I have my first official recording date set.

I'm pretty psyched.

This first song is gonna be pretty much all me; and I have another one that will be mostly me, too. But, as it goes, I'll be doing lots of different sessions in lots of different studios all over Chicago and wherever. They're also gonna cover lots of different styles.

I'm hoping to get it all done and mixed by the end of the year or early '09 for a mid-'09 release. Whatever. Still, it's been a long time since I've been excited about playing music, so this is nice. Next month I'm heading down to Champaign to recerd one of my old punk songs with a buddy's metal band backing me up. Should be cool.

But, if any of you play an instrument, please let me know, becasue I need all sorts of musicians in all sorts of styles to help me cover the bases: rockabilly, bluegrass, pop, electronica, and probably more before it's all done.

Well, back to the original topic of the post: I'm psyched.

Sounds awesome man, good luck. Wish I could help you out but the drive is a little far for me. So this is for an album? Sounds pretty broad spectrum, got a name for it yet?

Yeah, very broad spectrum. I've always listened to (and written in) a variety of styles. So, it's nothing that's been terribly contrived, but jst kind of an organic extension of what I've always been into, anyway. Just that now, without a band, I'm able to focus on each song, individually and not be constrained by the limitations of what each person in the band can do. Only my own.

And the band is Hop On Pop.

The record is going to be called, appropriately engough: MIXTAPE.

I'm pretty psyched.

This first song is gonna be pretty much all me; and I have another one that will be mostly me, too. But, as it goes, I'll be doing lots of different sessions in lots of different studios all over Chicago and wherever. They're also gonna cover lots of different styles.

I'm hoping to get it all done and mixed by the end of the year or early '09 for a mid-'09 release. Whatever. Still, it's been a long time since I've been excited about playing music, so this is nice. Next month I'm heading down to Champaign to recerd one of my old punk songs with a buddy's metal band backing me up. Should be cool.

But, if any of you play an instrument, please let me know, becasue I need all sorts of musicians in all sorts of styles to help me cover the bases: rockabilly, bluegrass, pop, electronica, and probably more before it's all done.

JawHarp.jpg

Don't laugh.

I may actually use one of those before all is said and done.

And... is that a Jewish joke?!?!?!

I'm pretty psyched.

don't do it! having other folks in the studio, especially those you don't know, can be a real disaster.

Don't laugh.

I may actually use one of those before all is said and done.

And... is that a Jewish joke?!?!?!

I actually refer to them as a Jaw Harp.

don't do it! having other folks in the studio, especially those you don't know, can be a real disaster.

I actually met my old band through an ad in the Chicago Reader and it worked out really well for about 10 years or so.

But yeah, the plan is to have mostly folks that I know... or that I'll get to know before heading into the studio.

I actually met my old band through an ad in the Chicago Reader and it worked out really well for about 10 years or so.

But yeah, the plan is to have mostly folks that I know... or that I'll get to know before heading into the studio.

sorry, i was projecting all over that post. have fun!!

Hey congrats Todd! Sounds like a lot of fun. Make the most of the opportunity, and please let us hear at least some teaser clips of what you come up with. I like the tunes you've put up here since I joined, would be interested in how you make out in the studio.

I'd be up for contributing some bluegrass / old timey guitar or banjo lines but DC and Chicago are simply "too... far apart." :D

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday is the date and, what I'm looking to every bit as much as the actual recording is gettin' some Chicken Vesuvio from Villa Palermo, just up the street!

I'm pretty psyched.

Who are you planning on recording with in Champaign? I happen to know a studio owner / Engineer who is a fantastic engineer and person in general.

Art:

I would love to collaborate, if I had the means to do so. I do not.

days:

I've never seen Once.

zkits:

My friend has his own setup and we should be able to do it there. But PM me your friend's info anyway, just in case the home-recorded stuff doesn't quite pan out.

This guy has really decent rates and an awesome studio. He teaches studio techniques at my school and is one of the greatest dudes around. Well worth contacting even if you've already gotten something set up. :thumbup

Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...

Got another date set with the same guy.

I'm rerecording this song:

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=50303

It's pretty simple (VERY simple), but the new recording is gonna sound a lot different, and yet very-much the same.

Should be fun. I'm actually having the Hop On Pop drummer play on this -- both drums and keys.

bump

Or, rather, I'd prefer not to start a new thread.

But, yeah, I guess.

You play?

You're in Chicagoland; want to play with me on something?