Drive-By Truckers at Canopy Club, Urbana, IL 2/27/08

Man, what a show! I was front and center, right in front of Patterson Hood. The band played for about two hours, and they were killing every song throughout. The songs off the new album rocked (especially Shoanna Tucker's songs) and the encore of Zip City, 18 Wheels of Love and Lookout Mountain absolutely killed.

The Felice Brothers opened and they were so good. They were like a country-punk-hillbilly version of The Band, and for only a $15 ticket, I would have paid just to see them.

Go see the Truckers on this tour, they are on fire. Jason Isbell is missed, but the rest of the band more than makes up for it.

I'm still not sold on Shonna's songs, though, but I am anxious to see them live when they pass through Texas.

I actually like the 1st one on the new CD. To me, Shonna's vocals in I'm Sorry Huston sounds *a lot* like Neko Case

I actually like the 1st one on the new CD. To me, Shonna's vocals in I'm Sorry Huston sounds *a lot* like Neko Case

That's certainly not the first time I've read or heard someone say that, but I just don't see it. Of course, this is coming from someone who thinks Neko might have the best voice of any singer over the last 20 years.

Shonna sounds like someone I would run into in a karaoke bar in southern Georgia. I don't mean to be harsh, and I love the Truckers and I think her harmony vocals are usually spot-on. But I can't get past her voice on her songs. My buddy said those songs worked a lot better in a live setting (especially I'm Sorry, Huston), so maybe I'll change my tune after getting a chance to see them.

That's certainly not the first time I've read or heard someone say that, but I just don't see it. Of course, this is coming from someone who thinks Neko might have the best voice of any singer over the last 20 years.

Shonna sounds like someone I would run into in a karaoke bar in southern Georgia. I don't mean to be harsh, and I love the Truckers and I think her harmony vocals are usually spot-on. But I can't get past her voice on her songs. My buddy said those songs worked a lot better in a live setting (especially I'm Sorry, Huston), so maybe I'll change my tune after getting a chance to see them.

Yeah, they definitely do better in a live setting. However, she isn't as confident of a singer yet as Cooley or Hood, so audience reaction was kind, in a sort of "aww ain't she cute, she's singing" kind of way.

What sets Neko apart, besides her voice and her songs, is her ability to combine ballsyness with vulnerability that make her shows not just amazing and entertaining, but also interesting. You feel you're getting something deeper than a surface performance.

That said, I'm fine to give Shonna time. Right now I think that she's more of a "change-of-pace" for the Truckers' shows, but I see lots of potential there.