Happy birthday, j THDW nickerson

Have a good one, you ol' Wobbly!

Here's one of my favorite essays on Birthdays:

Tomorrow I will turn 30 years old. A significant birthday, by any metric. And, unfortunately, I have difficulties with significant birthdays.

At each one of these birthdays -- 18, 20, 21, 25 -- I've done a whole lot of moping and no small amount of soul-searching, trying to figure out what I've done, trying to figure out where I'm going. Usually I am amazed at how stupid I was at the previous significant birthday. "Gawd, I was so naive," I think. "I didn't know *shit* at that age."

30 is no different. At 25 I didn't know what I was going to do with my career. I had spent the last number of years in bad relationships, in bad situations, spending too much time trying to escape and not enough trying to change my life for the better.

Which brings us to this bout of soul searching. What have I learned in 5 years? A whole lot.

I've learned that when someone tells you you'll never suceed at something -- for whatever reason -- usually that's a good reason to try it.

I've learned its OK to be more of a tomboy than a girly-girl, that one does not have to be skinny to be happy, that being "cool" is not the be-all and end-all of one's life, and that "computer geek" is not an insult.

I've realized that money is neither health, happiness, nor peace of mind, and fame is definitely not at all that its cracked up to be.

I've learned that I don't have to be drunk to be flirtatious, to have fun, to recover from a bad day, or to say things I'm otherwise afraid to say. None of this stops me from drinking, but at least now I know a few of the bad reasons.

I've discovered that I'm a workaholic, and its easy for me to get lost in in my work, to make it my life. Fortunately I've also discovered that this isn't good for me, and I've learned to try to do things that don't involve the computer.

I've realized that I don't have to be friends with people who annoy me, and I've also realized that the importance of making friends with interesting people outside one's usual social circle.

I've found that I am capable of sustaining a relationship more than a year without sabotaging it, losing interest, having no life of my own or feeling like an emotional slave.

I have expanded my consiousness through the use of illegal or semi-illegal phramaceuticals pretty much all that I need to, although I am not averse to changing my mind. :)

When I look in the mirror I no longer see too big a nose, bad skin, freckles, pudgy cheeks, small lips. I no longer see someone I don't want to be.

But I wonder, despite all these things, that I'll look back on 30-year-old me at age 35, 40, 45, and just like I did before, go through the ritual of the significant birthday: "gawd, I was so naive. I didn't know *shit* at that age."

I hope so.

(1997)

And who can forget the great Carol Bird?

Memories have not faded through these long eventful years

and a mother's love has not lessened, with the ceasing of her tears.

Your bracelet, that I carried and slept with near my heart,

was lost very long ago, as you were from the start.

My dear little girl, you were borne with my soul's love...

you were a very precious thing, a wondrous gift from God above.

wish that I could give today, a special gift to you;

I wish that I could hold you--there's so much I'd like to do.

But, all that I can offer, on this, your Fifth Birthday, is a prayer that God will bless you,

and guide you on your way.

That the gifts of love and loving are embedded in your heart;

sincerity and compassion, with you will never part.

That you greet the world with wonder and marvel at its song,

and that God will lead you toward what you seek, and draw you from what's wrong.

I'd like so much to give to you what good there is in me;

I wish I could share with you all the beauty that I see.

The stars that shine in a deep blue sky;

the majesty of the mountains reaching high;

The sound of the waves pounding the shore;

the music of the heavens within the ocean's roar.

The perfection of a simple leaf;

the contentment found in self belief.

I wish that I could give you these--and oh, so many more

of all those precious wondrous things, from my abundant store,

But dearest one, you're not near -- you are not close this day --

and all I can offer is my prayer, "May God Guide you on your Way."

Those essays are ridiculous. Here's one that can attest to the true meaning of jdirt....son's birthday:

Raggedy Ann's 90th Birthday Day Essay Contest

Winning Essay by Michelle Carter I can remember as a young child going to my grandmother's house and playing with the many toys she had acquired over the years. There were so many to choose from, and I had free rein on all of them. All of them, that is, except the old Raggedy Ann doll that sat on the top shelf in the study. Every time I visited I would ask to play with her, and every time I was told the same thing, "Perhaps when you grow up. "How dare she think I was a baby, I'd show her!"

Getting to that doll became the number one mission in my young life. Several times I would think it was my chance and all of a sudden my grandmother would appear. But one day when I was over at her house, my grandmother fell asleep. I knew as I heard the first snore come out of her that this was my chance. So I snuck into the study, and pulled the chair up to the shelf. Even on my tip toes I could not reach. I figured I could climb up the two shelves that stood in the way. I got on the first one and put my foot onto the next. It was at that moment I realized that the shelf was not attached to the wall but was falling over with me as I held on for dear life. When grandmother heard the crash she came running and found me lying on the floor with the shelf on top of me. My mission was completed with a trip to the doctor and a cast on my arm. I thought my grandmother was going to be furious, but she wasn't. Then again, perhaps she had been but figured the broken arm was enough. Instead what she showed to me that day was care and compassion.

When we got back to her house I helped her put the shelf back in order. When she got to the doll she sat me down with her and told me that the doll was given to my aunt when she was a baby. I knew my mother had a sister who died when she was only 18 months old, but I never knew how hard it had been on my grandmother until that day. Tears came to her eyes as she told me about how sick Emily had been and how the doll had been a constant companion to her. It was then that I realized that grandmother wasn't trying to be mean by putting Raggedy Ann out of reach but instead was trying to hold on to Emily through it.

After that day, my grandmother offered to let me sit in the chair and play with the Raggedy Ann, but each time she did, I declined. I felt that Raggedy deserved to stay right where she was in her place of honor. Years later, when grandmother was sick she told my mother she could have Raggedy Ann to hold on to for me. When she passed away not long after, I knew that Raggedy Ann would never truly be mine. So I placed her in with grandmother knowing that my gesture represented a reunion between grandmother and Emily.

When we got back to her house I helped her put the shelf back in order. When she got to the doll she sat me down with her and told me that the doll was given to my aunt when she was a baby. I knew my mother had a sister who died when she was only 18 months old, but I never knew how hard it had been on my grandmother until that day. Tears came to her eyes as she told me about how sick Emily had been and how the doll had been a constant companion to her. It was then that I realized that grandmother wasn't trying to be mean by putting Raggedy Ann out of reach but instead was trying to hold on to Emily through it.

Getting to that doll became the number one mission in my young life. Several times I would think it was my chance and all of a sudden my grandmother would appear. But one day when I was over at her house, my grandmother fell asleep. I knew as I heard the first snore come out of her that this was my chance. So I snuck into the study, and pulled the chair up to the shelf. Even on my tip toes I could not reach. I figured I could climb up the two shelves that stood in the way. I got on the first one and put my foot onto the next. It was at that moment I realized that the shelf was not attached to the wall but was falling over with me as I held on for dear life. When grandmother heard the crash she came running and found me lying on the floor with the shelf on top of me. My mission was completed with a trip to the doctor and a cast on my arm. I thought my grandmother was going to be furious, but she wasn't. Then again, perhaps she had been but figured the broken arm was enough. Instead what she showed to me that day was care and compassion.

After that day, my grandmother offered to let me sit in the chair and play with the Raggedy Ann, but each time she did, I declined. I felt that Raggedy deserved to stay right where she was in her place of honor. Years later, when grandmother was sick she told my mother she could have Raggedy Ann to hold on to for me. When she passed away not long after, I knew that Raggedy Ann would never truly be mine. So I placed her in with grandmother knowing that my gesture represented a reunion between grandmother and Emily.

Michelle Carter

Bass Harbor , Maine

Enjoy your day, man - may no VWs cross your path.

:birthday :party :cheers

Happy Birthday to the distinguished gentleman from NH. You're nothing at all like Judd Gregg, are you? :lol