Jason Isbell Tour Dates

I haven't seen any Will Hoge sets turning out but I'm not too religious about visiting the site. I was going to pull down the Chicago show but I haven't done the torrent thing in so long that it didn't seem worth it.

At any rate, for my money, Jason is going on the list of performers that I am going to check out everytime he pours through Chicago. Smaller venues than the Truckers and just an outstanding performance. With all of the touring he's doing, I'm a little concerned about when the next album will surface. :dancing

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, the Truckers are going to be playing the same place in March, although I don't think they'll have trouble filling it up. I thought it was pretty crappy that they had a poster for the DBT show outside Jason's dressing room. So I pulled it down and took it home. :)

Oh, and the album is coming, and he says it's gonna be a rocker :dancing

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...19&srvc=rss

And just to point out what someone on ninebullets.org says:

“I’m not interested in working with them and I don’t think they’re interested in working with me, so it’s just not something either one of us want to revisit,” he said with a cool, Southern drawl.

But the split was amicable and mutual. Cue up photo of Jason with middle finger extended, holding up Sirens poster.

Cruising around on ninebullets.org I found out that in mid January Jason's van was broken into in Sacramento and a bunch of equipment was stolen including the entire drum kit. The drummer got so upset that he quit the band and Dave Bryson from Son Volt is drumming now. I didn't realize that was him last night!

Oddly enough, the Truckers are going to be playing the same place in March, although I don't think they'll have trouble filling it up. I thought it was pretty crappy that they had a poster for the DBT show outside Jason's dressing room. So I pulled it down and took it home. :)

Oh, and the album is coming, and he says it's gonna be a rocker :dancing

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...19&srvc=rss

And just to point out what someone on ninebullets.org says:

But the split was amicable and mutual. Cue up photo of Jason with middle finger extended, holding up Sirens poster.

What asshole posted that? ;)

:lol

I loved the sentiment steeped in that picture enough to make it my avatar!

Peel:

I just saw Isbell back in October and was considering passing this weekends show up;(impending nasty weather coming our way and all....).

Guess now I'll have to slide into town. You've got my interests piqued again w/ Bryson . Nice Job.

:dancing

Well. . . . That's me you quoted over on NineBullets and one of the moderators has infered I'm jumping to conclusions. :headbonk

:lol Whatever. Along with that picture he posted a pretty clear message on MySpace right after it happened and then pulled it off shortly after and replaced it with the "amicable split" explanation, so there has never been any doubt in my mind that someone from the DBT front asked him to change his tune for the benefit of everyone involved.

I agree that the split wasn't totally amicable but I don't believe that DBT is trying to have Jason "spin" the story for their sake. I think they just helped him to understand that it was in nobody's best interest to piss on one another. I think Jason reacted emotionally at first (as most would) but eventually figured out that DBT essentially made him what he is.

I agree that the split wasn't totally amicable but I don't believe that DBT is trying to have Jason "spin" the story for their sake. I think they just helped him to understand that it was in nobody's best interest to piss on one another.

That's pretty much what I said. :)

"Spin" isn't the word I would use either. But I think they "encouraged" him to rethink his public display of disbelief and anger. In any case, it obviously wasn't a mutual split and he was blindsided.

That's pretty much what I said. :)

I'm glad that I could sway you. ;) I actually knew that we were on the same page for the most part. I just thought that you were thinking he was strong armed into changing his mind. After re-reading your post, I'm not quite sure why I thought that.

At any rate, we'll now have two bands to see where there once was one.

I'm glad that I could sway you. ;) I actually knew that we were on the same page for the most part. I just thought that you were thinking he was strong armed into changing his mind. After re-reading your post, I'm not quite sure why I thought that.

At any rate, we'll now have two bands to see where there once was one.

:hug

I'm still mad at the Truckers for letting him go but of course I won't miss them when they're coming so close to home. :D

Well, I'm still not sold on BTCD, and we were going to get Sirens anyway since it had been in the can for a long time before the split, so I'm still mad. :lol

I love BTCD. I'd rank it as my 3rd favorite Truckers album behind Deco Day and SRO. Sirens was on the shelf for a while as New West didn't want it to be released the same year as a DBT album. Patterson's 2nd solo album has been on the shelf as well for similar reasons. Due to shit like this, DBT has left New West.

I'm with you on that - listened to BTCD recently and it bored me, was really disappointed with it.

That's how I feel too. I think once I see the songs played live I might have a different take on the record, but for now, it doesn't do much for me.

That's how I feel too. I think once I see the songs played live I might have a different take on the record, but for now, it doesn't do much for me.

Ditto. And yeah Live would probably do it for me as well.

I also had the same reaction to Sirens. ie, a solo live version of say something like 'Outfit' turns my crank over anything that resembles Layla or Freebird or a Lucero/Glossary song.

But that's just me and my crank.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

the Satellite Ballroom

Charlottesville VA. 2/23/08

In the darkened moments on stage between the sets of Will Hoge's group and that of the '400 Unit' Jason Isbell mounts the stage along with crewmen to set up for his performance. From the shadows Isbell acknowledges the response of the crowd to his presence with a smile and a friendly wave and begins laying cables and carefully dragging his amplifier mounted on two simple chairs across the floor to it's appropriate place just left and in front of the trap kit. In the five times I've seen an Isbell performance this is the first time I've seen him personally work the stage before a set. On his knees, he makes last minute adjustments to his pedal board and speaks to a young girl who sits in a wheelchair just down front peering up at him from her position between two monitors. He looks tired and he's put on a noticeable amount of weight since the first time I saw him perform with the Truckers in support of his first record with that band, "Decoration Day".

During a set that covered many of his songs released with the Truckers, a few covers sprinkled throughout and an even amount of songs off his recent solo release, Isbell along with his band deliver a punchy and loose performance that lacks a certain pointed defiance I've noted in the past. If I were allowed only two adjectives two describe Isbell's demeanor at this present moment in time they would be "humility' and "happiness".

"And from Georgia, on the bass guitar, Jimbo Heart. I'll just keep saying that all night long 'cause I just love him so much" Isbell exclaims after the band runs through a lively version of the Talking Heads "Psycho Killer". It's moments like these that set the tone for the entire evening. At one point Jason backs up against guitarist Browan Lollar as they work their way through a dual lead together. Isbell looks over his right shoulder at Lollar and they meet eyes. The two exchange a warm giddy smile.There's this sense that there's something significant happening here.The sense that there's a certain amount of experience that Isbell has acquired over the last seven years on the road and now he's passing it along. Giving it openly and freely while fostering a sense of unity and watching over it protectively. This is his band and he's obviously owning and taking responsibility for the entire experience.

The accountability is paying off. All four members of the 400 Unit look and play as if they would follow this young man into a fire. Newest member Dave Bryson looks positively charged glaring across the stage while hammering on his drum kit. They sound sonically tighter and more refined since I last saw them mere months ago; ( part of this is Bryson's addition, part of it is just just comes from having been on the road playing together for so long now). Earlier performances left me feeling things were forced and as if they were trying a little to hard. That's no longer the case .

"It's nice to see this diversity in the audience tonight. Bring the kids, bring the whole family as they say" Isbell remarks between songs alluding to the presence of children there in attendance amongst the crowd. In a few moments he'll step back away from the microphone during "Danko/Manuel" tilting his head towards the ceiling allowing his voice to trail off wrapped in a wash of feedback.

In a break during the encore when Jason calls the band back onto the stage to play three more songs a clean shaven kid in a sport coat clutching a "Bud Light" in his paw drunkenly announces towards the stage: "You better play Outfit....Play Outfit ?". Isbell smiles and turns towards his amp to light a cigarette. "Ok hold on there a minute buddy. Here it comes".

2289919150_50540a8f9b.jpg