Otis Redding's third album, and his first fully realized album, presents his talent unfettered, his direction clear, and his confidence emboldened, with fully half the songs representing a reach that extended his musical grasp. More than a quarter of this album is given over to Redding's versions of songs by Sam Cooke, his idol, who had died the previous December, and all three are worth owning and hearing. Two of them, "A Change Is Gonna Come" and "Shake," are every bit as essential as any soul recordings ever made, and while they (and much of this album) have reappeared on several anthologies, it's useful to hear the songs from those sessions juxtaposed with each other, and with "Wonderful World," which is seldom compiled elsewhere.

Also featured are Redding's spellbinding renditions of "Satisfaction" (a song epitomizing the fully formed Stax/Volt sound and which Mick Jagger and Keith Richards originally wrote in tribute to and imitation of Redding's style), "My Girl," and "You Don't Miss Your Water." "Respect" and "I've Been Loving You Too Long," two originals that were to loom large in his career, are here as well; the former became vastly popular in the hands of Aretha Franklin and the latter was an instant soul classic. Among the seldom-cited jewels here is a rendition of B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby" that has the singer sharing the spotlight with Steve Cropper, his playing alternately elegant and fiery, with Wayne Jackson and Gene "Bowlegs" Miller's trumpets and Andrew Love's and Floyd Newman's saxes providing the backing. Redding's powerful, remarkable singing throughout makes Otis Blue gritty, rich, and achingly alive, and an essential listening experience. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

Rhino has announced an expanded, remastered edition of Otis Redding's 1966 album Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul. Due out on April 22, the double disc set includes a mono version of the record on the first CD and a stereo version on the second, both of which are backed by B-sides, live tracks and previously unreleased alternate mixes.

As for Otis Blue's importance in the scheme of Redding's catalogue, it was recorded in 24 hours by the Stax house band (featuring Isaac Hayes, Booker T. & the MG's, and more) and includes a pre-Aretha version of "Respect" as well as a hefty stack of covers. Among them are renditions of songs from the Rolling Stones, Sam Cooke, the Temptations, and Solomon Burke.

Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul (Collector's Edition)

Disc 1

1. Ole Man Trouble

2. Respect

3. Change Gonna Come

4. Down in the Valley

5. I've Been Loving You Too Long

6. Shake

7. My Girl

8. Wonderful World

9. Rock Me Baby

10. Satisfaction

11. You Don't Miss Your Water

12. I've Been Loving You Too Long (Mono Mix of Stereo Album Version) [previously unreleased bonus track]

13. I'm Depending on You [bonus track]

14. Respect (Mono Mix of Stereo Album Version) [previously unreleased bonus track]

15. Ole Man Trouble (Mono Mix of Stereo Album Version) [previously unreleased bonus track]

16. Any Ole Way [bonus track]

17. Shake (Live 1967, Stereo Mix of Single Version) [bonus track]

18. Ole Man Trouble (Live at the Whisky a Go Go) [bonus track]

19. Respect (Live at the Whisky a Go Go) [bonus track]

20. I've Been Loving You Too Long (Live at the Whisky a Go Go) [bonus track]

21. Satisfaction (Live at the Whisky a Go Go) [bonus track]

22. I'm Depending on You (Live at the Whisky a Go Go) [bonus track]

23. Any Ole Way (Live at the Whisky a Go Go) [bonus track]

Disc 2:

1. Ole Man Trouble

2. Respect

3. Change Gonna Come

4. Down in the Valley

5. I've Been Loving You Too Long

6. Shake

7. My Girl

8. Wonderful World

9. Rock Me Baby

10. Satisfaction

11. You Don't Miss Your Water

12. Respect (1967 Version) [bonus track]

13. I've Been Loving You Too Long (Live in Europe) [bonus track]

14. My Girl (Live in Europe) [bonus track]

15. Shake (Live in Europe) [bonus track]

16. Satisfaction (Live in Europe) [bonus track]

17. Respect (Live in Europe) [bonus track]

Just saw this - Great news.

Its sad (to me) that many people know nothing of the Big O besides "Dock of the Bay".

I agree, for instance...

Some doofus on You Tube commented on an Otis Redding video saying how it's a shame that nobody realizes Otis died in the same plane crash as Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, etc. :stunned

The best male singer in pop music history deserves better.

The best male singer in pop music history deserves better.

He certainly does. It also irks me that the main artifact pertaining to Otis Redding at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is the shard of his wrecked airplane where you can see his name in hand-painted script. He was so much more than that. Just listen to "I've Got Dreams to Remember", or "I've Been Loving You Too Long (to stop now)"... even his version of the Temptations' "It's Growing". You get chills every time.

He certainly does. It also irks me that the main artifact pertaining to Otis Redding at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is the shard of his wrecked airplane where you can see his name in hand-painted script. He was so much more than that. Just listen to "I've Got Dreams to Remember", or "I've Been Loving You Too Long (to stop now)"... even his version of the Temptations' "It's Growing". You get chills every time.

"These Arms Of Mine"