In an article I read about Andrew Bird said he was a nervous flyer as well. He wrote the song "Fiery Crash" about him flying, and his superstitions. According to him and the song, they way he gets over flying is imagining the plane going down in a horrible fiery crash, thus negating that it would actually happen. It is a crazy way of doing things, but since I heard that it is the last song I listen to before I get on a plane, and yes I imaging the plane going down. But I am not a really a nervous flyer.

I also tend to watch the first a couple of episodes of Lost, and movies about airplane crashes (Donnie Darko is my favorite). I guess I have always thought to thumb my nose at fate in that way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This only works sometimes.

But, anyways...think about the worrying and what practical value it has? It has absolutely no bearing on what happens, be it landing safely, hitting bad turbulence, or even crashing.

It's not up to you and it is completely out of your hands. Regardless of your worrying, what happens is going to happen. Once you have this power over your anxieties, you realize they are pointless and render them rather silly. The only inconsistency here is some sort of confidence that is a necessary companion to being able to achieve this, and who the hell knows where that comes from.

It also helps big time to have something really great to look forward to when landing....like arriving home or visiting family or loved ones. Focus on the good stuff and why the hassles of flying are definitely worth it. If you are flying for work or for a funeral, than you are shit out of luck on this account.

> Regardless of your worrying, what happens is going to happen

i felt a tad embarrassed once when i threw up on the plane and a HOT air-hostess had to take my full paper bag away from me... you should have seen the look on her face!. thats why i overdose on motion sickness tablets nowadays. no dramas yet, since then