WXRT.com: VIP contests, giveaways, experiences

Just got this email from WXRT:

Congratulations! You've won a pair of tickets to see a very intimate performance from Bob Mould live from Studio X at Martyrs' on Tuesday, February 5th! Martyrs' is located at 3855 N. Lincoln Ave in Chicago. Doors open at 5:30pm and the show begins at 6:30pm.

I met Louie and Wendy at the Steve Earle Studio X show a couple of months ago... which is how I wound up here.

Wow.

Just wow.

Good run.

I've seen him a couple of times -- both solo/acoustic -- and he is phenominal. So intense.

But it's been a few years (like, 10), so I'm pretty stoked.

how do you keep winning all of these tickets?

I don't know.

But I bought a lottery ticket this week... just because.

;)

no, i mean, seriously, how do you keep winning these tickets? are you some sort of XRT member? do you enter raffles?

I just enter online.

And yeah, I am an "XRT VIP". Basically, that just gives me the right to enter into more contestes... with better odds. So I guess that helps. A lot.

• 2 years later...

Never been a fan but I like that he recorded the new album at Sun records, at the motel room Robert Johnson recorded in, and in the country's oldest black church. Talk about some serious mood setters.

• 3 months later...

The Mellencamp show was Saturday. His band was excellent. And he put on pretty much exactly the show that you would expect him to: solid, if a bit uneven.

Opened with "The Authority Song", which was pretty much the highlight of the evening. Put a nice little country twist on "Jack and Diane". Played for about 2.5 hours straight and did not come out for an encore, which was refreshing.

The worst thing about the show was the 2 completely loaded couples behind me; spilling beer all over my back and grabbing me to hug me (nearly pulling me crashing to the floor in the process). They were nice enough people, but very very intrusively drunk.

That is all.

• 2 months later...

Now, I just got an email from Lin Brehmer (morning DJ at WXRT).

He is going to answer my question tomorrow on his Lin's Bin segment.

7:15 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. CST

LINK

If you miss the broadcast, they do put up the streaming audio at the above link.

I am going to see Drive By Truckers tomorrow afternoon for Studio X. Has anybody been to one of these shows before? Do they last long? Are they crowded?

Edit: So I went. It was a great time. DBT played at Reggies which probably holds 100-200 people. It wasn't overly crowded. Shows started pretty promptly at 2:30. They played 5 songs with some awkward banter with Nicholas Tremulous in between a few songs. I don't know their songs well enough. Patterson sang 2 including a cover, Mike sang 2 and Shonna had one. They seemed into it which was cool considering they had a gig the night before and another one in about 6 hours. Definitely want to get into more of these...

• 3 months later...

So, this morning I just won season 2 of "Spectacle: Elvis Costello With..."

Never seen the show, but it sounds freaking awesome... Elvis interviewing and jamming with a bunch of musicians.

This season:

Bruce Springsteen

Bono & The Edge

John Prine

Lyle Lovett

Levon Helm

Allen Toussaint

and others.

Cool.