A little Via Chicago input

Well for my english class we have to write a comparative essay comparing two novels. I am having a little bit of trouble deciding what two books I should compare and what are some themes I should use. I am huge Vonnegut fan and I was initially thinking in comparing Slaughterhouse Five to Breakfast Of Champions on the topic of free will but have now gone to comparing Slaughterhouse to A Clockwork Orange instead on the topic of free will (we've read A Clockwork Orange in class and this saves some reading time). Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

vonnegut has such a distinct style (and has been my favorite writer since about 1991)

were you given any guidelines (length of essay, how many different items you are to compare, etc.)?

I'm a big fan of A Clockwork Orange and have read it several times, but am a bit unsure of what kind of input you're seeking. Alex, of course, finally attains free will by novel's end but did not have it until he was 'reformed."

Maybe input isn't the word I'm looking for. I'm just looking for any suggestions on any similarities or differences in themes, writing style etc. that I haven't thought of yet or to get me gong in the right direction.

It would seem to me that Clockwork advances the theory that free will not only exists, but is key to morality, while Slaughterhouse, where the Tralfamadorians establish that everything is preordained, up to the destruction of the universe during a flying saucer fuel experiment, posits that there's no such thing as free will.

It would seem to me that Clockwork advances the theory that free will not only exists, but is key to morality, while Slaughterhouse, where the Tralfamadorians establish that everything is preordained, up to the destruction of the universe during a flying saucer fuel experiment, posits that there's no such thing as free will.

That's not 1800 words.

That's not 1800 words.

Yeah, well, if he wants the rest, I want some tandoori f Doritos.

• 3 months later...
Well, the numbers are different, for one thing.

Yeah. The math throws everything off. The best I can do is a contrast between Billy Pilgrim's total surrender to his non-free-will situation, while Yossarian combats his, with limited success.

Personally, I'd avoid comparing two novels by the same author, but that's just me.

I might make an exception if it were a case of an early-career novel vs. a late-career novel that clearly shows a progression in the author's philosophy, writing style, etc.

Personally, I'd avoid comparing two novels by the same author, but that's just me.

I might make an exception if it were a case of an early-career novel vs. a late-career novel that clearly shows a progression in the author's philosophy, writing style, etc.

Heller and Vonnegut are the same people!?!?! :stunned

Heller and Vonnegut are the same people!?!?!

Never mind me. I was responding to the first post of the thread, not noticing that A) it was from last year, and B) later in that post the initial idea of comparing two Vonnegut books was discarded.

So, I'm an idiot.

Slaughterhouse Five and Catch-22 could work quite nicely, except that I imagine most profs have read multiple papers comparing those two books over the years.

Sory to bring up an old thread, I'm doing the exact same thing! Slaughterhouse-Five and Catch-22, for me though.

That was going to be my exact suggestion. Damn.

Or, maybe if that's been overdone, you could compare:

The Autobiography Of Malcolm X

and

The Autobiography Of Fredrick Douglas: An American Slave