Andrew Bird and Dianogah, Hideout 2/28/08

As big a fan of Jay Ryan's art that I am, I had NEVER seen his band play! It's pretty unusual to have 2 basses, and drums, but it sounded great. Andrew played a handful of songs with them that were just beautiful (no vocals on most, pretty female vocals on a couple) and I guess he's going to be on their new album.

Andrew came back out alone and did a wonderful set. 2 older songs, 2 from the last album, then Nora O'Connor joined him for vocals on a couple of Handsome Family songs! Dianogah joined them on the last few songs and they really sounded amazing all together. I am still lukewarm on his last album, but that band doing Spare Oh-s was incredible! It was also the best version of Tables and Chairs I had heard in a bit and the closer, Don't Be Scared, sounded gorgeous. I really hope he works with Nora again, their voices are so complimentary.

This show was a benefit for Obama, and everyone got one of these beautiful posters:

93894.jpg

I asked about this at the Hideout the other night. Apparently all tickets were sold through the Obama campaign. It also must have sold out in a flash.

How crowded was it?

LouieB