Am I the only one here who is slightly disturbed by the fact of an hour of Doors music going for 20 bucks retail? Especially when you read the article Hippo posted - they've dubbed in missing parts from other shows?

Don't get me wrong - I love the Doors but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

The deal on this, as well as, all the other shows that have been put out over the last several years, is as HH stated above. They were taped during the shows that when into making up The Absolutely Live album. From what I have read, there are hundreds of edits on that album. I read somewhere once that they found these tapes while they were putting the boxset together some years back - which, in terms of unreleased stuff - is pretty awesome.

I recall when I was in high school, Alive She Cried came out - and it was a trip to read about them finding the tapes after so many years. I don't own any of the live releases - but I got the studio album boxset a while back - not the most recent one - but the 20 bit re-master box or whatever it is. I have a hard time listening to the albums as released in said box - as there are parts in songs that were not there before, as well as the mix being different. I think I began listening to them in 1979. I would think they must hold some sort of record for the number of greatest hits releases.

Recently, I have been reading Patricia Kennealy's blog- and found this site the other day - Indian Summer, which has some photos I have never seen before. One more thing - a good site for doors news: idafan.com

• 1 month later...

Analogman, you might be interested in this site: messageboard.thedoors.com

there's a few threads dedicated to rare Doors/ Morrison photos which you may like.

also, Amazon has just posted some clips from the upcoming live album, check em out! Pittsburgh '70 clips

its always a joy to get a quality soundboard show with at least one song sung by Ray Manzarek :dancing

Analogman, you might be interested in this site: messageboard.thedoors.com

there's a few threads dedicated to rare Doors/ Morrison photos which you may like.

also, Amazon has just posted some clips from the upcoming live album, check em out! Pittsburgh '70 clips

its always a joy to get a quality soundboard show with at least one song sung by Ray Manzarek :dancing

Thanks for the links - I think Ray turned 69 recently.

I used to LOVE The Doors, but now I only like them. L.A. Woman is great album.

I use to have that on 8-track back in the day. One of the things I don't have - my 8-tracks, and the nifty suitcase 8-track player I use to have that I spray painted.

I lost probably close to 100 8-tracks when my car as broken into around '81-'82. :ohwell

• 1 year later...

instead of creating a new thread, figured i'd post this info in here. looks like the legendary Felt Forum (Madison Square Garden) shows from 1/17-18/1970 are going to be released soon! here's a statement from Bruce Botnick regarding the technical side of this release, followed by the album art...

TECHNICAL NOTE ON THE DOORS LIVE IN NEW YORK (FELT FORUM) FROM BRUCE BOTNICK A long, long time ago, when nobody thought that we would ever need the 8-track tapes again, many bits and pieces were removed from these shows and were scattered through many Doors albums. Large chunks were used in Absolutely Live, An American Prayer, and Alive, She Cried. Goings-on between Jim and the audience, as well as parts of songs from the 8-track masters, have disappeared forever, though some do exist on the live 2-track tapes. Through the generous help of a few of our Doors collectors, we were able to obtain personal copies of audience recordings that helped us sort out the road map, show us what bits went where, and determine exactly what was missing.

In putting this project together, The Doors and I agreed that it was very important to have complete shows. The plan was to insert the audience and the live 2-track recordings where chunks were missing from our masters, in order to have a faithful reproduction of the concert. So, you might be rocking to “Five To One” or “Light My Fire,” and all of a sudden the sound might change into the live 2-track or an audience recording, and then back again. We tried to keep this at a minimum, but felt that going about it in this fashion would, in the end, be a more satisfying experience.

Beyond the audience recordings that have been circulating through the Doors-o-sphere, this is the first time that we have all four concerts complete.

“Where’s John Sebastian?" you might ask. When John came onstage to join The Doors for the Sunday second show encore, he was handed a microphone that was only going through The Doors’ sound system, and not plugged into the Fedco Audio Labs mobile truck. As a consequence, John’s harmonica didn’t get recorded. So, earlier in 2009, we arranged for John to join Ray Manzarek and myself at Skywalker Sound in San Rafael. John replayed his parts as closely as possible against the PA leakage from the audience tracks on the original recorded 8-track masters. We are quite happy with the result.

Some of you may think that this is sacrilege and would have preferred to have these three songs the way that they were. In order to accommodate you, these versions will be up on the Rhino website for you to download using a code that will come along with your purchase of this boxed set.

-Bruce Botnick

Ojai, CA

July 2009

image_sm.jpg

I don't care for stuff like that, but it goes on more than we know. At least they are being honest about it. I recall buying Alive, She Cried back in the day. It was quite the mysterious release.

"moonlight Drive" is perhaps one of the greatest rock songs ever......

The Philadelphia 1970 release was pretty good.

and the song "love me two times" takes on a whole new meanining when you throw "St. James Infimary" in to it....

-Robert

• 2 weeks later...

John Sebastian joined The Doors onstage? How could the band be sure they didn't end up with him instead of Ray Manzarek after the show?

John often played harmonica with various bands around that time period. That is him playing harmonica on Roadhouse Blues (under the name G. Puglese).

John often played harmonica with various bands around that time period. That is him playing harmonica on Roadhouse Blues (under the name G. Puglese).

I was hoping for a 'not bad.'

That is cool about Roadhouse Blues - never knew that. He blows the shit outta that thing on that. Probably my favorite Doors track.

• 2 months later...

Felt Forum is out today! FedEx just dropped my copy off 15 mins. ago and now I'm rocking out to Ship of Fools from the 17th early show. in all seriousness, I'm 100% positive that this set will be the go-to Doors live recording from here on out for casual to hardcore fans. the sound is brilliant and the band is really on their game.

"That's New York for ya. The only people who rush the stage are the guys." :shifty

Is that the 6 CD set?

yup!

most of the songs on Absolutely Live and Alive She Cried were taken from these 4 shows if that's any indication of how awesome this set is!

find it strange that the set's booklet makes no mention of Dallas Taylor. he joined the band on stage for "Goin' to New York."

I think I remember reading that some musicians (bass players?) did not want their names on the credit's because they did not want their name associated with the Doors. Am I right about this?

I am sure this is not the case with Dallas Taylor and this new release.

I think I remember reading that some musicians (bass players?) did not want their names on the credit's because they did not want their name associated with the Doors. Am I right about this?

I am sure this is not the case with Dallas Taylor and this new release.

I heard this rumor for the first time a day or 2 ago. I've always thought their full names couldn't be listed on records due to contracts, etc. kinda like how Eric Clapton went nameless on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. John Sebastian's name on Morrison Hotel was G. Puglese. however, Jerry Scheff's legit name was used on the L.A. Woman album and he was Elvis' bass player! so who knows?