Pete Seeger on Bob Edwards Weekend

My friend is friends with Pete. Good guy - the fact that the Hudson is no longer an open sewer is something he can take some of the credit for.

Thanks for the heads up Reni. Pete is one of the great voices of freedom. I hope he lives forever and a day.

He's working on living forever and a day....bless him. Listening to him with Bob Edwards was really nourishing and encouraging.

.....and listening to him this morning prompted me to accept an invite to a "Peace and Justice Song Circle" event tonight that Graham was encouraging me to go to with him.

Social anxiety be damned. :lol

• 3 months later...
He's working on living forever and a day....bless him. Listening to him with Bob Edwards was really nourishing and encouraging.

.....and listening to him this morning prompted me to accept an invite to a "Peace and Justice Song Circle" event tonight that Graham was encouraging me to go to with him.

Social anxiety be damned. :lol

I just finished watching the documentary and thought this was worth sharing to the Vietcong

But the overarching theme is his unique approach to music. For Seeger, music is a tool to bring people together, and that, as much as the singing, is the point. As we see him leaving the stage of Carnegie Hall at the end of a concert when he was 84, he says in voiceover,

I just finished watching the documentary and thought this was worth sharing to the Vietcong

But the overarching theme is his unique approach to music. For Seeger, music is a tool to bring people together, and that, as much as the singing, is the point. As we see him leaving the stage of Carnegie Hall at the end of a concert when he was 84, he says in voiceover,

i grew up on pete seeger. probably saw him 20 times. learned to harmonize as a kid going to pete seeger shows in NYC. inspirational guy. hell of a player too

thanks for the heads up!!

We had a fellow in our small town that embodied the Seeger persona, even looked a lot like him. It was truly sad to see him go. These people are dying breed. Johnny Cash, rip. I almost wish others like Dylan and Willie would croak to get it over with. I fear the future when I think of the loss of these people and others like them.

Who else protests the man? Rappers do it consistently, but their message is so common its become marginalized. Rage had its run. Bruce has some time left, that's good. Fogerty too. Neil. Eddie Vedder tries but after watching Charlie Rose w/ Sean Penn I determined he likes the smoke too much to think beyond 3 seconds. Anyone else I should seek as a beacon, cuz Toby Keith and Miley Cyrus ain't cuttin it.

See the Utah Phillips thread.

Pete has far less in common with Bruce Springsteen (despite his album of the same name)and Eddie Vedder than he did with Utah Phillips. Folksingers who believe that music CAN change the world are a dying breed, but that is just because they are dying. I saw a very good singer the other day who opened for the Bottle Rockets who sang political type songs and told stories about traveling around on the cheap (damn I forget his name), but I suppose there are some still around. They just aren't the emo musicians that's all.

LouieB