Yessir! Dickson Street Music Fest in Fayetteville! Slim chance I'll make it but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :dancing

that would be so cool

i saw open for REM back when REM didn't suck

great double bill

love the feelies

i posted on dime once that it seemed like no feelies shows on dime included the song "Higher Ground," which I love. and i wondered why

within an hour, their drummer posted and found me a few available shows that included it

that's damn cool

• 3 months later...

The Feelies are on Sound Opinions this week.

It's the reunion Jim and Greg have been waiting for: The Feelies live in Hoboken, NJ. Tune in to hear their conversation with the art-punk pioneers, as well as a sampling of their exclusive performance recorded at the music club Maxwell's. Then Jim and Greg rate the new albums from Nas and Girl Talk.

http://www.soundopinions.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soundopinions...57605960659918/

bob.jpg

Uncle Bob! :beer

God bless GBV

I'm seeing Bob in NYC this fall, but it ain't the same.

It ain't GBV.

disarm the settlers

the new drunk drivers

have hoisted the flag

we are with you in your anger

proud brothers

do not fret

the bus will get you there yet

to carry us to the lake

the club is open

the club is open

come on, come on, the club is open

come on, come on, the club is o-ooo-ooo-pen

yeah, yeah ... yeah yeah!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this properly belongs in After the Show but I know this thread was already here.

The Feelies show was excellent. I was going to write something but my friend Mark who I went with reviewed it for the Boston Globe.

Feelies play like they never were away

By Mark Shanahan, Globe Staff | October 13, 2008

It's unreasonable to expect a band that gets back together after a prolonged absence to sound like its old self. Or is it? The Feelies, performing in Boston for the first time in more than 15 years Saturday, proved it's at least possible.

Playing to a shamefully sparse crowd at the Roxy, the Feelies looked neither fat nor happy after the long layoff, and their sound was just as fierce. The two-guitar attack of Glenn Mercer and Bill Million was as manic as ever, but also muscular. If anything, time away has enhanced the band's kinetic charm.

The group, which released four fine records before breaking up in the early '90s, could not have been heartened to see so few faces in the crowd, but if they were disappointed, they didn't show it. Mercer and Million, backed by metronomic drummer Stanley Demeski, bassist Brenda Sauter, and percussionist Dave Weckerman, crafted a chiming cacophony worthy of their pre-punk progenitors the Velvet Underground.

It took a few songs for the Feelies to uncoil completely, but they finally did on "Deep Fascination," with Mercer's sneering vocal and snarling fret work in perfect proportion.

As they implicitly acknowledged with their encore cover of "Paint It Black," the Feelies do not have a broad musical palette. Like VU, they are a jam band in the best sense: They settle into a groove and then dig deeper.

It's a testament to their talents that the Feelies did not immediately trot out chestnuts from "Crazy Rhythms," their seminal 1980 LP. Instead, the band drew heavily from their later LPs, "The Good Earth" and "Only Life." (By our count, the band played just two songs, "Doin' It Again" and "Sooner or Later," from their final album, released in 1991.)

The strongest songs of the band's fevered, 90-minute set - "Away" and "Slipping (into Something)" to name two - featured rhythms that were indeed crazy, with Demeski's drumming and Weckerman's wood block keeping a maniacal beat while the unsmiling Mercer bounced around in his oversize "Street Hassle" shades. (The between-song small talk was handled by Sauter, who promised that the band would not stay away so long next time.)

After a frenzied version of "Too Far Gone," which sounded like the "Batman" theme on mescaline, the band reached back to its influential first LP, playing potent versions of "Raised Eyebrows," "Crazy Rhythms," and "Fa Ce La." Their thirst not quite quenched, the crowd called the Feelies back to the stage two times, and were treated to covers of the Velvet Underground's "What Goes On," Wire's "Outdoor Miner," Jonathan Richman's "I Wanna Sleep in Your Arms," and "She Said She Said" by the Beatles.

With that, the Feelies waved goodbye again.

the crowd called the Feelies back to the stage two times, and were treated to covers of... Jonathan Richman's "I Wanna Sleep in Your Arms,".

:wub

i don't know anything about the feelies, but THAT makes me want to check them out.

came in here to post that the feelies will be opening for Yo La Tengo on new year's eve in new york!

i don't know anything about the feelies, but THAT makes me want to check them out.

came in here to post that the feelies will be opening for Yo La Tengo on new year's eve in new york!

I recommend that everyone know a lot about the Feelies. Their cover of I Wanna Sleep in Your Arms is great. It's a lot like the Modern Lovers's version only about 33% faster.

And just to clarify, the Feelies/Yo La Tengo show on New Year's Eve is actually in Montclair, New Jersey.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

via pitchfork:

The Feelies Plan First Album in Two Decades

Fans of ancestral indie rock, get excited. In 2008, New Jersey postpunk pioneers the Feelies reunited to play a few shows and reissued their classic out-of-print albums. They must've liked the way things went, since they're now getting ready to release a new album, their first since 1991's Time for a Witness.

The new LP is due next spring on Bar/None, produced by band members Bill Million and Glenn Mercer. As of right now, the band has finished recording the album's basic tracks.