The official A-man "oh no, not another headphone thread"

So I'm in the market for a new set of headphones and was checking out those Bose noise canceling ones. I know Bose has their detractors around here, so I was hoping to find something of equal quality for significantly less money. Those things are just way too pricey. Also, they make two styles; one over the ears, and another on the ears. Is there a difference in the fidelity between the two or is it merely a comfort issue?

Maybe A-man will be a peach and link up the past discussions and everything can be in one place for a brief shining moment in VC time.

For travel with my iPod, I use the Sennheiser PX200 - they are fold up to fit in a small case and have noise canceling. I have used the Bose noise canceling headphones (courtesy of the airline I was flying at the time) and they are nice, but too pricey since I've been known to lose headphones while traveling.

Sennheiser PX200

For use at home (ie, no chance of losing them), I prefer Grado headphones. Expensive, but worth it for the sound quality.

Grado Labs Headphones

So, I would suggest that you buy headphones that suit your needs - travel, noise-canceling, or reference headphones - and your price range.

For travel with my iPod, I use the Sennheiser PX200 - they are fold up to fit in a small case and have noise canceling. I have used the Bose noise canceling headphones (courtesy of the airline I was flying at the time) and they are nice, but too pricey since I've been known to lose headphones while traveling.

Sennheiser PX200

I have the PX100s, which at least this guy seems to prefer to the 200s and 250s. I cant vouch b/c I havent tried the other 2, but I can say the 100s are an incredible product for the price (although not noise canceling).

I have the PX100s, which at least this guy seems to prefer to the 200s and 250s. I cant vouch b/c I havent tried the other 2, but I can say the 100s are an incredible product for the price (although not noise canceling).

That guy is wrong. Under his recommendation (or some similar one) I bought the PX100s. Big mistake. They felt cheap, and didn't sound all that great. I returned them, got the PX200s, and have been more than happy with them.

• 10 months later...
So I'm in the market for a new set of headphones and was checking out those Bose noise canceling ones. I know Bose has their detractors around here, so I was hoping to find something of equal quality for significantly less money. Those things are just way too pricey. Also, they make two styles; one over the ears, and another on the ears. Is there a difference in the fidelity between the two or is it merely a comfort issue?

Maybe A-man will be a peach and link up the past discussions and everything can be in one place for a brief shining moment in VC time.

Maybe someone could be a dear and bump the mass of headphone threads that have graced these pages? I have a set of schure 310s and while

I really like the sound, I frequently use the apple crapbuds because they're so much simpler to get in my my ears. Spawn has bose quiet comfort 2s (why does a 10 year old have bose headphones is indeed a valid and interesting question). I'm enjoying the ease of use, deep bass, and geekiness of them. While I know Solace and others are fans of the open ear types, I like to use my headphones when out and about shopping or on the plane, and other public spaces so I wouldn't want to be too obtrusive. Anyway, suggestions here or someone who can actually drive the search so the board elders don't look at me like :nono would be much appreciated.

groundhogday.jpg