Eight dead in Omaha mall shooting

Yeah, I just got off the phone with my dad a little while ago to make sure he didn't take Grandma to that mall today. They were fine; don't usually go there.

I've never lived in NE, but I've spent a fair amount of time there, especially out in western Neb. Kinda scary. At the high school out there every truck (no cars out there) had a gun rack in the back window with a loaded weapon of some sort. Omaha isn't exactly a backwater ranching town, but they do seem to like to wear their lack of sophistication as a badge of honor. I can totally see where a kid out there who doesn't conform to the norm would be ostracized to the point of snapping. It would be preferable though if snapping consisted of slamming his bedroom door shut and cranking up Bright Eyes on the iPod. It's too bad that kids see this as an option, and that the resources to pull it off are so readily available. From what I've heard he wanted to go out in style - how they know that, I don't know, but where have we gotten to that this constitutes style?

It's too bad that kids see this as an option, and that the resources to pull it off are so readily available. From what I've heard he wanted to go out in style - how they know that, I don't know, but where have we gotten to that this constitutes style?

An option would have been to do himself only.

Apparently they got the "style" comment from a suicide note.

Very sad. I was down in suburban Atlanta over the weekend and went to the mall where they had a shooting last week. Seems like a lot of people loose their shit this time of year and things like this go down. Just a God awful thing to happen to all the families involved. :ohwell