Richard Swift records at Wilco's loft

I interviewed Richard Swift a few weeks ago and thought this might be of interest to some of you guys:

We’ve read that during your recent US tour with Wilco, Jeff Tweedy invited you to do some recording at their Loft studios in Chicago. How did those sessions go?

Amazing. I don’t think there’s a musician living that i respect more than Jeff… he’s been incredibly encouraging to me… the entire Wilco camp has been. I recorded about 7 songs there, most of which should end up on my next “proper” record. And some of the Wilco boys made guest appearances. I may be going back this month to record a bit more.

you can read the interview in full here

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I had no idea there was a Ryan Adams connection as well!

http://www.secretlycanadian.com/onesheet.php?cat=SC183

RICHARD SWIFT

The Atlantic Ocean CD / LP (SC183, released: 04/07/09)

The Atlantic Ocean is the fourth release from American singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Richard Swift. Celebrated for his lo-fi, experimental m

I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt when I say that he must have been having an off night when he opened for Wilco in Berkeley, summer '07. Too bad because I was looking forward to him, he was a little snarky too. I will give this a listen though.

I'm going to give him the benefit of doubt when I say that he must have been having an off night when he opened for Wilco in Berkeley, summer '07. Too bad because I was looking forward to him, he was a little snarky too. I will give this a listen though.

how so?

i've been a fan for a long time now, but i've yet to see him in person - only via video.

Swift started recording The Atlantic Ocean in Wilco's Chicago loft on a vintage analog tape machine sold to him by Wilco's frontman Jeff Tweedy.

Anyone know what unit this was?

how so?

i've been a fan for a long time now, but i've yet to see him in person - only via video.

I was right up front and was pretty excited to see him. He was visibly distracted, I thought, and made some comments about lots of people walking around and talking. Which I kind of agreed with, but on the other hand, if you are the opener, shouldn't you kind of expect all of that and be a professional and bring on your best show regardless?

• 2 months later...

has anyone picked up the album?

it must be an indie record store only thing as i can't find it.

i'll have to order it online.

i think the whole album is still streaming at his Myspace page though.

i was very surprised by the amount of synths on several songs, so i'll have to hear it some more before i know what i think.