Hannah Montana and her fans are pissed too

Remember when Denise wanted to stand in line all night for tickets to see some band, but Dr. Huxtable wouldn't let her, so her friends just came back to her place and they moved furniture and had a breakdancing contest?

I remember going to Sears of all places to get tickets for Duran Duran in 1987.

The Daytons girl worked at Sears too. She really did get around.

In 1989 I got through on the phone three times and had four tickets to all three World Series games at Wrigley.

:brow

I tried for playoff tickets that year with a redial function and no dice.

I feel pretty blessed that most of my favorite bands couldn't sell out a telephone booth when I cared about seeing them live.

I'm right there with ya. The only draw back is I have to travel half way around the world to see somebody I like because nobody I like plays anywhere around where I live.

Of course it isn't. There now exists a quicker, more efficient and accommodating way of buying tickets that wasn't around before about 1995. Frankly, I'll put up with the prospect of quicker sold-out shows and tickets on the secondary market to be able to log on to TM from the comforts of my own place instead of standing in line for 10 hours in 20-degree temperatures.

I may be dating myself with this story but back in the day before ticketmaster ruled the earth. For the best seats i had an hour and a half drive to Dallas from my home town to the main Rainbow ticket outlet at SMU.

One day tickets for two shows; AC/DC and Queen went on sale the same day. :rock

I got there at about 3pm for tickets that were slated to go on sale at 9 the next morning. It was odd back then for tickets for two concerts go on sale at the same time on the same day. But sense i wanted to see both bands it was good for me. i didn't have to make two trips in to the city.

What i didn't know was Dallas; SMU in particular, had a no loitering law. Most show's i camped out for were in Ft.Worth which was only about 45 minutes away and the police never bothered us when we lined up and camped out over night.

But i had always heard the front row tickets for all shows were always kept at the main ticket outlet in Dallas.

After talking to the staff inside to confirm ticket sales, they told me i could line up after business hours. so i waited in my car for 5pm to roll around. Once they closed, myself and a group fans got our overnight gear and settled in for the wait. As the day turned to night more and more fans of both bands started gathering in line, we were all civil and started developing the camaraderie that goes along with the wait.

That's the main thing missing from my ticket buying experience now with computers. :(

At about 11 pm there were probably no more than 50 people lined up when the Dallas PD showed up and busted up the line telling us about the no loitering law. As the night progressed others started arriving, unaware of the law. Only to have the police return and disassemble the line again.

Finally about 4 am hoping the Police would not return we tried to line up once again, because close to 200 people were gathering in and around the parking lot.

But they did return a short time later and broke up the line once agian and this time they had a plan because of the number of people that were already there for tickets. Their plan was for us to wait one block down from the ticket office while they guarded the ticket venues lot. We were told at 6am they would blow a whistle and we were to run to get our spot in line. :no

This would not have been so bad if it were only fans waiting. But the scalpers back then paid the homeless to get tickets for them. Rainbow tickets had a 4 floor 6 balcony policy, and the better seats they scored for the scalper the more they were paid.

At 6am the police did exactly what they said. A whistle was blown and a stampede to the front of the line was on. I was a pretty fast runner back in high school so i made out pretty well and was about 5th in line, but a few people that had been there most of the night got fucked out of the best seats. I ended up scoring 3 row center AC/DC and 1st row center Queen.

If any of us had tripped in the stampede someone very well could have ended up in the hospital. Thank God no one got hurt. The sad thing is this all happened in the Fall of 1981 less than three years after the Cincinnati Who tragedy. I guess the Dallas PD forgot about that event? ;)

Camping out for tickets is a young mans game. I'm glad for computers. I just wish they would only let people buy tickets from thier own state on the first day of ticket sales. That at least would keep out of state scalpers away.

Most bands have fan networks like via chicago that could hook up out of state fans that wanted tickets without the scalp.