Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks at the Vic Theatre

Alright, I went to the show tonight, and have to say, Malkmus and his newer Jicks are pretty damn sweet. Janet Weiss was rocking hard on the drums and the band just seemed really together. Highlights for me were "It Kills" and "Gardenia" (from the new record). Malkmus is an interesting, but really good guitarist. I was third row, and it was really cool to watch him play.

John Vanderslice opened, and he won me over slowly but surely. He did his last song on the floor with acoustic instruments, and it was great for me because I was right there listening to him, but I imagine anyone farther away would not be able to hear what was going on, save for the drum.

I don't know if it's because I've been looking forward to this for so long, but I was actually a little disappointed. The band didn't really seem too into it and I was shocked at how short the show was. It never really seemed as if they got into any kind of rhythm. Pretty disappointed that they didn't play Baltimore too. 15 songs, 85 minutes, I guess I was expecting a little more.

setlist by album:

Self Titled

Jo Jo's Jacket

Pig Lib

Water and a Seat

Do Not Feed the Oyster (sweet)

Vanessa from Queens (also sweet)

Face the Truth

It Kills

Post Paint Boy

RET

Dragonfly Pie

Hopscotch Willie

Cold Son

RET

Gardenia

Elmo Delmo

We Can't Help You

Wicked Wanda

they also played some cover song that I didn't recognize, but that was pretty good.

It was short, but I think they aren't playing very long shows on this tour, for some reason. I still enjoyed it though, and maybe it's because I had never seen him before. I was expecting "Pencil Rot" and "Baby C'mon", but alas, no dice.

Edit: The cover was Mungo Jerry's "Alright, Alright, Alright."

I may had my hopes a bit high too...It was the first time seeing him play. I thought they played well and the rhythm section was very solid. But as a whole they seemed a bit disjointed, especially compared to the studio stuff, where it is, at times, disjointed, but still tight as hell.

It could have been that because it was the beginning of the tour or it may have been because it was the first show I seen since the Residency shows. But I felt a little underwhelmed, but I did still enjoy myself, regardless.

The Newport, KY show was really short too. I thought it may have been because it was Easter Sunday, but I guess not. I still really enjoyed it. Setlist looks similar, except they played Out of Reaches (awesome) and Baby Come On :^P

The Newport, KY show was really short too. I thought it may have been because it was Easter Sunday, but I guess not. I still really enjoyed it. Setlist looks similar, except they played Out of Reaches (awesome) and Baby Come On :^P

Lucky. I love Baby C'mon.

He closed with Baby C'mon in Indy and opened with it in Newport... so I guess I heard him do it twice in a row. Anyway, I agree these were fairly short shows. You get spoiled watching Wilco play for an hour and a half followed by a 7 song encore and then another song or 2. But the Malkmus shows were great. Vanderslice was pretty good too. And it was my first show at Southgate House... what a great venue.