Fit and finish and general build quality are comparable to American teles. However, the MIJ electronics leave a lot to be desired: plastic-y switches, miniature pots, and anemic sounding pickups (of course, the stock American pups are kind of lame, too, just not as lame). Swap all that out, and you'll have something pretty unbeatable for the price.

But wait! The specs are typically a little different on MIJ teles as they tend to be reissues of vintage teles. In comparison to modern American (standard) teles this means vintage sized frets, narrower nut widths, slot tuners, glossy neck finish (as opposed to satin), and truss rods that adjust at the neck heel. You may or may not like this.

In regards to reissues, the MIA resissues are typically finished in period-correct-ish nitrocellulose, the MIJ versions are typically done in polyurethane or polyester. Again, whether this makes a difference is largely up to you.

Finally, because Japan has to be different, some American parts will not fit on MIJ teles. Luckily this doesn't affect electronics, but you can't put a MIA neck on an MIJ body without leaving a gap. I think that's the main one.

Finally, because Japan has to be different, some American parts will not fit on MIJ teles. Luckily this doesn't affect electronics, but you can't put a MIA neck on an MIJ body without leaving a gap. I think that's the main one.

Metric system...

And dont forget about the the MIJ/CIJ models from the 80's/90's....they are stellar and compete or exceed most usa models from the same time...as a matter of fact, after the CBS days and for a short time, ALL fenders were built in Japan as the company had to build a completely new facility in North America...

I had a '69 reissue tele thinline ('86 MIJ) and it was a real tone master...

j

Metric system...

And dont forget about the the MIJ/CIJ models from the 80's/90's....they are stellar and compete or exceed most usa models from the same time...as a matter of fact, after the CBS days and for a short time, ALL fenders were built in Japan as the company had to build a completely new facility in North America...

I had a '69 reissue tele thinline ('86 MIJ) and it was a real tone master...

j

This is an excellent point -- in the mid 80's right after CBS sold Fender, MIJ Fenders were very good guitars (and as noted, the only guitars produced by Fender for a while since the new management didn't have a US plant at first) -- arguably they were better than the ones CBS had been producing in the US prior to the sale. They did, however, often use different tone woods for the body. I don't know about MIJ Telecasters from this time period, but I know they used poplar for Strat bodies (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but it does make a difference). So, if you have a preference for alder or ash, you may want to investigate a little.

This is an excellent point -- in the mid 80's right after CBS sold Fender, MIJ Fenders were very good guitars (and as noted, the only guitars produced by Fender for a while since the new management didn't have a US plant at first) -- arguably they were better than the ones CBS had been producing in the US prior to the sale. They did, however, often use different tone woods for the body. I don't know about MIJ Telecasters from this time period, but I know they used poplar for Strat bodies (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but it does make a difference). So, if you have a preference for alder or ash, you may want to investigate a little.

Yes, this is tha case with strats in particular, and they used basswood in a few, as well as a very limited run of mustangs if i recall correctly, and the Japan factory soon after was responsible for the fine line of re-issue series instruments...i know the teles stayed true to the original: ash of the '72 thinline, mahogany for the '69 thinline, alder and ash for the '5o's teles and the '72 customs, maybe some maple capped standards...im a big fan of the skunk strip maple necks of this period, i think the first application of the vintage 'reliced' finish...

j

• 2 weeks later...

one more happy cij owner here. something has changed in the last few years and the serial numbers all now read with the crafted in japan label. mine is antigua green, which is a great rare color scheme with the matching pickguard. when i went to buy a tele i was initially interested in the highway one, but after playing an american standard, an american highway one, and the crafted in japan, the clear value for the money was the japan.

i also just put a lindy fralin blues special in the bridge and an adder plus pickup in the neck (the brad paisley set up) and the thing is so much more versatile. my favorite guitar right now, best of luck with your search