The Death of High Fidelity

this really concerns me! so even though i rip discs into itunes at say 320, it gets compressed as it is synced to the ipod? utterly ridiculous if true. please, tell me more and how to access any changes.

craig :dontgetit

No. You can have it compress things if you want - IIRC, a dialog box asks you if you want to or not when you first go to put stuff on the iPod - but it is not mandatory.

I'll bring my stuff and we can hold up in your basement.
:lol That's the way I feel half the time.

I loved reading this article on Shelby Lynne this morning.....at 39 she appears to be "discovering" older music. Not sure where she has been all these years, but at least she is trying hard.....and maybe this Dusty Springfield album will be pretty good. They connect Billy Sherril to Tammy Wynette, but frankly he was connected to every Nashville artist back in the day. Some days I am not sure that is legacy is something to brag about....

LouieB

Thought this might be a good place to ask,

Is it me or does Jeff's voice have some distortion a couple of times on the song SBS?

it's very sibilant, with harsh "S" sounds but he's like that a lot. it does sound a little more pronounced on SBS i'll agree. i've read some complaints that SBS is too compressed, i don't hear it myself but i guess it may be a little more compressed than Ghost.

Is Guibert getting ready to reissue/remaster grace again? :P

Taken from the article:

In 2004, Jeff Buckley's mom, Mary Guibert, listened to the original three-quarter-inch tape of her son's recordings as she was preparing the tenth-anniversary reissue of Grace. "We were hearing instruments you've never heard on that album, like finger cymbals and the sound of viola strings being plucked," she remembers. "It blew me away because it was exactly what he heard in the studio."

To Guibert's disappointment, the remastered 2004 version failed to capture these details. So last year, when Guibert assembled the best-of collection So Real: Songs From Jeff Buckley, she insisted on an independent A&R consultant to oversee the reissue process and a mastering engineer who would reproduce the sound Buckley made in the studio. "You can hear the distinct instruments and the sound of the room," she says of the new release. "Compression smudges things together."

Before this is over Grace will be the most reissued album of all time.......not bad for a recording artist who had exactly one studio album during his lifetime...

LouieB

And Elvis Costello is releasing some of his again - I think this is the 4th Time Around?

it's very sibilant, with harsh "S" sounds but he's like that a lot. it does sound a little more pronounced on SBS i'll agree. i've read some complaints that SBS is too compressed, i don't hear it myself but i guess it may be a little more compressed than Ghost.

I don't find SBS to be one of the better sounding Wilco albums. I have it on mp3, cd, and vinyl. The fact that the mp3's sound nearly as good as the vinyl suggests there is a fair bit of compression in the mastering.

OTOH, I do take Tweedy's word at face value, that many tracks were taken "live" at the Loft. With any rock recording this is an extremely hard trick to pull off, as far as achieving great sonics.

At least Elvis is still a going concern... but I catch your drift...

LouieB

I don't see how he can justify the re-re-re-re-releases. How many different bonus outtakes does the dude have left? He must be scraping the barrel by this point. I feel bad for his dedicated fan base who must go out and keep buying them over and over again. When I was talking to Mountain Bed the other night, I mentioned that I have now bought Truth/Beck-ola four times.

Have they added that much to the Truth/Beckola reissues. I have the double LP reissue from many years back I think...hell I can't even remember..... :lol

LouieB

I had the cassette since the 1980s, then the original cd release, then the first re-masters (no extras), and now, another re-master with several bonus tracks and some great liner notes/photos.