Tickets went on sale this morning and looks there are a few left still. Am quite excited to get the chance to see Lou Reed at a venue like the 9:30 club. I saw him several years ago at Wolftrap and it was a great show. I am sure the 9:30 club will not disappoint!

Anyone else going???

It kills me that he's playing in Northampton, MA, on a work night. I considered rearranging my teaching schedule to go, but then I remembered I couldn't because I'm already rearranging it later in that week so I can go down to NYC to see the Nels Cline Singers. I've loved Lou Reed since I was 14, and he's still on that very short list of performers I love who I still haven't gotten the chance to see.

His U.S. tour dates are so sporadic these days, so you're lucky to get the chance to see him. Have a great time!

It kills me that he's playing in Northampton, MA, on a work night. I considered rearranging my teaching schedule to go, but then I remembered I couldn't because I'm already rearranging it later in that week so I can go down to NYC to see the Nels Cline Singers. I've loved Lou Reed since I was 14, and he's still on that very short list of performers I love who I still haven't gotten the chance to see.

His U.S. tour dates are so sporadic these days, so you're lucky to get the chance to see him. Have a great time!

Awww, you should go anyway! I've got 2nd row seats at The Calvin!

I really wish I could make it. It would involve driving back here after the show, though, and I'd only be willing to consider it if I could still get a good seat. Even though I've bought a fair number of tickets from NBO Tickets, I never get presale notifications like some of my friends do. Oh well. I'll get to see Nels at the end of that week, and that will make me happy. Lou Reed is apparently going to add some more U.S. dates, so hopefully it will work out that I can still see him.

I really wish I could make it. It would involve driving back here after the show, though, and I'd only be willing to consider it if I could still get a good seat. Even though I've bought a fair number of tickets from NBO Tickets, I never get presale notifications like some of my friends do. Oh well. I'll get to see Nels at the end of that week, and that will make me happy. Lou Reed is apparently going to add some more U.S. dates, so hopefully it will work out that I can still see him.

Are you signed up for the newsletter? That's how I get my presale info from. Usually if the general sale starts Friday or Saturday the presale is on Wednesday. That's how I've ended up with almost identical seats for every show at the Calvin. In fact, I've got 3 emails on their mailing list (from over the years) and I get the presale notifications on every one of them every time.

Lou Reed Keynotes, Rocks Out At SXSW

Lou Reed

March 13, 2008, 1:30 PM CT

Gary Graff and Jonathan Cohen, Austin, Texas

Lou Reed lashed out at new modes of audio technology, saying that "people have got to demand a higher standard" than current MP3s during his keynote session today (March 13) at the South By Southwest Music Festival + Conference in Austin, Texas.

Later in the day, he made a heck of a racket of his own by guesting at his own tribute concert at the invite-only Fader Fort.

Reed was interviewed by friend and acclaimed music producer Hal Wilner, who recently worked with the veteran rocker in producing the opulent "Berlin" concerts. Those are the subject of "Lou Reed's Berlin," a documentary by Academy Award-winning director Julian Schnabel that had its American premiere at SXSW.

In typically glib and dry-witted form throughout the wide-ranging 55-minute conversation, the bespectacled Reed bemoaned the current state of audio and other digital technologies, noting that "it's like the technology is taking us backwards. It's making it easier to make things worse.

"Here's our song reduced to a pindrop -- what, what, what?!" Reed explained. "It's like if no one knows any better or doesn't care, it's gonna stay on a really, really low level and people who like good sound are gonna be thought of as some kind of strange zoo animal. It's like saying it should've stayed 'the Chevy at the levy -- look down, don't look up.'"

Reed did express some hope that "you hear they've got a newer version (of MP3) that sounds better, and you suddenly hear the other instruments that are on the song. They've got to bring up the standard. You have the world open to you now; you can get almost any song in the world as an MP3, and I suppose if you like it you can go out and try to find a version you can actually listen to -- if you like good sound. If you don't like good sound, none of this matters for a second."

During the session Reed also noted that he liked young acts such as Melt Banana ("in small doses"), Holy F*ck ("Or is it Holy Sh*t?'), Dr. Dog and Jane As Policewoman. He said that he plans to stage the "Berlin" shows in Europe this summer but not in the U.S. The "Berlin" concert concept "wasn't an audition to do more of these things" with any of his other albums, though he said "Magic + Loss" and "Street Hassle" would be good candidates if he did want to try it again.

The Fader-hosted tribute featured a host of heavy-hitters, including Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore bashing out the Velvet Underground obscurity "I'm Not a Young Man Anymore" and My Morning Jacket rocking up the band's "Head Held High."

Reed materialized only for the finale, a collaboration with Moby on "Walk on the Wild Side" which shifted from drumless drone to full-on rock by its conclusion. "I love punk rock," Reed told the screaming audience. "And I was the first one."

• 4 weeks later...