This guy is NUTS and I love him!

Fabricando Tom Z

Seriously, Tom Z?s something else. He is one of my all-time favorites and a total character. At 70 years old, he has more energy than I do at 37. I just heard about this documentary that came out and am wating anxiously to be able to see the damn thing.

http://www.fabricandotomze.com.br/

Any of you fans of his?

Heard of this documentary?

Have you seen it? (It already came out in Great Britain.)

There is a trailer at the site that, despite being entirely in Portugese, is extraordinarily entertaining.

Sure wish it had subtitles.

Absolutely agree.

Still entertaining. I plan on buying the DVD... presuming, of course that THAT has subtitles.

• 5 months later...

I thought that I posted about this already, but I did a search on him and was kicked out because the words were less than 3 letters long.

But, to answer your question, it's because he's amazing. And the search function sucks.

• 1 year later...

I have looked for his music based on seeing his name on many of your "favorite" or "Best of" lists but it's difficult stuff to find, at least where I usually look. I am intrigued to see this movie.

I have looked for his music based on seeing his name on many of your "favorite" or "Best of" lists but it's difficult stuff to find, at least where I usually look. I am intrigued to see this movie.

THIS is the one that I started with.

51V77YQKHSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

But then, there are also a number of others that I can recommend as well:

THIS ONE is in my top 5 of the decade.

512GASG9VWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The guy is in his 70's and still freaking people out. Like the musician version of Salvador Dali.

(Both of those are at Amazon.)

THIS is the one that I started with.

51V77YQKHSL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

But then, there are also a number of others that I can recommend as well:

THIS ONE is in my top 5 of the decade.

512GASG9VWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The guy is in his 70's and still freaking people out. Like the musician version of Salvador Dali.

(Both of those are at Amazon.)

I'd say download this: Estudando o Samba

Yeah, it's an illegal download, but it's well and truly out of print - so I don't see the problem.

I don't know as much about his music as PopTodd, I know that this album is fantastic; and whilst it was recorded in the mid to late 1970s, it actually sounds like it could have been recorded this year. His first album (Tom Ze) is also really good - sorry can't find a link online - but, i've not really heard his more recent stuff.

I'd say download this: Estudando o Samba

Yeah, it's an illegal download, but it's well and truly out of print - so I don't see the problem.

I don't know as much about his music as PopTodd, I know that this album is fantastic; and whilst it was recorded in the mid to late 1970s, it actually sounds like it could have been recorded this year. His first album (Tom Ze) is also really good - sorry can't find a link online - but, i've not really heard his more recent stuff.

Joss has it nailed on the head. The majority of that "Best Of" (compiled by David Byrne) came from that album.

That is his masterpiece; although most of the rest of his stuff is completely worthwhile.

Listen to Joss, and DL that album NOW!!!

And he also just released one more new album in his "Estuando" series last yeara:

Estuando A Bossa

41b3Yc7ljsL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Also excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

The movie just arrived today and I watched about a third of it. (I'm waiting to watch the whole thing with my wife.)

It's pretty much everything that I wanted it to be, and more. There are looks into some of the Estuando a Pagode recording sessions, and pre-tour band rehearsals. Concert footage (of course) and... it's just awesome.

Yay ME!!!

:dancing :rock :dancing :rock :dancing :rock :dancing :rock

This is a hard one to find. I did manage to find an .avi version on the net, but no subtitles unfortunately. Does yours have subs Todd?

edit: I see there's an English subtitled version available in Brazil. I just emailed a friend of mine in Rio de Janeiro who's a big movie buff to see if she has this, or has access to it.

Mine does have subtitles.

Bought it off of eBay from a vendor in Sao Paolo. New. It all seems to play as needed. However, I have not yet tried watching the special features. Those may not have subtitles.

It's available on eBay.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend in Brazil sent me the Tom Ze DVD as a late Christmas gift. Just got it today :). She also told me she's sending me this DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz8tUA-qMdk

I didn't even know it existed. As a big Caetano fan I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• 2 months later...

A friend just recommended this to me, too:

ze_tom~~~~~_dadabrasi_101b.jpg

A cool, complex look at the work of Tom Ze -- one that sometimes uses painting and scratches on the film, to create a visual sense of play that's almost as entertaining as Tom's music! The DVD mixes together concert material and a bit of documentary footage -- and titles include "O Pib Da Pib", "Ave Dor Maria", "Mulher Navio Negreiro", "Pagode Enredo Dos Tempos Do Medo", and "Poposta De Amor". In Portuguese, with English and French subtitles -- approx 47 minutes. (DVD is NTSC coded, All Region.)

And, then I found this at the same website:

ze_tomzeban_opirulito_101b.jpg

Brilliant work from the legendary Tom Ze -- every bit as creative and complex as his groundbreaking albums from the 70s! The English title of this one would be "The Lollipop Of Science" -- a bit of poetry that perfectly sums up the album's appeal -- kind of quirky, experimentally rhythmic music -- topped with Ze's oddly sweet lyrics -- not sweet in subject, but in the way he presents them with such earnestness -- allowing for lots of elliptical wordplay that makes the vocals almost as rhythmic as the instrumentation! Recording quality is quite good -- more than enough to capture the more intimate side of Tom's charms -- and titles include "Nave Maria", "Companheiro Bush", "Hein", "To", "Ogodo Ano 2000", "Roquenrol Bim Bom", "Todos Os Olhos", and "Cultura De Irara". DVD features 8 more tracks than the CD -- with subtitles in English, Spanish, and Portuguese. (DVD is All Region.)

Damn.

May have to check these out, as well.