon Stebbins, Ben Edmonds and David Beard, and the package will feature photographs by Wilson's close friend, Jan & Dean's Dean Torrence.

"Pacific Ocean Blue" was the first solo album from a Beach Boys member, and featured Wilson in songwriting collaborations with his brother Carl as well as Beach Boys frontman Mike Love.

The unreleased tracks on the new edition were mixed by Wilson's original engineer, John Hanlon, with "Pacific Ocean Blue" co-writer/producer Gregg Jakobson and Caribou Records owner Jim Guercio.

Pardon my french, but: FUCKING BRILLIANT! :dancing

Speaking of re-issues - I found out a while back that all the Faces albums have been re-released with bonus tracks in the UK - but not here yet. I have not posted anything about it - as I am waiting on Rhino to put them out here.

It is very odd - there is no mention of it on Mac's site and the Faces message board is no longer up. I found them on amazon.uk - I just happened to be digging around there one day and found them.

Speaking of re-issues - I found out a while back that all the Faces albums have been re-released with bonus tracks in the UK - but not here yet. I have not posted anything about it - as I am waiting on Rhino to put them out here.

It is very odd - there is no mention of it on Mac's site and the Faces message board is no longer up. I found them on amazon.uk - I just happened to be digging around there one day and found them.

yeah, i saw them too. i haven't ordered them yet though (they're out in march, i think). in todays world, though, it's very easy to get import cds, so i don't think you'll have to wait for american releases if you want them - they won't cost that much to get them posted from the uk to the us. they're only

I'm getting off topic but I'll be real interested for that to happen.

I just got Pacific Ocean Blue today and it is pretty incredible. River Song and Rainbows are my two favorites after just the first listen through, but I can already tell that it's gonna be one of those albums that I will always listen to, ya know?

Lady

On December 4, 1970 Dennis Wilson & Rumbo (Daryl Dragon) released the single "Sound Of Free" (D. Wilson/M. Love) b/w "Lady" (D. Wilson) in Europe. This was Dennis' first solo release.

"Lady" (also known as "Fallin' In Love") was part of an early version of the Beach Boys' SUNFLOWER album, rejected by the record company.

Released again in 1972 by the girl-group (American) Spring (Diane Rovell & Marilyn Wilson).

• 4 months later...
20 bucks at amazon.com

I don't know if I will buy this or not. I am not all that keen on BB solo ventures. The only solo album I have is Brian Wilson - Live at the Roxy Theatre.

i wonder if that is an opening week sale only.

i'm in no rush to get it, but i'd like it eventually and that would be $10 less.

you also have to factor in shipping costs though.

oh wait, amazon is out of stock!

if you wait you might find that the same thing will happen that happened to those Moby Grape reissues - they sell out quick and then due to legal disputes they do not make any more, so then they go up massively in price. probably won't happen, but you never know.

$30 sounds too much to me, but the proper album is fantastic, and the second disc has some really great songs on it too. basically it's better than most "new" albums out at the moment - and equally as modern sounding (in fact more so, in most cases). if you listen to the "noise" track on "farewell my friend" for example - it could have come off YHF and it was made nearly 30 years before it.

the only bad thing on the cd's is that they included a version of Taylor Hawkins (the drummer from The Foo Fighters) singing an outtake called Holy Man at the end of disc 2, but it's easy to press stop before that comes on. it's not utterly terrible, but it's not really needed.

included a version of Taylor Hawkins (the drummer from The Foo Fighters) singing an outtake called Holy Man at the end of disc 2

Who in the hell came up with that idea I wonder. This reminds me of how Gene had Eric C. and now, Eric S. sing Beth. The reason he was singing on the 72/73 tour was due to the fact he tore up his hand and could not play the drums.

The Beach Boys - Singles Box (don't buy this - they used the 1990 re-mastered versions of some of the songs - which sound terrible.)

Maybe you can find it at a Best Buy or some place like that - I have had good luck there with new releases.

best buy is 27.99.

i guess if you look at it like this - they could easily sell just the Pacific album at normal cd price and they could have made a seperate compilation for the other stuff, but this way you get both, plus it looks like really nice packaging.

of course, i'd much rather pay 20 for it.

41MCMsIIubL._SS400_.jpg

amazon has a 7 min video on the album page.